Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: cedar chest and quilts

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I was told that the wood would eventually harm the fabric that I stored in mine. I lined the inside with self sticking shelf lining and have never had a problem. The lining is slightly tacky so it adhears to the wood. I taped the seams with masking tape so it stays together. It works for me!

Fabric needs to breath. Storing them in the chest would cut off all air. If you do store them in the chest be sure to take them out at least every six months to air them. Do put them in an old pillow case before storing.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I never knew this either. I would have thought it would have been a great idea because the cedar would keep moths away. Hmmm. Glad you asked this question!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I went to an estate sale a while back and scraps from quilts and also quilts were stored in a cedar chest. They had stains because of not being stored or wrapped in tissue paper. I purchased a lot of the scraps. The odor from the cedar was really hard to get out of the scraps. A friend of mine purchased the last quilt. She soaked and washed and repeated several times with ammonia and arm and hammer detergent and borax and vinegar (as I did the same with the scraps). She then hung the quilt outside for some fresh air. Took forever but now the quilt just smells fresh and clean and looks great on her bed. She had to do a couple repairs (not too much)just tucking some threads in here and there. She found that the quilt had been handed down generations and was hand quilted in 1911. She has a pic of it. No matter how old anything is she gives it a purpose. I'll have to see if I can get a photo of it.

As far as I know the only things NOT recommended to store in a cedar chest are metals or papers of any kind. They were made for linens so I can't see how putting quilts in them is bad. I've had some baby quilts stored in mine for over 20 yrs. and they are still in perfect condition.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Red face Cedar Chests

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    I have an old cedar chest, was wondering if it is ok to store my quilts in it. What do you think? Is it safe?
    Please do not store quilts or other fabrics in cedar without some protection from the wood. I've seen too many stained antique quilts as a result of storing in cedar as it has oils. The stains are varying shades of brown and cannot be removed. Placing in a pillow case doesn't work because the oils can penetrate the case and migrate into the quilt.

To use a cedar chest (which does protect from tiny critters eating away at fabric and cotton batt) line the chest with a sheet of aluminum foil or other similar substance (not cardboard or cover the cardboard with the foil) and then store the quilt in a pillowcase or just stack them. The object is to protect the quilt from touching the wood, but having the advantage of bug proofing.

SandyQuilter

I made a Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my DGD when she was born. My daughter stored it in a cedar chest. I now have to take it apart and hope I can get all the brown spots out of it. Thank goodness its only tied.

No the wood will bleed into the fabric and can leave some stains - and you don't want to store the quilts or fabric in sealed plastic for long periods of time either - need to breathe.

never had any problems. I just went trough my mom's cedar chest and things have been it untouched since she passed in the early 90's

Blog Entries
    Here's another good article on storage of textiles:
    http://www.essortment.com/store-vint...ens-15438.html

I have three inherited cedar chests and before I put any quilts in them, I wrap them in plain white sheets first. They can stain from direct contact with the wood. The only way to avoid the wood staining is to sand down the wood and put 2-3 coats of clear sealer on before storing goods in contact with the wood.

Blog Entries
    I had a quilt stored in a box of some kind of wood and it stained so I looked into the subject. Now, to store quilts esp long-term, I got some cardboard tubes from Joann's for free (2-3" in diameter and used two together for longer quilts), wrapped muslin over the tube first, then rolled the quilt (top up) over the tubing and rolled another layer of muslin over that. The quilts are stored in a closet where they are at an even temp. Seems to work fine and they can be shown off easily, no folds to worry about. Plastic, metal and wood seem to be risky.

Blog Entries
    Haven't read all the posts but I recently saw some beautiful crochet items that were stored in a cedar chest and they were ruined with large brown areas that were falling to pieces. One was a large table cloth made out of fine thread.
    TwandasMom

My grandmother stored her quilts and other items she valued in a cedar chest - the quilts were usually wrapped in a sheet or pillow case and pictures, and other items were in shoe boxes or plastic bins. When she passed and all of the grandchildren picked out a quilt, they were in perfect condition. The pictures, not so much but I think it was more from the way pictures were developed a half century/century ago and the paper & film used in old albums. Great improvements since then.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

Lots of opinions here I know - but i'll tell you a quick story - when my sweet mother in law passed, we had a lot of old stuff to go through. In the attic we found a cedar chest - inside were yards of different fabrics and 2 quilt tops that had belonged to HER mother....who passed away in 1976. The fabric and quilt tops looked like they had just come off the bolts / just been stitched...and they'd been in that cedar chest for 40+ years. So...??? I plan to finish the quilts and use the fabrics one of these days.
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Wow! You learn something new each day!

I am so glad to read all the comments. I knew not to store my quilts in my cedar chest; but, not thinking, I had a quilt on top of my cedar chest. Thanks to you, I now have a towel between my quilt and the top of the chest. You may have saved me from damage to that quilt. Thanks!

Storing quilts in cedar chest or wood products

I have a question. If I store my quilts in decorator boxes which are made do paper products will that harm my quilts. I like to put the quilts in coordinating boxes.when giving as a gift. Thanks,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2