Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Charm quilts

I'm collecting fabrics in red/white combos and haven't decided whether I'll do hexagons or triangles. I plan to do a true charm with no repeating patterns. I'm excited about it but hadn't considered charm packs because I'd like some larger pieces for binding or whatever else I may need. If anyone else has a similar project planned, let me know! I'd be happy to swap. :D

The quilt guild I belong to has special interest groups,such as applique, red work, charm, etc. I have belonged to our charm group for 3 years. Each month the participants exchange 6 different 6-inch square prints. I am making a quilt of triangles using Cindy Blackberg's Thousand Pyramid stamp. I am going to make a twin size quilt or it may just be a throw. At this point as far as I know all of the pieces are different. Several members have also cut small pieces for me from their stash. The guild had a garage sale this spring and we had several boxes of scraps that we sold ziplock bags to stuff and I got a lot then. If I ever make another one it will be a bigger piece size. :)

But it has been fun collecting the fabric and getting better acquainted with some of the members of our guild(we have 240 members).

Really love your Charm quilts. Both color combo's are beautiful!

Susan

THanks Susan, the colors are hard to pick up in the sun:))They really look better in the real person:))Skeat

I know exactly what you mean, Skeat! To bad the world isn't smaller so we could have one BIG quilt show and all could attend!

Susan

So it you buy a charm pack that says 30 - 5 inch squares. Does it mean that the seam allowence is in the 5" or is it really 5 1/2?

Usually the charm packs are exactly what they say in size...a 5" is a 5". There is nothing set in gold to what is the 'proper' size in a charm. A charm pack can be any size. Majority of what you find in quilt stores is 5" charm packs. There are some free charm patterns at: http://www.fatquartershop.com/ You will see the free pattern to which I made my 2 quilts w/a bit of difference. And, you will also find a 4" charm square table mat. Hope this helps:))Skeat

Thanks Skeat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2