Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cat odor >

Cat odor

Cat odor

Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 AM

I have been a cat breeder for 20 years--the very best thing is white vinager. use plenty. soak the spot and blot the first time to get the urine out then soak again and let it dry. It works even better than the enzyme products and is cheap.
Robin
Bailwick bengals
Old 10-16-2011, 10:19 AM

How lucky you are to have bengals. They are beautiful and smart and busy. Thank you for the heads up on white vinegar. I'm going to buy a gallon or two.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:53 AM

we had the same problem with our old cat. we use the "skunk Spray" recipe we got from the vets office. I donn't have it anymore but I know it contains dishsoap, baking soda and peroxide. you can search it on line. we've used it for new puppy accidents, baby accidents, cat not-so accident, and ofcourse for dogs sprayed by skunks (frequently)
Old 10-16-2011, 01:42 PM

This pet urine will prentrate into the subfloor or cement. There was aermodel on HGTV where they had to remove carpet, then treat the floor with something. {It was on a basement concrete floor. Search HGTV to see if you can get the formula and procedure. Best wishes. Thank goodness it is an old carpet. See if the cat has a urinary track infection. Once they start this, it may be difficult to break them of it.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:56 PM

My story: I went to look at a home over 10 years ago. Walked in (and my dog Sallie was with me) and I love the house. Great floor plan, just right for me & 3 of my children. Untill.... Sallie kept marking her territory in the house. The guy kwptr telling me "That's okay". He wasn't bothered at all. Needless to say I made one more attempt to see teh place at a "spur-of-the-moment" time and when the front door opened we couldn't go in.

Well anyway my friend convinced me to take the place The price was perfect) but I couldn't live it until I pulled all of the carpet out down to the concrete foundation, primed the concrete twice, treated it with some product for dog & cat, lay twice as much padding and lay new carpet through the entire house!

Pull up your carpet, prime and treat the foundation and lay something else other that carpet!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 PM

I bought some stuff at my Vet's that worked well. It's a spray but I just dumped it on and let it soak!
Old 10-17-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
Try making a mixture of hydrogen peroxide / lysterine & water in a spray bottle. 1/2 peroxide/lysterine to 1/2 water.

Spray the urined area & blot with a clean white towel, repeat as needed!
In addition to this "natural" remedy - Vinegar and water is hard to beat. I used this years ago and it seemed to do the job. I just mixed it about half and half in a spray bottle, sprayed the carpet rather heavily, let it soak a minute or two, then used white paper towels to blot it up.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Have you tried plain old vinegar??? It's cheap and very effective. You will need to dilute it a little, then spray on the spot and dab it with a dry cloth. Good luck!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM

I use to use PDZ on my horse's stall mats and it worked great!