Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Catching Up... >

Catching Up...

Catching Up...

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM

on turning and handsewing bindings on 4 quilts that need finishing. It's killing me to not be at the sewing machine piecing or quilting, but these 4 need to be finished. I seem to get stuck at this final step and they just pile up on me. I have 3 out of the 4 done (3 are for Christmas gifts and the last is for me), so I'm feeling pretty good (except for the hole in the end of my right hand middle finger - just can't use a thimble!). I keep saying to myself "finish these quilts and then you can piece the next one on the list"!! Does anyone else suffer from this same illness??
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 PM

Do I ever. I can look across the room right now and see six that need binding. It seems to be the hardest thing for me to get done.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:28 PM

I have 4 quilts and a wall hanging waiting on binding right now. I just hate that part.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:30 PM

For the last 8 years I have been turning my bindings by hand and enjoying the process. For the least two Quilts I have sewn then in the front, turn them, glue the back stitch and in the ditch from the front. The more I practice the better I get at it. You can apply cording in the front to hide the stitches and add a little interest to the edge of the quilt. I make a lot of wallhangings and when I finish them completely by machine the corners lay better against the wall. Some of it is due to the fact that the tension is the same all around the quilt. When you do it by hand you don't always pull with the same tension and sometimes the edges are wavy or the corners turn up.

I have made many large quilts and they are all turned by hand, but I may make my next big one by machine as well. Is a lot quicker.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM

BINDING???? you mean we are supposed to bind them?? First you have to quilt them....that will be my 2011 goal to quilt and bind....have so many quilt tops stashed away in a drawer...have been afraid to quilt by machine, did hand quilting years ago, but being in 2 quilting groups in town and being out here I feel like I am ready for the plunge
Old 12-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Oh yes! It's my least favorite part. You are not alone!! :D
Old 12-05-2010, 08:51 PM

Whew - good to know I'm not alone!

Colorful Quilter - I know what you mean about having many finished tops. I'm afraid to pull out that under the bed storage container and look inside it for fear I'll faint!! That's where I stash my many finished tops that I'm sure I'll finish "someday"!

Maride - I do the SID binding for wallhangings and doggy/kitty quilts, but just have this thing in my head that says people quilts must be hand turned!! Darn those head things!

To the others - thanks for the support and knowledge that I AM NOT ALONE!!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:38 PM

LMAO! I actually let mine pile up to 9!!!
Still have one left to finish off. Please someone invent a pill for this!

Sorcha
Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Same here! I am much better at starting quilts than I am at finishing them! LOL:)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:46 PM

I hate hand work on quilts. Just found this tutorial on faux piping binding that you can sew everything on the machine! Going to try it on my next quilt. http://tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010...-tutorial.html