Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changed my rotary cutter blades >

Changed my rotary cutter blades

Changed my rotary cutter blades

Old 01-24-2017, 07:34 PM

I changed mine too, but the last pack I bought just don't seem to cut that well. What kind of blades did you buy? Mine were the standard olfa.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 AM

Well, I certainly enjoyed reading everyone's comments...yes, indeed, why do I wait until I'm having to put so much pressure...and I actually threw the old one away! Wahoo
Old 01-25-2017, 06:23 AM

Oh, no...didn't realize there was a name for the plastic collection..I too had a similar experience in cleaning out my Mom's hoard, makes me very determined to keep thinning my "collections"
Old 01-25-2017, 10:15 AM
mac

I have found that I do not need to change the blades as often if I clean my blade and oil it every so often. Doing this gets out all of the 'scum' and lint that accumulates under the blade. The lint under the blade will slow your blade down tremendously.

When my blade is not cutting like butter, rolling smoothly or I feel I have to press harder, I take the cutter apart and clean it. I take it apart and put the pieces down in the order that they came out, clean the plastic with oil and oil the blade. I flip the blade over, reinsert it and then I also put a drop of oil on the plastic piece that goes on top of the blade. I put it back together, being sure that the blade is secure, but not too tight. Note: Be sure you only use a drop of oil, as you don't need to go overboard or the extra oil will get on your fabric.

Doing this often, especially if you are doing a lot of cutting or cutting something with a lot of lint like flannel, not only keeps the blade sharper longer, but keeps your hand from getting tired, because you are not pressing so hard on the blade.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 AM

Wow Mac, that's great advice, I'm going to take apart and clean and oil both my rotary cutters tonight!
Old 01-25-2017, 03:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Mac. I really appreciate that tip! Will try it very soon as I changed my blade just before the Christmas season and haven't been quilting lately. Evey little bit helps!

I buy my 45mm blades from Hancocks of Paducah in the 10-pack for just under $30.

Jan in VA
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 PM

Has anyone had any luck using the blade sharpeners?
Old 01-26-2017, 06:55 AM

Just had this discussion yesterday at quilting. A member of the group brought in her power sharpener for us to try out. Conclusion was it's not really worth it. Some did turn the blade over before chucking it. We decided the best was to stock up on blades when there is a sale and change the dang things when they start to skip or get dull.
I think we wait to change the blade just to surprise ourselves when the new blade cuts so smoothly.
I've just started to carry extra blades to my quilting days and I also have sharps containers for both pins/needles and the blades. Toss when full - labeled.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I was sorting through my rotary cutters and I found a Fiskars 45mm still in the package with five blades and the price on the it was $9.95 from Walmart. Clearanced to $2.50. Wonder how long ago that was? LOL
Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 PM
mac

Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Just had this discussion yesterday at quilting. A member of the group brought in her power sharpener for us to try out. Conclusion was it's not really worth it. Some did turn the blade over before chucking it. We decided the best was to stock up on blades when there is a sale and change the dang things when they start to skip or get dull.
I think we wait to change the blade just to surprise ourselves when the new blade cuts so smoothly.
I've just started to carry extra blades to my quilting days and I also have sharps containers for both pins/needles and the blades. Toss when full - labeled.
I also have two kinds of blade sharpeners, oh, make that three. I got a cheap one that has you put two circle things on both sides of the blade and twist back and forth. It is okay in a pinch, but not really worth it. Don't waste your money.

I have an expensive blade sharpener that you put the blade into and add honing oil and then the gizmo has a crank and you turn it like a salad spinner. This one worked fairly well. You can get an extra mile out your blade. But really, it is such a hassle. I feel I have gotten my money out of it, but if you are going to do one blade, you might as well do a dozen blades because it can take time and get a little messy.

The blade sharpener that I almost forgot about is a ruler with a honing thingy in it. It looks like a regular ruler that you can cut your pieces with, but on the bottom it has something that is suppose to sharpen your blade as you pass the rotary cutter along the ruler. As I remember it was rather expensive, but fortunately, I got it on sale at half-price. Wouldn't have paid the price for it otherwise. I used it a few times, but for some reason put it away and I don't even remember where exactly it is.

Moral of the story: Just wait until the blades go on sale and buy a bunch of them. Less time spent on saving a few dollars and there is no mess or hassle.

By the way, I always keep a medicine bottle that is straight up and down to store my old blades in. If you are healthy and don't require any medicine, you can always ask the pharmacist for a medicine bottle that will fit your size blades. I like them because they are sturdy and you can put a whole bunch of blades in them before you have to toss the bottles. In fact, come to think of it, I have never filled one up and have never tossed one out.