Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowenta Iron

Mine is doing the same thing, I stopped putting water in it and use a spray bottle for now, (my second rowenta), so I will find another brand as well :(

Blog Entries
    i have 2 one 10yo

Blog Entries
    I have two irons: my mother-in-law's old GE, made of metal and so heavy I hardly have to "press" down at all! I love it...then a Rival, mostly plastic and will turn itself off when I forget...my hubby liked that idea...but I don't use it as much, because it's always off when I need it on!!!! But if I want steam, then I use it! Neither has ever leaked...and my GE must be at least 30 years old!!!

Blog Entries
    There was a former post where one member took it apart to replace what was causing the leaks. Check it out. I have two ROWENTAs and won't bother replacing them when they die. I've done that too much already. I should have bought stock in the company.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    A lot of the Rowentas do leak. The gasket seal goop has failed due to high heat. You can fix it.

I took mine apart, carefully. Cleaned it. Re gooped it with high temp auto silicone seal and carefully put it back together. Works fine now.

I was going to do a tutorial on it and got distracted. The whole fix cost about $8 max (for the silicone sealant). It's easy enough to do.

I'll try to get to that tutorial in the next day or so...

The iron itself is fine... and works great. Its just that the new ones are a much higher temp than the old ones, and the tank sealant wasn't upgraded to match apparently. (A big mistake for Rowenta.... and one they should have fixed by now you'd think!).
    Whoops I should have read all the posts before commenting. Couldn't remember who it was. I don't think I could ever attempt it, but so proud of you doing so and your success. You're my hero!

My rowenta did the same thing. I use it without steam just for quiltiing and spray starching my fabric because it still gets hot enough. I also had one that after about 6 months wouldn't even heat up anymore. I just buy the cheaper Sunbeams or whatever one fits my needs at the time. No more expensive ones for me.

Suzy

If it heats up well just keep it empty and use a spray bottle with water in it. I never put water in my irons anymore.

I bought a cheap $6 Proctor/Silex Tradition at Walmart and I love it! It is very lightweight - which I needed because of severe arthritis in my hand. I was looking at Rowneta's at JoAnn's but couldn't justify the price vs. our income. I'm so glad now that I had "second thoughts".

I've been wondering if the high-end irons are worth the money. I'm using a Sunbeam that I bought at Walmart 5 years ago and I like it really well. It doesn't leak at all, holds a lot of water, comes with a little cup that fills it with the right amount of water and gets very hot. Also has suto shut-off. I paid about $25.00 for it.

Take it back to the store where it was purchased. They should honor you with an exchange. I used to work retail, and that is what we did. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower126
    I will never buy another Rowenta. Not worth the money they cost. Didn't last as long as the Black & Decker or my latest Shark that I bought at WalMart. I do like having one that shuts off after a certain amount of time. They can be a pain too by shutting off while you are working, but the peace of mind knowing my iron shut off is worth it. I found myself too many times forgetting to turn it off. When leaving the house I always double check to make sure it is off just to be sure.
    I read an article that said a grandchild, I think it was, made a stretch, beaded bracelet to put on when the grandmother turns her iron on. If it's still on her wrist when she stops quilting, she knows to go back and turn the iron off and leave the bracelet by the iron. Love those kids!

I bought a Rowenta 2 years ago because I had heard that they were very
    good. Within less then 6 months it developed a leak. I returned it and they sent me another which also developed a leak.
    I gave up on Rowentas forever and bought a Consumer Reports recommended Black and Decker and have had not trouble.
    -Judy

I have owned 2 Rowenta's and I absolutely won't buy another.
    They both leaked a great deal and in less than a year. Kelela

I had a Rowenta that did the same thing. Read up at Consumer Reports and bought the Black and Decker ( $30.00) I like it a lot better

My experience--from $200+ gravity feed professional tailor's iron to WalMart Black & Decker @ $19.95, they all break after time. Some sooner than later.

Thow it away and check your pocket book for available cash.

Sandy

Blog Entries
    I guess I am lucky. I have had mine for over 7 years and have not had a single problem with it. Only thing I hated was it gunked up on the bottom after starching only 3 shirts. I went through so many tubes of cleaner. Then a Really nice lady at
    Hancocks says to use the Magic sponge on a warm iron and SURPRISE, it works and I am one happy lady. I feel so sorry for the folks that bought defective irons.

Just moved and need an ironing board. What do you all recommend, or don't recommend?

I also had a Rowenta and with the same problem LEAK
    you think they would fix the problem. :?:

Quote Originally Posted by cassiemae
    I also had a Rowenta and with the same problem LEAK
    you think they would fix the problem. :?:
    I have come to the conclusion that these appliances, including sewing machines, that are made in China and are still very expensive to purchase are just not worth it. And the companies are not making them fix these issues and problems. That is why we all need to purchase US made products, when and if they are available. If they are not available,,,then go as cheap as possible for what we do have to buy that is made in China.

I also have the B&D, one in MI and one in FL. have had them for several years,put water in both and have never had them leak. they are also light weight. The steam is very quick, I like the off after 10 min. if it goes off, I just click it back on. Then I don't have to worry if I left it on.

I have had my rowenta for about 4 years and have had no trouble at all. I use the steam or without the steam and no problems at all.

Blog Entries
    Spend money in sending mine to the factory because it was less than a year old bought at Joanns. They stated the date stamped on the iron inside said it was two years old and wouldn't honor the warranty. Bought a second one and it started to leak after 4 months of use. Will never again buy a Rowenta!

I have to say nothing is made with quality anymore and I have just gotten used to that fact and accepted it.
    Today, however, I just picked up a very old hutch made out of solid wood that is 4 generations old and built to LAST! Oh.. the good old days.

I agree - Rowenta's are way over rated. Just go to WalMart and get one for $25. They last just as long as the ones that cost $100+. I have tried them all. It really costs more than an iron is worth to have it repaired.

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta that was purchased in the early 90's and it is great. I think they may be living on their reputation and not keeping their quality up.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast