Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rowenta Iron

I had the same thing happen to me. I called customer service and they said they were sorry and offered me a $5 coupon on another iron, I quickly declined and said I will NEVER buy Rowenta again. I got a Black & Decker at Wally World for about $12, I think, and it is just fine.

Blog Entries
    I have had one Rowenta and mine leaked too. First the steamer quit and then later it leaked and spit and sputtered.. Cheaper irons for me from now on! Fool me once but never twice. LOL

Just threw my rowenta away tuesday, it leaked alot for a long time. My son bought me a new shark iron. Its lightweight ad hot and does not leak.

I wish I had read this before I just bought a Rowenta because I already hate it It is much to heavy to use for any length of time I have had three Sharks and they have never disappointed me but Walmart didnt have any when I went to get another and Rowenta were on sale at Joannes when I got there

I had the same problem over and over and over. I finally bought a new iron and refuse to even put water in it. I couldn't find a dry iron for purchase so I use a spray bottle with water & go steamless and use spray starch.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    oh gosh. i'm still on my rowenta Powerglide 2 with no auto shut off. it's so hard to find one that doens't have auto shut off, i'll stick with this one as long as it sticks with me.
    We need to talk to the President about buying everything from China. i look and look for things that aren't made in China!!
    No use talking to the president about buying from China, we have to buy their products because they 'own' us now. We have borrowed so much money from them that we will never be able to repay.
    I also look for American made products, if everybody would do that- we could get and keep Americans working again.
    As to the Rowenta Iron, I have owned one- loved it for the light weight, auto shut off was nice too. But way too overpriced, I will buy cheaper and spend my savings elsewhere.

Never had a leaky iron (touch wood). I've got Phillips and Tefal irons which work well and my friend swears by her Braun. So there you are - Dutch, French and German brands (probably all made in Taiwan if we look closely).

My last two Rowentas leaked. So I went and bought a "disposable" one from WM. I have had it almost 4 years with no problems. I am going to get a second one this weekend for an upcoming retreat. Penney's has a coupon for $15 off a $15 or more purchase, and I saw a Sunbeam in their flyer for $19. Hmmmm...an iron for $4?? I am so there!!!

Call Rowenta they made replace it or if you have receite bring it back to the store does your iron have a 5 year warranty? if so bring it back to the store. When I buy any thing over $50 I save receipts in a foldered for 5 years. I just bought something back to target got my money back I called the company about the item & they are sending me a new one..

Blog Entries
    I have been using my Rowenta for over a year and not have any problems. I even dropped it, well actually he dogs pulled it off the board. The only time it leaks water is when it is not heated up and I press the steam button. I use city tap water, that can make a difference.

community benefactor stitchofclass2's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You know, I have a Rowenta that I bought several years ago and one day it leaked all over everything. I was so upset! I emptied it, I heated it up, I cleaned the sole plate and the two of us started over. It has been working great since then. However, mine too will leak if I press the steam button after it has turned off (and I didn't notice it) or if I press the steam button before it is hot enough. I have to watch it closely when it turns off. I hope this is what is going on with yours. I swore I would not buy another Rowenta because of the price and my drippy problems. I recently bought a Singer and when reading the directions it said that if you press the "steam" button more than 3 times, it will drip. Ugh!!! Haven't used it long enough to give an educated opinion except that it has a cover over the fill hole. I need that because I sew in the attic and those darn Japanese beetles that look like lady bugs get in the attic and I found them in my iron. I had a heck of a time getting them out. Another Ugh!!! Good luck!

I think for the price of a Rowenta iron you should be able to use almost any kind of water without leaks.What's the point of buying something so tempermental? I hated mine and got nothing but grief from the manufacturer. I had a Sunbeam that was excellent but my husband bought me a Panasonic for Christmas and I had to make a choice. I should have kept the Sunbeam...but hubby beams everytime he sees me using the new one so it was worth a little less heat to please him. He also bought me an expensive Bosch a few years ago. It's a sweet iron and gets super hot. I use it only when I do a final press or when I press backings.

