Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity Questions?? >

Charity Questions??

Charity Questions??

Old 06-19-2015, 06:53 AM

Default Charity Questions??

I am fairly new to quilting (2 Years) I have noticed that lots of quilters make quilts for charities. I enjoy making quilts just for fun and have built up a pile that I would like to donate. I know some have certain standards that they want you to stick to, but are there ones that just take anything? I am in the Northern Virginia area. Also, do you write them off on your taxes? How do you value quilts for charity???
Old 06-19-2015, 07:15 AM

I make lap quilts and smaller wheelchair quilts, usually have at least a doz by Xmastime that I take to my local Nursing Home. They become Xmas gifts for many of the residents who have no family or resources. The facility gets many donations of all kinds for the party they have for residents. I also make a few walker bags and wheelchair bags, as well...these are very appreciated by the residents. I do not claim tax deduction. I enjoy doing this, it gives me purpose in my retirement. For me, (just my personal opinion) claiming tax deduction feels to me like I am selling them. When I can't afford the supplies, I will somehow find what I need at yard sales or Goodwill. Buying at Goodwill helps many people too.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

Emergency shelter's, long term care facilities, police, and fire departments all accept/ appreciate donations. In order to v
Claim your donations on taxes you have to keep Good Records and Receipts. You can not claim a market value. You can only claim the cost of materials you used and have receipts to show the cost.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Our guild gives to Red Cross and to a few local places that help victims of domestic violence. None of our charities have "rules" on what they will accept.

I think it is too much trouble to save receipts for tax purposes...plus I am a bit insulted that that is how they figure the value of a quilt. I prefer just to make my charity quilts as gifts to those in need.

Dina
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM

If they are suitable for children, I'm sure Project Linus would love to have them. You can read up on the program and find a local chapter on their website:

http://www.projectlinus.org
Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM

I started to making quilts for babies and since there small I get a lot more done that a way. I don't know if I get to write them off on my taxes but it doesn't really matter to me either way. My heart knows buy doing charity quilts it helps so many families of small babies.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I think the only groups that impose specific standards are the ones that are national, and they have the standards for good reasons based on how the quilts will be presented and used. Most communities have various charitable groups that are thrilled to get any quilt that is attractive and functional. I personally prefer not to pay for shipping my quilts elsewhere when I know there are people in need in my own community, so I donate through my quilt guilds.

As others have said, you can only deduct the price of your materials or the market value of the object, whichever is LESS, and you need to keep receipts. Your time is not deductible. I believe you can also deduct your charitable mileage.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 PM

How's this for a thought:
When I was working I could do the tax deduction thing even though I could afford to donate.
Now that I am retired I don't have enough incoming to be able to take deductions.
Donations are great for the soul either way.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:57 PM

I recently donated to Coalition to Salute American Heroes. There was a call for quilts from our local quilt shop. I had a number of unfinished tops that I had lost interest in but once the call came I finished them up and donated to this very worthwhile cause that helps severely wounded soldiers. Their email address is [email protected] and you can read more about the organization at https://saluteheroes.org/. They were grateful for all donation quilts of any size or material.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:54 AM

When you donate a quilt to charity, do you add a label? If so what do you put on it?