Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Chance at a Featherweight

There is an auction September 30 and they are auctioning off a featherweight. I am not sure of the condition, but will find out this week. If it is in working condition and excellent shape how high should I go. I have been looking for one of these for a couple of years and am very excited about the auction. Hopefully I will be posting a winning picture on Friday, Thanks and have a blessed week!! :-)

Blog Entries
    Sorry I am no help with pricing- but GOOD LUCK :thumbup:

Check out Ebay then pick your price, It would depend on condition and extras for me.

Blog Entries
    It would depend on condition...and what it has with it..if it is in excellent condition, with attachments and a case...it could sell for more than $300..and the scroll faces are worth more than the striated face plates...price, I am learning, depends on where you live too...

I bought mine a few months back for $250 from an individual who was going to sell it in an estate sale. The machine was in excellent shape and came with the original case, instruction book and all attachments. I think the price today is determined by the state of the economy in the sellers area.

Blog Entries
    Condition, and how the auction goes...if there are fewer people there, it may go cheap

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    If it's in good shape with the case (also in good shape) with the manual, tray, pedal and cords in good shape I would go up to 250, maybe a little more.
    Don't spend too much though b/c they can be found elsewhere.
    Lots of Featherweights around :)
    Good luck and let us know!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Sorry I am no help with pricing- but GOOD LUCK :thumbup:
    Same here!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    so many things to factor in. but read up on the threading, etc so you can test it out..even if you have to bring your own needle, thread, fabric to do so...and do it where there are not a lot of "EYE" upon you!

I have watched auction shows where they have gone fairly low. So low in fact I just wanted to scream. So hope that happens to you. And if there are dealers in the audience they will stop at 50% of the value because they will want to make money. So if you can verify the age (which you can do with just the serial number) and verify that it works, sounds good, is clean, I would say not to go over $300.00. There are too many on ebay and Shopgoodwill.com to pay much more than that.

But I don't know what your area is economically. In southern CA they go fairly high in the quilt shops and dealers. By that I mean $500.00 and more. Of course they come with a warranty and have been serviced recently.

The featherweights are easy to work on, because they are the most basic of all sewing machines. The motor can go out, and some have to be re-wired. But not real costly from what I have heard, some say their husband does it for them but I can't talk to that. To replace the foot pedal is about $50.00.

You might want to go on line and look at the manual to get an idea of just how easy they are to oil and lube. Also you can see what should come with it.

I love mine, haven't had time to really play with mine. But I was able to get all three up and running perfectly within minutes even though when I got them they were misbehaving.

Wish you luck because you will love it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    A chance at a FW. You should do all you can to get it....within reason. Good luck

Blog Entries
    depends on what it is worth TO YOU. set yourself a budget- the amount you would be willing to pay for one--no matter where you found it- and don't go over your budget.
    everyone has their own --- budget- mind set on how much they would be willing to pay for something like this- some people would not pay over $50 some would pay $500- you need to decide on your comfort zone.

Ditto

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    depends on what it is worth TO YOU. set yourself a budget- the amount you would be willing to pay for one--no matter where you found it- and don't go over your budget.
    everyone has their own --- budget- mind set on how much they would be willing to pay for something like this- some people would not pay over $50 some would pay $500- you need to decide on your comfort zone.
    True, but with the abundance of FW's around I wanted to give her some ballpark figures.

Prices on Featherweights really seem to vary. I have found that in my area (Southern Ontario) that they have been selling for a little less than in previous years. Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's List) had several listed ranging in price from $200 to $400. One that was listed at $550 to start has been relisted several times and I now notice that the price is $275 and I still think it is available. Good luck getting your machine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spinnergs
    Check out Ebay then pick your price, It would depend on condition and extras for me.
    Yep...just what I was going to recommend. Most are going for around $200-225. If it doesn't have the case or some of the attachments, less than that.