Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
chain stitching help >

chain stitching help

chain stitching help

Old 10-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Default chain stitching help

I have been a lurker for YEARS!!!!! I read when I need info and finally have a question I can't find the answer too. It's probably simple, but in my muddled head lately I can't figure it out.

I have a Brother SC6600 and never had this problem before. When I chain stitch my pieces the material accordions after stitching, so when I go to flatten out, the thread at the beginning piece come undone until half way through. I messed with my tension, there is no way to really change the tension for the bobbin. It used to come out of my machine all nice and flat, but now it smooshes (ok that isn't the technical term, but you get the picture).
Old 10-06-2014, 10:10 AM

Do you mean that the bobbin is "mushy" rather than tightly wound? If so, it could be that your bobbin is not winding properly. Be sure that you are correctly placing the thread through any pre-tension areas as it can mess up the bobbin.

Last edited by Cass62; 10-06-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

I don't have that machine, but it sounds to me as if the top tension is way too tight. This will cause the material to gather (because the upper thread is shorter than the fabric); when you cut between the pieces and smooth out the fabric, the top thread is shorter than the fabric. If you leave lots of thread between pieces, then when you smooth you will have enough top thread for the fabric. It would be a lot easier to simply loosen your upper tension, though.

Edit: I just want to mention that I had to read your post carefully because you said "chain stitch". This is a specific kind of stitch that most domestic sewing machines don't make. I think what you meant to say was "chain piece", which is what most of us quilters do a lot of.

Edit2: When you smooth out the fabric, see if it is the top thread that is too short. In this case, after smoothing, you will have a long loose bobbin thread but a much shorter top thread.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-06-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I eliminated most all my bobbin and tension problems by using pre wound bobbins. My favorites are Superior and Fil Tec magna.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:09 PM

my problem with prewound bobbins is I can NEVER find the start of them. I have at least 5 at home that I can't find starts to. and I have had them for years sitting there all nice and wound.

maybe I will try loosening the tension for the top stitch. and yes I mean chain piece.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

i had a similar problem recently... turns out the bobbin was overwound and did not spin freely in the bobbin case.... FWIW
Old 10-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Power Poster

After you get your tension problems solved - I "sew" about half an inch of air between the pieces I'm sewing together - then when I cut the pieces apart, I leave about 1/4 inch of thread on each end.

It seems to minimize the stitching coming undone.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
After you get your tension problems solved - I "sew" about half an inch of air between the pieces I'm sewing together - then when I cut the pieces apart, I leave about 1/4 inch of thread on each end.

It seems to minimize the stitching coming undone.
Good point. I do it too and didn't think about it til you mentioned it....I sort of do it automatically, but yes by air stitching between pieces it locks those threads and less coming apart at the seams! Wonder how many of us do that...
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Good point. I do it too and didn't think about it til you mentioned it....I sort of do it automatically, but yes by air stitching between pieces it locks those threads and less coming apart at the seams! Wonder how many of us do that...
I do, too. Makes me nervous when I see tutorials where the sewist butts up the pieces end to end.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

I am not familiar with the Brother but I have a Bernina and I always use an ender at the end of my stitching or at the beginning. To me, it sounds like a bobbin was not wound properly. Have you recently (within the past year) taken you DSM in for servicing??