Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing quilts for the seasons >

Changing quilts for the seasons

Changing quilts for the seasons

Old 06-14-2014, 07:51 AM

I love seasonal quilts. I have a long narrow window at my front door, and use that space for seasonal display of double sided seasons. I had an old ladder that I cut the back stander off of and sanded, sanded, sanded then painted in beautiful bright marine paints on wood and metal brackets. I hang all my seasonal window quilts over the rungs and some seasonal throws too. Love to so easily choose a new one to hang. It also keeps me aware of just how many spring to summer to fall to winter ones I have, and makes me stay in check in making something new unless I just love it. Then I get to make two!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I do try to change wall quilts with the seasons, but they don't take up much space, but I'm afraid I haven't pulled out my favorite Christmas sampler quilt that I won from Hannah Dustin Quilt Guild many years ago. Before we moved, it always hung in a place of honor on the stairway, but I don't have a place like that now, although I suppose I could just swap out my comforter with the quilt during the holidays.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:41 AM

My good quilting friend, who recently passes away, used to change the quilts in her house for each season. She had all sizes of quilts to use and made pieced table cloths to go with the seasons as well. Her house also caught fire and all her quilts are gone. I have a wall hanging she made for me as a surprise years ago and I have some fabric she gave me. They are now my treasures along with a family quilt I got when my Grandmother died. I miss my quilting friend so much.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:36 PM

My goal is to make and change wall hangings for the dining room, which is visible from the living room. I also want to make some table runners for the buffet. I love to decorate for the seasons, especially Christmas. I have close to 100 nativity sets (some are one pieces, some three, several are multiple pieces. I have two that have the baby Jesus as separate pieces and I keep Him out of the manger until Christmas eve. Those two go under the tree. The others are all over the place!
As for quilts, I want to make a few throw sized quilts for holidays or seasons, but won't do full on bed quilts that way.
I will be doing well to get a a queen one done for the guest bed and a king for the master bedroom. I'd rather make others for charity, but that's just me.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by sandyfullmer View Post
How many of you change out your quilts displayed in your home by the seasons? I try to do it, but storing all the quilts can become a bit if a problem. I don't have a spare bed to spread them on for storage.
A possible fix is to get a large mattress cover and lay out the quilts inside then store under the bed.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by cmsnurse View Post
I love seasonal quilts. I have a long narrow window at my front door, and use that space for seasonal display of double sided seasons. I had an old ladder that I cut the back stander off of and sanded, sanded, sanded then painted in beautiful bright marine paints on wood and metal brackets. I hang all my seasonal window quilts over the rungs and some seasonal throws too. Love to so easily choose a new one to hang. It also keeps me aware of just how many spring to summer to fall to winter ones I have, and makes me stay in check in making something new unless I just love it. Then I get to make two!
I love your idea using a ladder! Vertical is the way to go. I've been making quilts for everyone else and now I'm starting to make a few for my own house. I do plan to change them out on the beds for the seasons. I've also been trying to think of a cute way to store and display them. I'm stealing this idea...Thanks!

~ C

Last edited by tropit; 06-16-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
A possible fix is to get a large mattress cover and lay out the quilts inside then store under the bed.
That's a good idea too. I currently use those roll-out plastic bins that go under the bed, but it's hard to find ones that are low enough to fit under the bed.

~ C
Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 AM

I change out my bed quilts every month, I love sleeping under all of them!

wall quilts..eerm... not so often. I think it's been about 10 years Probably because I quit making wall quilts. They were always made to practice a technique.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM

I change my quilt when I feel like it, not according to a season. Sometime it has something to do with the season because of the heaviness of the quilt. I do have an unused bed to store them. Pity the poor person who visits in the summer and has 5 quilts on the bed.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:39 PM

I have a number of autumn themed quilts that come out every fall. I only have one spring quilt for my bed, and one Christmas quilt for the guest bed. But I'm working on more! I love to change things for the seasons and holidays. Much of my decor is in ceramic figures and other decorations. Working on table runners for every month of the year. I have a small quilt holder on the wall that takes a 20 inch wall hanging, so working on making a bunch of those too.