Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
chair for sewing room >

chair for sewing room

chair for sewing room

Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Happy Birthday! I recommend a chair that swivels with ability to adjust seat height, and of course no arms.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM

OK, so I'm in the minority. My chair has arms and I like it. The arms are adjustable up and down though. I often times will sit back and use my reverse sewer and find the arms are nice and take some of the strain off my shoulders. I have fibromyalgia and get shoulder fatique easily.

My last chair did not have ajustable arms and they would sometimes get caught under my cabinet but that doesn't happen with my current chair.

I do recommend the 'butt test' as someone put it. I find that I don't sit far enough back in the chair when I sew and my back never touches the back of the chair (except when I scoot back, cross my legs and reverse sew). Maybe I spend too much time reverse sewing?! LOL

Happy Birthday!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:19 PM

I prefer without arms. I had one with arms and they were in my way. I had DH take them off. Now I have a bright red Bernina ergonomic chair. It is the most comfortable, most adjustable chair I have ever had. I love it!

Happy Birthday!

Last edited by nstitches4u; 03-07-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchwife View Post
I would go without arms - sometimes the arms get in the way of being able to fully turn. Also when you are sewing, your arms aren't going to be on the arms - they are going to be out in front of you. I would suggest that you go with him to pick out a chair. My husband is 6 ft 3 inches and what feels good to him is too large for me. Get a good chair with good lumbar support, a back that can me moved to be more upright rather than reclining, a seat that fits your bottom, and the ability to adjust the seat height. Happy birthday!
I agree with all of the above. Measure how high the seat needs to be in order for your forearms to be parallel with the floor when sewing. Bring a tape measure with you when you go to the store. I hope you find a chair that fits you. Happy Birthday!!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 PM

I'm amazed at the responses here! I have 2 office chairs in my sewing room. One with arms and one without. I love the arms! They don't get in my way at all!
Just try 'em out and go with what feels right!
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM

I had a cheap office chair ($25) that worked for a while but the seat height wouldn't stay locked in position. Definitely go for a good quality office chair. One that will provide good back support. Unless you plan on doing lots of hand sewing in the chair the arm rests will just get in the way. The chair I have was my 50th birthday present from DH. It is a well loved and used present.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Probably not ergonomically correct, but I bought a shop stool at Sears. I can scoot all around the sewing room, the height adjusts, and it forces me to get up if I sit at the sewing machine too long. Light-weight and doesn't take up much space. More econimical too.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:06 PM

If you have a wonderful Sewing Machine store look at their chairs. They have wider bottoms (not that you need them) but so much more comfortable when you feel totally supported. Mine is armless, has a bar at the top of the legs (in a circle) that lets me rest my feet on when I can. Mine is a Koala, I got it with my cabinet from Nancy's Notions.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: center"]SewComfort XL Chair [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 AM

I would go with noarms to. They just get in the way. you have to have wheels..
Old 03-08-2013, 07:35 AM

I have one from staples that the arms fold up and out the way. Really like it. It was on sale when i got it. Very comfortable and is on wheels which is great.