Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cats in the sewing room??? >

Cats in the sewing room???

Cats in the sewing room???

Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM

I currently live in an apartment where they allow small dogs, but no cats, and my last kitty has since passed away. I had two girls, Shannon and Persephone. My Persephone (yes, she did beleive she was queen of the underworld and she HATED my ex husband) used to sit in my lap or next to the sewing machine and try to catch the spool of thread at the top of the machine. I used the dining room for a sewing room when married to my ex. I will never forget the day she tried to eat some pretty purple thread I had on the counter - that I thought was out of sight and where she was NOT supposed to be anyway - and happened to get the needle the thread was attached to, stuck in her mouth. A heart stopping trip to the vet and the subsequent removal of same made me severely OCD about my sewing supplies. Fortunately, it did not cause any permanent damage, an dshe lived for 5 more years, but, again, I am now severely OCD about ALL sewing supplies. I could not keep my girls out of whatever room i used, but I could keep the hazards put away. Shannon always sat next to my feet so she could keep them warm. I love kitties in the sewing room. My new dh (my high school sweet heart 20 odd years later) shares a craft room (he builds models) with me now and I always have the company and encouragement from him that my girls always gave me. Life is good!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 PM

i have 3 longhaired cats- 2 are Maine Coons. Those 2 are not allowes in my sewing room. they seem to cause a lot of problems and messes when they're in there. My oldest cat, Bailey likes to come in and sleep in the big bag of batting pieces that i have stashed in the closet. he sleeps a lot so he is allowed to come in. I used to have a cat that would eat thread. when my sewing was in the laundryroom in the basement, he got my serger thread and strung it all over the house. what a mess! he also ate a balloon ribbon and it was hanging out of his behind. We could smell something(EWW) AND was able to pull it out with no other issues. We try to be more careful about stuff like that ever since that incident. my Maine coon, Angie, likes wool- socks or yarn and she tried to chew up some skeins of my sock yarn that i didn't know she stole. What a sneak! they are like 2 year olds-gotta watch them all the time.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:25 PM

My kitty LeLu was seen pulling the pins out of my pincushion with her teeth and Murray my tom used to pull my straw out of my drink cup. LeLu likes to get up inside whatever quilt I am hand quiltting. She naps in there and when i have to reposition my hoop ar just turn the quilt a bit she just allows me to turn her, too. I dont think she wakes up even!! She i our only cat now and is never far from me. I made a high rise perch for LeLu is my sewing room behind my sewing table and in front of he window from where she can watch me and I wont disturb her!!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 PM

But we love them SOOOOOO very much don't we. Life would not be the same without them.
Until they all have homes,
Wendy B
Old 04-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Oh, let the kitties in! They will be loving it...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62022.jpe   attachment-62023.jpe   attachment-107219.jpe  
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Two of mine like the come in and see if they can get in the closet. The other two only come in to let me know they what to go out. They do go into the other room which is my cutting room and love to sit in the window or got a pile of material or under the rocking chair. I always have to hunt and make sure they are out before closing the doors. Luckily my quilter has cats. One of which always has to inspect the new quilts coming in and going out.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:34 PM

My cat is in the sewing room all the time because the door is open. She hates closed doors. As soon there is laying some fabric somewhere, she sits on it. She sits on unfinished quilt, finished quilt, batting whatever was in my hands before. She sits on pattern because she likes the rustling sound.She never steps in needles who felt on the floor. I'm the one who gets them. :(

Are you looking for the most comfortable place in the house....look where the cat is :-D :thumbup:
Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM

My cats "Ingrid" and "Ibsen" are twin Norwegian Forest cats and they are always in trouble. Ibsen had to have surgery because she chewed the string off my husbands training shorts complete with the plastic end. Not a happy time for any of us! We had to take Ingrid to the vets because Ibsen cried constantly without her. So she had to stay in the hospital for 4 days to keep her sister quiet. :roll:

Ibsen continues to chew things mad of cotton, even pulls shirts out of the laundry basket! We hide the laundry, dish towels out of her reach. I guess she is just BAD!

However, she has never chewed a thing in the sewing room. Weird, huh?

Below are pictures of them. Ibsen on the top and Ingrid in the bucket
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62116.jpe   attachment-62117.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 12:40 AM

This subject is fabulous. Whilst I was browsing for so long,
I couldn't help noticing how many cats and dogs appeared in
avatars or pics. I concluded that we quilters were pretty special people. I am privileged to be in the care of two beautiful cats, oh and a DH.
Moxy is a male Burmese and goes anywhere and does anything he likes. sometimes twice. ( a day that is ) Height is not a problem. cupboards are a treat. Mitten is a princess, British black tip, drives me insane as her white fur on my every surface is most unsightly. but we just step up our
cleaning habits. This 1 yr old has a fetish for cotton, which I have never struck before. whilst hand quilting last year over several months, mitten would not leave me alone, always tried to steal my cotton. I realised pretty quickly that it wasn't good, however we did have some hillarious times watching her antics.
We wouldn't be without our babies, but I will be careful.
We are lucky to have so many priceless moments, I think if
more people had pets, the world might be a better place.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
Originally Posted by Katia
My cats like to come in and check things out, look out the window, all that sort of thing, but they do not stay long. I am up and down too much and I think I disturb them.

I will say that we all need to be very, very careful about threads laying about. The cats I have now are not interested in playing with threads at all. But I did have a six month old kitten that decided thread was great fun to play with. In the process he ate some and ended up having surgery to remove 80% of his intestines. I was just sick about it, and the pain he had to go through because of my not knowing how dangerous thread could be. This kitten was a Maine Coon male that I bought to show and was the prettiest, sweetest cat ever. At six months he was already over ten pounds and would have been much bigger if he had lived longer. After the surgery, he recovered, but never grew any bigger and only lived another six months. The vet said that he was surprised he made it that long. But it sure broke my heart, and I am very careful about thread around all my pets now.
Ooooh, I am so sorry to hear about your kitty!! Such heart break.

Mine aren't particularly interested in thread, either, but I am very vigilant (paranoid psychotic, really!) about thread, string, ribbon on balloons, anything that might be dangerous. It's second nature now, after having cats since 1986.
I had a kitty that seemed "above" thread, yarn and ribbon until one day I noticed her acting very different and discovered a bit of ribbon protruding from her hiney. An emergency visit to the vet on a Sunday afternoon revealed a ribbon about a foot long. The vet angrily (and rightly so) advised me that the ribbon could have gotten tangled in her intestines and killed her. I (or perhaps I should say my kitty) was lucky and the ribbon came out with gentle pulled by the vet.

Another piece of advice...if you ever have a similar incident do like I did...bring your kitty to the vet. Doing it yourself can cause severe injury.

By the way...I have five cats and one dog. Our house is "extremely" small and I have to sew in the office/kitty-dog playroom/sewing room/storage room!