Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Champion weighted cube quilt >

Champion weighted cube quilt

Champion weighted cube quilt

Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
Originally Posted by Becca Bear
When I made my son's vest, I used a regular sewing pattern but made it larger than his normal size to accommodate the pellets being added. It was a very simple pattern with a rounded neckline and armholes that were square in design to fit under the arm. This allowed him to wear the vest over any type of clothing and was easier for him to move in. The vest was large and designed to hang away from the body. The idea is the weight of the vest hanging from the shoulders, not to have the vest fitted to the body. As for how much weight/pellets to add, I just had to guess. As I sewed each channel in the vest and filled them with the pellets, I checked to make sure the vest was comfortable to wear and hung correctly from the shoulders. The weight of the vest needs to be evenly distributed to hang straight across the shoulders. It took just a small amount of pellets in each channel to make the vest hang correctly and the channels were sewn horizontally (double stitched) about 1/2 inch in width across the entire vest. I only filled about every third channel with the pellets, but making the channels is necessary to keep the fabric stable and to prevent the fabric from shifting from the weight of the pellets. I clean finished the outer edge with my serger and then added biased binding to finish the edge. I only had to wash the inner lining with the pellets a few times. I hand washed it and laid it flat to dry. I suppose you could place a weighted vest in a pillow case and then machine wash and dry it. My son wore his vest daily and sometimes he even slept in it. Hope this information helps.
Did you make another vest to cover the one with the pellets?>>
Yes, the outer vest was made of another fabric of my son's choice and I used snaps to attach it to the inner lining with the pellets.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:59 PM

Thank you so much for the link to this blanket. I bought all the materials 2 years ago and wasn't able to figure out the instructions. Today I sat down and started the blanket. Jamie didn't like the fabrics I had picked so I found some large enough in my stash. I have about 10 more rows to fill and sew and I will be done. Hopefully another hour or so tomorrow and I will be done. I will post photos tomorrow. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM

never had heard about this.
It looks kind of fun to make and to use.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 AM

This is a very interesting thread. I have a 21 year old daughter that was disgnosed early on with autism, but she was not a typical case... later her diagnosis was changed to Rett Syndrome (kind of related to autism, but occurs only in girls), but also not a typical case of Retts. She is very low functioning, we have to do everything for her, she has a feeding tube, no communication and is in a wheelchair... but other than that, she is always healthy and seems happy. She has seizures that can't be controlled no matter what meds she is on. She is currently on three and still has several seizures daily. I had forgotten about these weighted blankets and now I am wondering if one would be of any comfort to her. Hmmmm.....
Old 02-13-2011, 01:21 PM

Finished the weighted blanket and Jamie loves it, he picked out the fabric. I think that the handprints are from material I bought to make him a crib sheet. He is only 8, about time I used the fabric right? I pleased with the results, got a little difficult with the weight. I'm attaching photos.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163762.jpe   attachment-163763.jpe  
Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 AM

For anyone out there who is a visual learner, like myself I've included some charts of how I made my son's weighted blanket. Now if I can only figure out how to add this file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Attachment-137388.zip (19.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 AM
QM
Power Poster

Same mechanics, different usage. I make a much smaller version of that to fill with rice for easing leg cramps.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 AM

That's so considerate of you...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 PM

I have the rice tubes for my restless legs to. I love it....works so well...........
Originally Posted by QM
Same mechanics, different usage. I make a much smaller version of that to fill with rice for easing leg cramps.
:thumbup: