Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Case for machines?

Carrying Case for machines?

Anyone know of a place that sells carrying cases with wheels less expensively ? I need a bigger one (At least 20" long) and boy, are they a lot of money!

So far, the least expensive ones I can find are well over $100.00 USD on Amazon.

The ones a JAF are not long enough.

Watson

I think you just might have to bite the bullet on this one. I would actually go back to your sewing machine dealer and see what might be specific to your size of machine. Fabricland cases are expensive even if you are a sewing club member. I did check Home Depot and Harbor Freight because my friend uses a wheeled toolbox for her machine, but they didn't have anything online that was big enough and they were still pricey.

I modified a carry on suitcase for my smaller Janome (cut the styrofoam to accomodate the pull out handles and the machine lies face down into the styrofoam) Could you do something similar with a larger suitcase?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

I have seen some people buy a hard case and then use a bungy cord to anchor the machine, on one of those small fold up dollies (trollies) like this one. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magna-Cart-Ideal/19536341 Hubby and I use them to move speakers and commercial karaoke equipment. Another benefit for you would be the area on top of the machine that you could carry a bag or a box with your sewing & fabric items. Now you need 2 bungy cords. I have seen lots of people using these at the large quilt show in Houston, TX as they are going to classes. We bought ours about 10 years ago at Sam's Club.

Edited to add: This is a 6 inch by 14 inch ruler on the base of the Magna Cart. They are very stable and fold up to a about a 2 foot by 14 inches wide by 3 inches deep so don't take up much space. Now thinking about it, I bet those that have the 3 sets of wheels would also work very well and be easier to go up stairs. They are lot pricier. https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view...yABEgImrvD_BwE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-30-2017 at 04:57 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I used to transport my machine in rain and snow for a sewing group. I never wanted to use a fabric case because of the wet and dirt. I found a plastic tub that fit, put my fabric inside it as padding, then I put the tub on a wheeled luggage carrier. I had room to add my sewing tool kit on top (I use a fishing box - less expensive than one from the sewing store). The luggage carrier has two thick bungy cords to hold everything together. It kept my machine clean and dry. I do something similar even with my Featherweight. It lives in a tool carrier I bought at Lowe's. It has a hard plastic bottom and lots of pockets, many zippered. Quite handy. I have always found the sewing shop storage solutions are really expensive as compared to the hardware and fishing store solutions.

I use a carry-on suite case for my small Janome. I think it was about $65.
    Good luck
    Mike

Quilt in a Day had a terrific sale on sewing machine cases recently. Extra large ones too. I would sign up for the daily flash sales from QIAD. The cases go on special there quiet often.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You should check out Harbor Freight. I bought a 20-24 inch case on rollers with pull-up handle for a good price and it has pockets on inside and out. Just in black but it works for what I need.

Here's a link to the one on Harbor Freight

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-in-...bag-61925.html
    Sue

I have a Bernina 820 .... and it is long and heavy.
    To be honest, I don't think I would want to put it into a case and add more weight!
    It came with a slide-over padded, cloth cover and that is what I use.
    The cover has zippered pockets for me to carry the foot pedal, cords, etc. with it.

Yes, I know that it does not give full protection,
    though I figure it is safe enough for where and how I travel with it.

I only wish that it had the hard shell cover, that a lot of the older machines had.

Ditto to what others have suggested ....
    .... contact your dealer and see what options they may have, or what they have seen others using.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

SuziSew, that bag from Harbour Freight might work well.
    Thanks, everyone for your ideas.

Watson

I found a hard-sided computer case on wheels at a thrift store for $20. It's similar to what used to be called a catalog case.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Suzisew for the link on Harbor Freight. I will check this out myself. DH goes to Harbor Freight often. They are easy to order from too. DH just ordered me a new machine for our 47th anniversary, came in yesterday and I will need a carrying case or it - like I really needed another machine, I already had 6 plus my serger but hey no one can have too many right? It is a Toyota J34 for sewing on denim, has many other features lots of decorative stitches and will sew on apparently any type of fabric, I haven't threaded it to try it out yet.here were several attachment feet with it, including a button hole foot.To take a gander at it go to Mr. Vac and Mrs. Sew's site to check it out.

You might consider one of the rolling cases (catalog case) that open at the top. I use one for a spare machine and I saw one at a thrift store for under $10 a few days ago.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Quote Originally Posted by jquilt214 View Post
    You should check out Harbor Freight. I bought a 20-24 inch case on rollers with pull-up handle for a good price and it has pockets on inside and out. Just in black but it works for what I need.

This case is only 10" high. Will that be high enough to hold your machine and any accessories?
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

purchase in inexpensive rolling suitcase and if necessary, add in a layer of mattress topper for extra padding. I use this technique for transporting mine when I travel and it's working perfectly. With the right sized suitcase, you even have room to include all your notions and tools. lots of cheap ones at thrift shops as well as inexpensive new ones.
    Kate

Quote Originally Posted by ktbb View Post
    purchase in inexpensive rolling suitcase and if necessary, add in a layer of mattress topper for extra padding..............
    ..... how about practice FMQing pieces?

My son gave me this for Christmas one year. The top holds my project, the middle holds my tools and the bottom holds my machine. Can't tell you how much I love it!!!!
    Love to quilt

Gloria C

Look on line for non-specific rolling suitcases. There are so many choices out there you may be able to find something that works that isn't so expensive. It's hard to find something sturdy enough in construction to offer protection for your valuable machine since most non-specific ones are made for clothing, etc. Don't forget the local hardware stores, and the chains like Harbor Freight, Lowe's and Home Depot. Especially since "the season" is coming up and stores bring in specialty, one-time items for gift giving. Good luck and do let us know if you find something special!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

That's very cool, Gloria. Where did he get it?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Blog Entries
    I have the rolling toolcase from Harbor Freight. It fits my Brother 1500 perfectly. You can't beat the price.

A friend of mine suggested looking at Harbor Freight ....for their heavy duty rolling cases that hold tools and equipment. I am not sure if there is a 20" long tote.

I have 3 of those harbor freight totes. 2 for sewing machines and one for my Go! Big. I do add padding around the machine after it is loaded in the tote. I know it isn't as protected as a $300 Tuto, but it works for me. Oh, I took my machine into the store with me to make sure it would fit when I bought my first one.

Today, an incredible thing happened.

I went to a show with a friend and we took our horses. She trundled out this big case with all her show accessories in it....I took one look at it...A Tutto. I asked her where the heck she had gotten this case from? She told me that her boss had been cleaning out her Mother in laws house and was throwing it out....There was another one, slightly smaller...Did I want it?
    What? Do I want a Tutto case...Well, let me think...YES! Tried my machine when I got home and it is a perfect fit. Not a mark on it.
    How's that for right place at the right time, for both of us?
    Name:  tutoo.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  211.7 KB
    Pretty thrilled with this find!

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    What? Do I want a Tutto case...Well, let me think...YES!
    .......And you had to stop and think?

Great scoop!!!!! .... and who would have thought about it being right there right amidst the horses.

Sure hope that your showings today were as good as this find.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    QuitE, I never used to put my machine in a case either and it worked for a while. Eventually, a rough road and tight curve proved too much and the timing went out. Had to take my Baby to the sewing machine hospital. Decided that a case would be the better way to go - heavy or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast