Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cats in the sewing room??? >

Cats in the sewing room???

Cats in the sewing room???

Old 04-16-2010, 03:13 AM

I hear you "Just Beginning" Our place is tiny too.

We "share" the space with 2 cats, my quilting, my husband's computer stuff, office needs. We had to sacrifice having a guest room, so if you visit us... only God knows where you will sleep. :oops:
Old 04-16-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by stitchhappy
I have two cats who I do not allow in the sewing room because they "nap" on my WIP. In reading the board, I see alot of that. Maybe I'll rethink this. They look soooo happy and the only downfall is hair on the fabrics. They sleep on the finished quilts, so why not before they're finished???
I can't send my cat out of the room - I'm her favorite toy and only playmate. I guess I'm soft hearted.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom
i have 3 longhaired cats- 2 are Maine Coons. Those 2 are not allowes in my sewing room. they seem to cause a lot of problems and messes when they're in there. My oldest cat, Bailey likes to come in and sleep in the big bag of batting pieces that i have stashed in the closet. he sleeps a lot so he is allowed to come in. I used to have a cat that would eat thread. when my sewing was in the laundryroom in the basement, he got my serger thread and strung it all over the house. what a mess! he also ate a balloon ribbon and it was hanging out of his behind. We could smell something(EWW) AND was able to pull it out with no other issues. We try to be more careful about stuff like that ever since that incident. my Maine coon, Angie, likes wool- socks or yarn and she tried to chew up some skeins of my sock yarn that i didn't know she stole. What a sneak! they are like 2 year olds-gotta watch them all the time.
I've had a "out the behind" experience before - your cats sound so cute.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:41 AM

I don't have the time today to post pix of my furry kids as I'm getting ready to go to our church's ladies retreat. I will post some soon on this thread. BTW the retreat doesn't start til 5 but I want to go early so I can go to a few quilt shops. I already have my maps ready!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 AM

I know a woman who's cat had surgery twice for swallowing thread. Once the cat starts swallowing the thread they can't cough it up so they just keep swallowing. Now her 2 cats are not allowed in her sewing room. I think you just have to be careful when the cats are around. My DH is allergic to cats, so I'm not allowed to have them in the house.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I had a lovely cat for 17 yrs and he loved my sewing room but one day he tried to eat a tiny bit of poly batting and i got it out of his mouth (I thought). later he ended up throwing up a lot, even his water. took him to the vet and got x-rays and he had a barium enema too. took two people to hold him down for that and the one after that to clear out the barium. the enema did the trick but he wasn't allowed in my room after that. he very nicely laid on the sofa in the next room waiting on me to finish.
now i have 3 cats and none come into my sewing room. just too many things for them to get into, and it's not safe.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM

I, too, am a cat person (and a dog and a chinchilla at the moment!) My children are allowed pretty much anywhere they like. Fortunately, I have never had one who was interested in thread, needles or the like. They just like to laze around on the pretty fabric! Lint rollers are a God-send... I thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone's stories and loved the pictures and names! BTW, I have a long-haired black named Snowball, a short gray named Yoda and a sleek black with a little white named Midnight. All rescue kitties! Keep up the love.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewmom
i have 3 longhaired cats- 2 are Maine Coons. Those 2 are not allowes in my sewing room. they seem to cause a lot of problems and messes when they're in there. My oldest cat, Bailey likes to come in and sleep in the big bag of batting pieces that i have stashed in the closet. he sleeps a lot so he is allowed to come in. I used to have a cat that would eat thread. when my sewing was in the laundryroom in the basement, he got my serger thread and strung it all over the house. what a mess! he also ate a balloon ribbon and it was hanging out of his behind. We could smell something(EWW) AND was able to pull it out with no other issues. We try to be more careful about stuff like that ever since that incident. my Maine coon, Angie, likes wool- socks or yarn and she tried to chew up some skeins of my sock yarn that i didn't know she stole. What a sneak! they are like 2 year olds-gotta watch them all the time.
LOL, It is a breed characteristic of MC to constantly be into some sort of mischeif. No proven conclusive evidence but every Maine Coon owner I know, myself included, knows that they have a penchant for getting themselves into trouble!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by stitchhappy
I have two cats who I do not allow in the sewing room because they "nap" on my WIP. In reading the board, I see alot of that. Maybe I'll rethink this. They look soooo happy and the only downfall is hair on the fabrics. They sleep on the finished quilts, so why not before they're finished???
See the post "Fabric & Felines.." (or the reverse!) Lots of us have quilt guardians.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM

I have 2 kitties, Romeo and Jake, who like to "help" me in the sewing room but I only have 1 sleeping basket for them which they fight over constantly. Not anymore. Today, I bought another basket plus some more flannel, with trout on it no less, and will sleep both on the flannel and in a shirt I will donate to the basket so Romeo will be happy in this basket. Romeo loves to roll around in my worn shirts and/or nightgowns. Hopefully this will solve some of my quilt inspector problems. Romeo is extremely helpful when I'm cutting fabric. He hops up on the mat, stretches on the fabric and lays down and goes to sleep on it. So very helpful, don't you think? He also likes to get up on my cabinet and watch the fabric as I'm sewing (1/4" inspector, perhaps) and then sleep on as much of all stages of the project as possible. I always tell people that my quilts come with cat hair and some dog fur also even though I wash them before givving them away. Never had one turned down yet but it might depend upon the allergy level also.