Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Can't stop sewing scraps... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cant-stop-sewing-scraps-t222092.html)

ssnare 05-24-2013 04:59 AM

I think the reason that it is so addicting is that you do not have to concentrate on any particular pattern. I started to sew scrapes together end to end. Then when you have a long strip, fold it in half and sew that together. Keep repeating this. This was suppose to be a 40 minute quilt and it has turned into a 40 hour project with more to go. LOL. It is like therapy.

ssnare 05-24-2013 05:02 AM

Another way is to use your scrap pieces as leaders and enders, sewing 2 scrap pieces together when you are working on another project. This way, you are building 2 projects at once and you do not get the little bird nests under your project.

tessagin 05-24-2013 05:14 AM

I like to call that therapy for whatever reason. Don't need an antidote. I also believe you're being guided because of an upcoming event you are not aware of yet. Don't fight it just go with the flow.

MarthaT 05-24-2013 05:47 AM

Lately I've decided I need to clear out my scraps that I've cut into 2 1/2 on. strips and 2 in. squares so I can make room for more fabrics in my little stash storage area. I've committed to not letting my stash outgrow that area! So I can't get fresh, new fabrics if there is all this old stuff taking up the space. So I took the strips and quickly sewed them up into a "Jelly Roll Race" quilt top. Whew! That didn't take long. That will be a charity quilt. Now can't wait to get started on the 2" squares. Have a block picked out for that too, but I don't know what it is called. Just don't have enough hours in my sewing room to make them disappear quickly enough. Maybe it's a late spring fever many of us are getting.

QuiltFaerie 05-24-2013 05:47 AM

OMG, this is so funny! I swear that my scraps start breeding in my basement the minute I walk out the door because there are always more when I come home. Not to mention the ones that quilty friends gift me. LOL. I just love working with scraps.

Sometimes, when I am tired and don't want to concentrate but do want to use, I sew scraps. I can this my junk sewing. I love it, but I don't have to think to do it.

I am also a huge Bonnie Hunter fan.

patticriss 05-24-2013 06:03 AM

I have recently been experiencing the exact same thing. I have more scraps than I can stand and all of a sudden I have become obsessed with using them. On the upside, I have three new quilt tops!

Grace MooreLinker 05-24-2013 06:22 AM

last year i started working on my scraps still have not used all of them. need to get back to that basket, it's over running again.

charlottemarie 05-24-2013 06:24 AM

That's a nice addiction! I wish that bug would bite me soon. I have so many scraps it's taking my studio over!

Emma S 05-24-2013 06:32 AM

Love scrappies. So many great books around to help you along. One of my favorites is "Scrap Quilt Sensation" by Katharine Guerrier. Right now I am consentrating on my many UFOs but really want to do a Scrappy.

WMUTeach 05-24-2013 06:49 AM

This sounds like a really fine addiction to me. I did the same thing two years ago. I put all of my scraps in two big brown paper grocery bags with the goal to use them all up that summer. HA-HA I made 6 quilt tops and only reduced the volume of scraps by one half of one bag. The more I cut the more scraps I had. The only explanation is that the quilting elves came in every night and refilled the bags while I slept. No other possible reason. Keep scrapping and think of it as creative house cleaning. Tee-Hee!