Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
chair for sewing room >

chair for sewing room

chair for sewing room

Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM

No arms. Recently got out of rehab for upper back pain. Even sewing for 30 minutes caused pain. You might want to consider getting one with lumbar support. Has helped me. Happy birthday.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM

I'd say without arms also. Whatever you decide, be aware of the weight limit. The warranty is no good if the weight load is exceeded. Guess how I know this.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
sap

I have both types of chairs and like the one without arms for sewing. arms get in the way in more ways than one. besides you can push a chair without arms up under your sewing machine and get it out of the way when you want to.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 AM

In my sewing room I've always used armless chairs at my machines. I have an antique Singer w/it's own bench. The padded bench is comfortable & has storage, but no rollers & not adjustable for height - tho has always worked well for me. The last chair I actually bought for my newer sewing machine table is an adjustable, rolling doctor's stool. I can sit in one space, roll in & out under my machine, turn myself around for the ironing table, sewing supplies, push myself across the room - whatever, & it's easy to adjust the height. Love it & picked it up relatively inexpensively at one of those large office supply stores. It works quite well as a second chair across from my office desk when I'm sharing desk space also.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:39 AM

No arms, and go with him. Many sewing machine dealers carry good chairs with lombar support. Try the ones in your area.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Happy Birthday and for sure find one with no arms. Won't reach far enough under your table
Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM

I took the arms off of mine! I bought a drafting type office chair that goes from normal to really tall to fit my 35" tall sewing cabinet. I just love it.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:57 AM

I have both, one with arms and one without arms. I prefer the one without arms. I prefer that the height be adjustable also to go with various stations in my sewing room== my table, my ironing station, my cutting station.

I agree with quiltstringz. Go and try out some chairs at an office supply store. You might be supprised what design you actually like. After this purchase, you can keep your eye out at garage sales, estate sales. I found my favorite chair, an oak desk chair, at an estate sale for $20. I have 4 sewing stations set up, and a chair at 3 of them.

Happy Birthday!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:08 PM

I like the arms. But that's cuz of the RA so it helps me to get out of the chair.I can raise or lower the arms too. I sat in all of them at Staples before i found one comfortable for me. I also had a coupon but not sure if Staples still has coupons. I also looked at Costco but found their price too high. I suppose you culd order from Walmart and if that didn't work, return it. I did not look at KMart or Sears. Shop online to see what the stores offer, then try out the chair. I don't have problems w/ arms getting inthe way or getting stuck under a table.

Last edited by marla; 03-07-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM

No arms, I had one with arms and got rid of it and got onw without arms. Now I am not knocking everything off and hitting things. Make sure it is comfortable.