Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
charity quilters-what is your favorite patterns for kids and soldiers? >

charity quilters-what is your favorite patterns for kids and soldiers?

charity quilters-what is your favorite patterns for kids and soldiers?

Old 07-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by ConfederateQuilter
Can anyone tell me the names of some charities ya'll make quilts for and how to contact them? Thank Ya'll.
I sew with a local group that donates to Quilts for Kids
http://www.quiltsforkids.org/ and Quilts of Valor http://www.qovf.org/ You can check the websites to see if there is a local group you can join. And we also have a lady who makes pet beds for her local animal shelter from our shreds and trimmings. So nothing goes to waste.

Local women's shelters can always use quilts and tote bags, local police can sometimes use stuffed animals and quilts to use for children. If you have a veterans hospital, Birthright, nursing homes-check and see if they have a need for quilts. It's very sad that there is such a need, so much pain and suffering, even in our own areas.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 AM

Pre-teen and teen boys like all sport...you'd be safest with baseball or football or a print with a mixture of sports for Americans. Camo, outdoor themes like hunting, fishing and wildlife. Since we don't know the boys I'd stick to camo, outdoor scenes and wildlife. They also like either bright colors or manly looking quilts with stripes, plaid etc.
Good luck with your donations!
Old 07-23-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
That is definately a problem we have also. The group we donate to is requesting larger quilts suitable for teenage boys.

I'm not even sure what types of quilts that age group likes.

Those of you with teenage boys-what do they like?
I made several for Quilts for Kids for teenage boys. I used baseball theme, skateboarder, hockey, motorcycles. I am trying to find time to make a monopoly one. There are finally quite a few prints for older boys now, flames and skulls, etc. I usually audition the fabrics for my grandsons to give me an opinion. Soccer right now is a popular one too.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
As long as we're on this subject what is good for preteen and teen boys? I'm having a hard time coming up something and right now that is what places want.
9-Patch Pizzazz is always a hit, and the 4-Patch Furrows is another, IMHO
Old 07-23-2011, 04:52 AM

Quick question.....What is 9 patch furrows? Sounds interesting. Glenda
Edited to ask....What is 9 patch pizazzzz?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:37 AM

Newbie here - I'm learning so much just lurking! Anyhow, just finished two Quilts for Kids for teen age boys. One was a Warm Wishes quilt using antique car pillow panels for the focus fabric. I find that the warm wishes pattern can be made up in one day for me. The other was a shadow box type quilt using a panel of BMX racers. I have a couple more cut out as kits - a warm wishes using sports theme fabric and the pattern from their site that alternates 4 patches using muscle car fabric and one with hot air balloons.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 AM

I don't think I have a "stand by" pattern. I like to make different ones. I Love trying out new patterns.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 AM

For teenage boys make jeans rag quilts. Ask for donations of worn out jeans. You would be surprised regarding the replies. Heard one guy drove from Phoenix AZ to Prescott AZ to deliver a bunch of old jeans.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:00 AM

Right now I am hooked on D4P and D9P but that three patch quilt looks real intriguing and I am going to try it....but my all time favorite is to just scrap a whole pile of flying geese units and then at some point piece them into the any number of patterns they will make.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 AM

squares with sashing, it is easy, u can use theme fabric and i can make more of them in a year......