Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charity quilters-what is your favorite patterns for kids and soldiers? >

charity quilters-what is your favorite patterns for kids and soldiers?

charity quilters-what is your favorite patterns for kids and soldiers?

Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM

I make DP9, 10 minute block, and strip quilts.....fast, easy and a great way to use up scraps. I make quilts for kids using brights and flannels, adding 3D pinwheels wherever possible (the kids love em and is ok with the hospital). For adults, I tend to use natural colors like greens, browns, yellows and oranges.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Quilts for Kids requested quilts for boys awhile back and recently for "teens". I got some fabric with footballs - I think that would work for any age boy. Haven't made it up yet, but I also found some with Spiderman print - red on black.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
I think for the teen and pre-teen boys the fabric is more important than the pattern -- and it is better to do twin sized quilts than the lap size.. For older boys I do more solids or men oriented themes like sports, tools, planes, etc. I also do plaids and avoid florals.
Yes, avoid the florals and use either sports oriented fabric like bikes, skiing, skateboarding, soccer/football or animals like wolves, bears, deer, or camping fabrics, camo, or any favorite sport, like baseball, basketball, balls, food (pizza, hamburgers), etc. My dad likes John Deere, so I made him a John Deere lap quilt. It turned out great and he was thrilled!!!

I'm focusing now on working on more "boy quilts"...I've definitely left them out of my charity quilts... as I've made mostly girly stuff.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:21 AM

I just did a google on teen boys quilts and found this site. It is ready made bedding but some good ideas. One is camo which I never would have thought of but boys would like it. Here's the link:
http://www.justboysbedding.com/produ...n-boys-bedding
Old 07-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Teenage Boys seem to like black and white quilts.
Younger ones like whatever thier interests are, sports,cars etc.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:10 PM

My go to pattern is Warm Wishes (link on the Project Linus website) I can make it start to finish in a weekend for a large baby quilt.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 PM

Can anyone tell me the names of some charities ya'll make quilts for and how to contact them? Thank Ya'll.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:36 PM

Project Linus.org you can search there for local chapters near you.
Birthright.org provide support to pregnant women. Our local group supplies quilts to them which are given to the new moms
Old 07-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Great topic! I'm always looking for quick, easy patterns for donations.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM

I agree that rail fence is a good pattern for boys and men, as long as you avoid floral patterns and the colors pink and lavender. I can imagine a fun quilt using a camo print and some coordinating fabrics.

While it's a little bit more work, I encourage you to try the hexagonal One Block Wonder idea. Because the design becomes so cut-up and rearranged, all that matters is the colors of the fabric. (You never need disclose the pattern of the "original fabric.")

As for colors, I find that men are most comfortable with browns, greens, blues, grays, and black. Most other colors (tho not pink and lavender) are very acceptable as accents. White and beige are also very acceptable and can be used liberally - as long as they don't dominate.