Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: cathedral window

Blog Entries

cathedral window

Hello everyone, I am wanting to make a cathedral window quilt, except I would like to use big blocks. I see lots of tuts and videos where they are using a 6 1/2" denim backing but I would like my blocks to be 10" because its for a king size bed and it will take forever if not. I can't find the right measurement for this, does anyone know where I can find a chart for the exact size to cut the square and the circle? I hope this makes sense. I am wanting to use a denim back and a cotton front, should I also use batting or will the denim be enough? I'm so confused, maybe someone can enlighten me here, I hope lol. Thank you all in advance for reading my post and for those of you that can reply.

This method you can use any size square you would like, she is using 5 inch but she specifically says you can make any size. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...1D&FORM=VRDGAR
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

Draw a 10" square on paper, then draw a circle around it that just touches the corners of your square. That should be your circle size. This makes the mock cathedral windows used for denim.
    I, personally, wouldn't use batting. A king made of denim will be very heavy.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Denim is going to be very hard to fold and hand stitch anywhere. Try a few blocks before you cut them all for a king size quilt. You may want to reconsider your pattern choice. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your reply and for the fabulous links. Native Texan thank you so much for the tutorial, its so simple the way you present it, love it.

I can't imagine how heavy a true cathedral window quilt made of denim would be. I started to make one using quilting cotton and realized it would be really heavy - made a table runner instead of a king sized quilt. Good luck.

Missouri quilt works has a tute. She used inch squares but you could use any size

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
    Denim is going to be very hard to fold and hand stitch anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
    I can't imagine how heavy a true cathedral window quilt made of denim would be.
    I think (hope, really) that the OP is talking about a faux-cathedral window quilt. There are quite a few tutorials out there that use denim for those.