My Rowenta leaked whenever the mood struck it, and usually all over my fabric! I tossed it in the garbage and bought a Sunbeam for $15 (half price on clearance at JoAnn's---was $30!) and I will stick with Sunbeam! That is the brand I had three or four years ago before my alleged "upgrade" to Rowenta----well, fool me once, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Doda
    My iron is leaking from the bottom, but I have not dropped it and I'm the only one that uses it for quilting.
    I've only had the iron for 2 years.
    Should I just throw it away and buy another?
    If so, what brand is reliable?
    Has someone else had this problem?

Grateful for any suggestions..

thanks,

Iron-less in Orlando
    Sorry you've have such bad luck with your Rowenta. I've owned a Rowenta Precision for 7 yrs. and no problems. Sounds like the newer ones are cheaply made.

I have a Shark that I bought at Walmart about 2 years ago, nothing fancy only automatic shutoff. It is still working fine

Quote Originally Posted by Kelela
    I have owned 2 Rowenta's and I absolutely won't buy another.
    They both leaked a great deal and in less than a year. Kelela
    Me too! I've posted on this board before about my own leaky Rowenta and back then there wasn't much of a response. So I bought another, this time it was on sale at Hancocks and I had a coupon, so I did get it much cheaper. That was last year and after 3 months or so....it leaks as well!

So no more Rowenta's!!! When this one dies, I'm buying a cheapie from WM!

I've had mine for about 5 years, love it, haven't had too many problems, leaks every once in a while, but not too often

community benefactor p38flygirl's Avatar
    I have a sunbeam..It has great steam and a large water tank...Also shuts off by itself...I've had it many years..I think I paid $39.00

Blog Entries
    I use an old antique iron I bought at an antique shop. Doesn't have steam but gets really really hot & you have to watch it. I had 2 or 3 Rowentas but will not buy another one. Got the idea of an antique iron from my best friend. She had her mother's iron (friend was 67 so you can imagine how old the iron was) & when my friend passed away, that's the first thing I did was went antiquing! My iron will cook an egg it gets so hot & I love it. Only takes a second to press fabric

I agree about the shutting off. I'ts a pain, put this week a left it on all night. Thank goodness for the automatic shut off. My Rowenta leaks, but I did drop it. When I replace it it won't be with a Rowenta. I'll probably do Black and Decker.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower126
    I will never buy another Rowenta. Not worth the money they cost. Didn't last as long as the Black & Decker or my latest Shark that I bought at WalMart. I do like having one that shuts off after a certain amount of time. They can be a pain too by shutting off while you are working, but the peace of mind knowing my iron shut off is worth it. I found myself too many times forgetting to turn it off. When leaving the house I always double check to make sure it is off just to be sure.

Been through 4 of them a different problem on each one. the last one just started leaking like that. fortunately you can take things back to Kolhs with ease, never lasted longer than a year or a year and a couple of months. last time got a B&[email protected] Kohls when I took it back been over a year and its great!

Blog Entries
    Use your Rowenta as a door stop and go get a different brand iron.

I had a B&D for over 30 years. It worked and I thought it was great. Then I took my first quilting class and the LQS had several Rowenta ProMasters. I was hooked! I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade for anything BUT it's only 6 mos old so my fingers are crossed! I clean it every two weeks and part of the cleaning process involves letting it leak so that it cleans out those little white particles... but I've had no trouble and so much steam!! It does say "made in Germany" on the side.

My Rowenta says "Made in Germany." It is two years old and I haven't had a minute's trouble with it. But I still have my Black and Decker to take to workshops because I'm afraid someone will drop my Rowenta. froggyintexas

I have two Rowentas; bought in thrift store and one was barely used. Both work great but they were still made in Germany and are older models.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast