Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowenta Iron

My iron is leaking from the bottom, but I have not dropped it and I'm the only one that uses it for quilting.
    I've only had the iron for 2 years.
    Should I just throw it away and buy another?
    If so, what brand is reliable?
    Has someone else had this problem?

Grateful for any suggestions..

thanks,

Iron-less in Orlando

My iron leaks from the bottom on occassion also, but usually only if I hit the steam button before it is fully warmed up and I have found that it will leak if I fill too close to the fill line. Does yours leak all the time?

Rowentas are overrated.Will never buy another one.Leak,leak that's all they do.....

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I went through 2 Rowenta irons in a span of 18 months, I will never buy another !! They arent made in Germany any more they all come from China.

Banned
    write the company they believe their irons are wonderful and need to know of the problems. Can't hurt to write them. My best success if cheapies from the big box stores. They seems to outperform the more expensive ones. I've now had 7 of one of the expensive ones - been exchenged each time it started dumping water. If you pay $6 for an iron and it lasts a year you are still ahead. I've dropped my Black and Decker that I paid $10 for and it stillis going.

Shark did the same thing brand new.And it doesn't get hot enough.

I will never buy another Rowenta. Not worth the money they cost. Didn't last as long as the Black & Decker or my latest Shark that I bought at WalMart. I do like having one that shuts off after a certain amount of time. They can be a pain too by shutting off while you are working, but the peace of mind knowing my iron shut off is worth it. I found myself too many times forgetting to turn it off. When leaving the house I always double check to make sure it is off just to be sure.

My B&D just died after yrs...So I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest one they make B&D 13.00 which is a lightweight and love it...I refuse to spend big bucks on irons they all do the same thing

I've had 3 and they've all leaked.
    I now buy B&D on sale or clearance.
    It's out lasted the 2 Rowenta's.

I have a cheap big box iron too. If I forget to turn it off, it goes off. Only 'leaks' if I overfill it and then when it gets hot, it splatters all over the ironing board. My sister goes thru a lot of irons - she is a rug hooker. She buys used wool clothing and after washing, it needs ironed before she can cut it. She likes the 'cheap' irons I get for her at yard sales, and the heavier the better. Except one time I got the heaviest iron ever, for 50 cents. She agreed that that iron was way beyond her.

For what it's worth... My mother volunteers in the electronics department of a really really big rummage sale that is held twice a year... and she says that every single Rowenta iron that has been donated in the past 10+ years that they have been volunteering doesn't work properly. Almost all of the Black and Deckers do though ;)

Save your money and put it towards other supplies :)
    I'm sorry to hear that you've sprung a leak though :(

One Rowenta is enough, mine will not stay on steam setting. I don't plan to purchase another. Cheap iron does just a good. I have older model B&D, 1970s, it gets hot.

Banned
    I do like my Rowenta (which I got as a gift two years ago), but I never put water in it. If I want steam, I spritz some water on the fabric from a water bottle I keep on my ironing table, and then press. But I do find the Rowenta's way too heavy. It's not weight that does a good job pressing, it's heat. So next time I'm going back to a good old Black & Decker iron. I love them. They get plenty hot, are reasonably priced, last and last and aren't too heavy.

I'm thinking it's another case of things are not made as well as they used to be. My Rowenta was purchased in the 90's & still works perfectly.

I have owned 2 Rowenta's and won't buy another one. I liked the first one but it started leaking so I bought a new one which I don't like. It takes forever to steam and the steam doesn't last very long. Just my opinion.

Susan

i've been through 3 rowenta's and they all ended up leaking. i don't know why it took me 3 to realize i was wasting my money, but i wanted to believe the hype. i've switched to a cheapo brand and love it!

I have 2 Rowentas, neither has a leakage problem, but I also don't put water in my new one. My old one has a thermostat problem, but it is over 10 years old & has been dropped more than a few times. It still works for quickie projects, and is small enough to take places. My new one is a BEAST and gets super hot (hotter than I expected, and have singed a few projects already...), and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BMP
    I went through 2 Rowenta irons in a span of 18 months, I will never buy another !! They arent made in Germany any more they all come from China.
    Doesn't everything? Nothing seems to last more than a year or so and it doesn't seem to matter weather they were cheap or expensive. I have found that things with heating elements ( iron, coffee make, etc) last a little over a year if used everyday, so I just get the cheapest one tha t gets the job done.

I've never used a Rowenta iron(mainly because of all the negative feedback and the expense of one) and have a B&D cheapie. I've used the extra $$ on fabric.

Blog Entries
    I love my Black and Decker $30 iron. It has the shot of steam feature that I love and it works just as well as an expensive model. When it dies, I will not feel that I wasted good money on it, I will have gotten my money's worth.

I read complaints about Rowenta on the board, and bought a Sunbeam, which was cheap and works fine so far. Has a retractable cord. But it's heavy. So I bought a small, travel Rowenta with a handle that folds down, for pressing seams and blocks. I've used it for clothes and yardage with steam and it's fine, but it really is just perfect for pressing seams and blocks. Like everything quilting related these days, the " regular" price is unreasonable, and the sale price of $28 or so is still steep. I had my mom get one also. Gets nice and hot, smooth bottom without the toxic nonstick bottom, and light enough to carry to class and to nit fatigue the hands and arms.

Blog Entries
    oh gosh. i'm still on my rowenta Powerglide 2 with no auto shut off. it's so hard to find one that doens't have auto shut off, i'll stick with this one as long as it sticks with me.
    We need to talk to the President about buying everything from China. i look and look for things that aren't made in China!!

A lot of the Rowentas do leak. The gasket seal goop has failed due to high heat. You can fix it.

I took mine apart, carefully. Cleaned it. Re gooped it with high temp auto silicone seal and carefully put it back together. Works fine now.

I was going to do a tutorial on it and got distracted. The whole fix cost about $8 max (for the silicone sealant). It's easy enough to do.

I'll try to get to that tutorial in the next day or so...

The iron itself is fine... and works great. Its just that the new ones are a much higher temp than the old ones, and the tank sealant wasn't upgraded to match apparently. (A big mistake for Rowenta.... and one they should have fixed by now you'd think!).

My Rowenta is about 2 years old has never been dropped ND HAs never stopped leaking. I would purchase anything but a Rowenta, I am awaiting its death. I will then go to WL-mART AND PURCHASE SOMETHING THERE FOR LESS THEN I PAID FOR THAT Rownta.

About 3 months ago, I got a re-manufactured Rowenta at Big Lots. I paid around $25 for it and the iron itself is stamped "made in Germany". I will not put water in an iron either. If I want steam I use a spray mister bottle with water and spritz my fabric before ironing. I have no complaints so far.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast