Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
caution - extreme shrinkage! >

caution - extreme shrinkage!

caution - extreme shrinkage!

Old 05-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I use sheets as backing almost all the time. So far I've never had any problems doing this.

I would be so upset about all that shrinkage! That is horrible. Frankly, I really haven't been hearing good things lately about JoAnns fabrics..
I use sheets a lot also. No problems and it sure is cheaper than backing fabric.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by postal packin' mama
In fairness to JoAnn's, the manager did agree that losing 16" in width was really excessive shrinkage, that I could bring it back and they'd write it off as damaged goods. But since I'll never wash it again in hot water, she said it should be safe now after the two hot-water washings and regular dryings in the clothes dryer.
What do you think? Just wash it in cold water [eventually]?
Will washing in cold water also prevent the Warm & Natural batting from shrinking? Dry on low heat to minimize wrinkling?
I love this board -- so much wisdom from so much experience.
Thanks, everyone!
That would be fine for you, but unless you stitch a label on it with a cold water warning, think about who in the family it might pass down to and what would happen in a normal wash. And if they're like my bunch you get, "But you never told me that!!!"
Old 05-09-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm another one for the Quilt Police!! They are going to have such a busy week!!!

I use sheets ALL THE TIME!! Sorry but its the only way I can afford to do it!

I do buy 110 inch wide sheeting from a very nice man on the market in Leeds when I am in the UK and that needs prewashing as its sometimes a bit grubby here and there - but at £1 a metre I don't care!!! AND he has it in loads and loads of different colours!

I pre wash new sheets out of packets too - to remove dressing and creases. :)
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I've never heard of fabric shrinking that much. Of course I don't wash in hot water either.

I'd take it back with your receipt showing the amount you bought and show the manager. If you don't get results, ask for the dist. mgr.'s address and write them.
I haven't either!
The hot water must be the difference. I never wash anything in hot water.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:23 AM

I prewashed it in hot water specifically to achieve maximum shrinkage before using it because if someone washed it in hot water after I'm dead & gone and it shrank the 16" then, totally ruining the quilt I spent a million hours working on, I'd still turn over in my grave! Hopefully they'd not use hot water, but you never know, as Betty K [above posting] pointed out!
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY, FRIENDS!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM

In doing research for a prewashing quilt fabric for my website, I took a visit to the quilt store and checked the ends of bolts.

I was shocked to find that the manufacturers are recommending (on the bolt itself) for most quilt fabric to be washed in COOL water...sometimes lukewarm...lots marked with "Use a Delicate Cycle". There were even a couple of bolts that stated in black and white...DO NOT IRON...don't iron quilt fabric. Obviously some man in an office came up with that one.

So I pretty much always wash in warm. I figure if washing in warm changes the fabric too much, then better to know before I put it in a quilt and someone else washes it.

Julie
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
I use sheets as backing almost all the time. So far I've never had any problems doing this.

I would be so upset about all that shrinkage! That is horrible. Frankly, I really haven't been hearing good things lately about JoAnns fabrics..
At the Jo Anns where I go, the quilting fabric is poor quality. I think JoAnns fabric has gone downhill since it became a multi craft store.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

16" shrinkage is frightening. Lucky you washed fabric before using.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Wow I think you migjt have saved me from making a mistake too! I'm not ready for backing yet, but I would have been headed there! I really don't have a choice since its the only option here.....guess I might order on line or go to a sheet (which I've never tried).
Old 05-09-2010, 01:11 PM

I really appreciate the warning, I've bought some reasonably priced cotton today for a cot quilt, and i am going to wash it tomorrow just in case. I think I might zig-zag round the pieced top and put that in too, then if it shrinks it is shrunk before giving it away. Very interesting thread thanks.