Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cathedral Window - by hand? >

Cathedral Window - by hand?

Cathedral Window - by hand?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by joanelizbay
I made one years ago but I sewed the blocks together by machine but I used a whip stitch to sew the top pieces. I find when I move it much the stitching can come out and I am constantly re-doing some of it. I think it would be hard to use a machine to do all the blocks but it would probably be more "sturdy" if you could. I loved this quilt but it does take a long time to finish. AND its very heavy when its finished. My favorite quilt I have!
I'm glad you mentioned the stitching coming out. I've questioned this in my mind, so I will be careful to be sure and stitch carefully. I can hardly wait to get started. I think I am going to try to make a pillow first to work the kinds out and then go on to the quilt. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Banned

I did mine by hand many years ago; it was restful work.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ellie'sNana
Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am
i'm sure you could make this "by hand", however i wouldn't recommend it. i have started one in denim & cut most circles with pinking shears! i don't work on this every day-it is very time consuming.
sewing the squares i'm going to use a really tight stitch-more than 12 per inch--that's for sure-don't want to repair that ever!
when you add your squares to the centers, they could be basted in but i'm just going to lay them in w/o sewing them---b/c the stitches will show on the back!
{you will be catching them underneath when you sew the top flaps down anyway} & then i will use a fancy machine stitch on the curves!
I love the idea of using a fancy stitch for the curves. I am almost thinking of doing two quilts (not at the same time) but hand sewing the one and machine sewing the other. thank you for your help.
A friend of mine connected all the blocks and tacked down the curves with a decorative stitch by the row, in a soft/flat "S" curve left border to right border, then flipping it and repeating.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM

I did this by hand and it is just like a whip stitch to put it together. I loved making it, it was buried with my 2nd grandchild.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM

I have been working on a cathedral window by hand for the past 4 years. It is an ongoing work, which I work on it and then put it away for months.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:45 AM

My aunt did a CW quilt entirely by hand. Took her five years. It is beautiful. Don't know for sure, but think she used whip stitch.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM

i have done a cathedral window quilt. it was a large one-probably would fit a queen size bed very good. i made it by hand with cast over stitches. mine was made in blocks that were potholder size. it took me over 60 yards of muslin and then i used scraps for the windows. it took me 5 years working on it. my husband played softball alot on the weekends and i would take it with me. it caught everyone's attention where i went and i could do it in rows where i didn't have to take the whole quilt along with me. i made it for my son but he has not accepted it yet. he leaves it with me because he is afraid something will happen to it and he knows how much work i put into it.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

If you go to Search and type in Cathedral Windows you will get lots of pictures and help.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 PM

I'm working on a miniature forever cathedral quilt all by hand. I just slip stitch the seams because they are covered over with the print fabric inside. I'm using a different print for each 1 1/2 in square from all my projects plus some given to me. It is my go to project when on the go and the other one is not portable yet. Enjoy anything you do is a joy to you and others. In miniature it could be a table runner or a doll blanket if i ever get grand babies.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:09 PM

it makes great placemats and potholders too. very pretty and you can custom the colors you want.