Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chase the Ball from It's Raining Cats and Dogs Help >

Chase the Ball from It's Raining Cats and Dogs Help

Chase the Ball from It's Raining Cats and Dogs Help

Old 08-15-2018, 07:32 AM

Default Chase the Ball from It's Raining Cats and Dogs Help

I'm making a quilt from Janet Kime's book "It's Raining Cats and Dogs". I'm doing the one with the PP dachshunds (no surprise to anyone lol). https://indulgy.com/post/KC92Hat5o2/...rom-janet-kime

I've done the dogs before and used them on other projects but never made the quilt. The instructions tell you to foundation piece the dachshunds and then to place the foundation pieced dachshunds on another paper and PP again. The second round of PP just ads triangle to the sides so the foundation pieced dachshunds look like they are going up or down hill. No mention of taking the paper off the dachshunds before putting them on the next paper to PP the triangle on. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to just add triangles a bit bigger than necessary and trim to size rather than go thru all the hassle of PP'ing them on. What is your opinion?
Old 08-15-2018, 07:46 AM

Here's a .jpg from the book of the second foundation piecing showing the original foundation pieced dachshund's placement. The pieces that will be added on this foundation piecing are the ones labelled E1, E2, E3 and E4.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]599590[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails raining-cats-dogs.jpg  
Old 08-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

You absolutely could do that. another option would be you can make a template for the "e" units and cut your fabric using the template and piece them on that way. The only problem with that is the unit e4 on both of these look pretty tiny.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM

They are very small. I guess that's why the instructions said to PP them. I'm just not sure why they weren't added on to the original block. I think I'll just have to experiment a bit.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:38 AM

I'd cut them a bit bigger and sew them on and trim to size. I'd also trim and remove all the other papers first.

Does seem strange they would not have just done it as one block since those added pieces are not pieced themselves. However it does give you the flexibility if you wanted your dogs to be running level instead of up and down hill.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM

Well, hmmmm.....I think I would do the exact same thing-cut those pieces bigger, add and then trim. Added benefit--you can decide the angle that those puppies are running when you trim the block to size.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:53 PM

They may not have been on the original block because there wasn't room for them on a standard page. I like your idea of just adding the triangles, a bit oversized, and trimming them. No need to pp them. Go for it.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

Patrice, I'm not the one to give PPing advice but I love that pattern. You know I love doxies!!!
Can't wait to see your finish.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Well, hmmmm.....I think I would do the exact same thing-cut those pieces bigger, add and then trim. Added benefit--you can decide the angle that those puppies are running when you trim the block to size.
I was thinking along the same line: The "problem" of adding the triangles without PP and then trimming the block would be that it's probably hard to get all the angles of the puppies the same. But GingerK calls it "added benefit" - so yes, maybe that's what you'd like to individualise your quilt!
Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 PM

Can't wait to see your finished doggie quilt. Love the pattern you shared.