Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chair - what do you have? >

Chair - what do you have?

Chair - what do you have?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM

I'd love to buy one of those chairs they have in the sewing machine department at Joanns. I don't know the manufacturer.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM

I have an adjustable chair from Bernina. The first thing that attracted me to it was the fact that it is red---my favorite color. When I sat in it I knew it was my chair. It is adjustable in more ways than any other chair that I have seen. I have had several sewing chairs, but this is the most comfortable.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM

I have an old oak office chair (probably from the '30s or '40s) with a curved back and arms, I have a cushion tied on the seat - BUT ... I don't sit for hours and hours, it makes my sciatica flare up something fierce. So my iron is in the next room, so I get up to press blocks as needed - and my cutting table is high enough so I have to stand up when cutting or trimming - anything to keep moving so I don't keel over with pain or wind up limping, bent over, from my girl cave up to the first floor of my house. I will admit that even though the chair is wood, it is more comfortable than any office chair I could buy today ... they really knew how to make comfortable chairs back in the day. I have its twin by my computer, and it is just as comfy. I found them both at tag sales, they are on casters, swivel and even have a little rocking motion going. Worth every penny I spent on them, I think I gave $5 each, max would have been $10
Old 09-16-2012, 05:46 PM

I have an office chair no arms, bungy like cords, keeps my legs from getting sore
Old 09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
amh

I like to be above the sewing, and so I use a drafting chair (has wheels and is height adjustable) for most of my piecing and FMQ. I have some back issues, and find that a very high chair alleviates the pain, which means I can sew for longer. Being higher up also helps me not get that knot in my neck that seems to happen when I sew for a long period of time. There are times when I use a lower office chair, but not very often any more.

The disadvantage is that you can't get your knees under your sewing table, but that doesn't bother me at all. I kind of prop myself on the edge of the seat. However, if you are thinking of getting one, it might be a good idea to see if you could try one out. A couple of my friends tried mine and said it was not for them.

My theory is that if I can have more than one sewing machine, I can have more than one chair.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM

I too have an office chair with no arms, its great, I roll to my ironing station and to my cabinet, if needed, to get more supplies, Go store to store, chair to chair until you find the right one, be sure it fits you well, you will probably be using it for quite a while, use alumbar support cushion
Old 09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Dee

Good office chair from staples and didn't break the bank. Getting up is a must.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 PM

my hubby bought me a ajustable, armless computer chair with rollers and i love it !!!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 AM

Just an old kitchen chair I painted.No arms straight back. I usually sit on the edge so i will move around alot. I guess I'm to twitchy.Also i have raging RLS. So have to move.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Presently, I have an old 1950's vintage chrome and vinyl-plastic seat, (with 2 foam cushions on it) but I'm looking to replace it with a 24-inch bar stool, with swivel seat, no arms and 4-on-the-floor legs...no wheels for me! Then I can easily sit down, but not too far down, and just turn/swivel myself into position beneath my sew. machine table.

I'm relatively tall and have long legs, but aging hips and knees and I use a regular sized dining table height. It helps to be in an ergonomically correct position.

Hope that helps.