Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't stop sewing scraps... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-stop-sewing-scraps-t222092.html)

Jingle 05-23-2013 02:02 PM

I need to catch that bug too. I made 7 or 8 quilts out of scraps. I wanted to go back to using regular size fabrics. The scraps are growing by leaps and bounds.

carolaug 05-23-2013 02:18 PM

I have been doing the same. The scraps seem to keep growing. I finally filled a garage bag full of scraps and donated it. It seems never ending. I will cut up some more tumblers to make another, at the same time as making a new quilt. That will create more scraps...sigh....

ckcowl 05-23-2013 02:25 PM

that's WONDERFUL! and when the scraps are finally down to a small amount and you are ready you will happily move back to your on-going projects- don't feel guilty- or question it- be happy that you are making good use of those scraps- I've been known to grab a basket full of scraps & carry them around with me for a while- hand sewing them into blocks- if I grab the small ones I cut muslin squares to use as foundations & stitch them to that- if they are larger scraps I sew them together like you are doing- it is fun to see what can come of them...and always nice to see the abundance shrink :)

Pat625 05-23-2013 02:30 PM

I love scrappy!! Right now finishing hand quilting for one of my DD...Then have a UFO to finish (lone star) as a test/check before I begin one for another DD. Then I will reward myself with a scrappy!!

barri1 05-23-2013 03:36 PM

I've got the disease, too.. I am making four of the same style scrap quilts for my staff.. Can't wait until they are finished..

Sewnoma 05-23-2013 03:52 PM

I just got done finishing a 72x72 quilt top doing just this very thing. For me it was a very necessary antidote to the OBW I've been working on. I love those quilts but to me, all those darn triangles feel very fussy and stressful and it takes me forever to get it all put together, so the unstructured fun of a fast, scrappy crazy quilt was (ironically) just the ticket to keep ME from going CRAZY! LOL

Funny how my scrap bin doesn't really seem any lower, though. Guess I'll just need to start another one! I'm only MAYBE 1/5th done with the OBW top. Probably more like 1/6th. Urgh.

judy5cents 05-23-2013 03:59 PM

And then when you get them sewn together do you look thru them to see how nice they look and pick out which block is your favorite??? This is what I do with my crumb blocks, I am making them 4 1/2 inches square and sometimes I just sew crumb blocks... one day I will have enough for a quilt.

phranny 05-23-2013 06:14 PM

I've been stuck with the same inspiration this week as well! I'm sewing the scraps on to diamond shaped muslin pieces. I have two medium sized containers jammed with scraps that was really frustrating me, so when I stumbled across this pattern something clicked. I have been sewing every chance I get, setting a goal to make at least 10 diamonds a day. There are something like 529 diamonds in the quilt, but I fear there may be enough for 2 quilts.
Like you, I have other projects waiting, but this one I just can't put down.
Keep going on your quilt, and let's see it when you are done!

bluteddi 05-23-2013 06:19 PM

I sew my scraps together all the time. to me sewing scraps are a no brain activity. When I don't feel good or the fibro is flaring , I need to do something for can't focus.. I sew my scraps... kinds of a scrap of therapy..... :-)

alikat110 05-23-2013 06:42 PM

Sounds like it is taking on a life of its own. I believe there is a reason not yet revealed and yet, when It is, you will have an "Ah Ha" moment. Just roll with it. I would love to see some pictures.