Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needle size for fpp using copy paper. >

Needle size for fpp using copy paper.

Needle size for fpp using copy paper.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:16 PM

Default Needle size for fpp using copy paper.

I have been teaching myself, with a bit of hand holding from the forums, to fpp and am fairly pleased with how I have managed my "practice blocks". I've signed up for a general class at a P&Q shop so I can have my work checked to make sure I am on the right track before I start cutting and sewing my "real" project. My printer will not accept any paper other than copy paper and I have noted that many people on the forums also use it so that's what I've been using. I've had no problems so far, have been using a 14 needle and a stitch length of 1.8 and have found it fine to machine sew through and the paper tears very easily. However the P&Q shop lady was a bit concerned when I told her, and advised that I should be using a finer paper and a smaller needle. Why? If this seems to be working for me why? And am I using the wrong size needle? I thought a 14 would cope better with the copy paper than a smaller needle but as I am intending to use batiks in my project, would the size 14 be too big to use on batiks? I can't afford to buy special paper, I can't afford to pay to use a printer from somewhere else to print out my foundations on the thinner paper, and I am hopeless at tracing by hand and if I have to do that I just won't do fpp.

So....is it ok to use copy paper like so many people seem to do? What size needle should I be using in my machine?

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 08-15-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:43 PM

That's exactly what I'm doing, too. I use normal printing paper and my regular printer. My opinion is: if it works, go for it!
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 AM

My printer won't take anything but regular paper either, so that's what I use.

I usually use an 80/12, but if all I had was a 90/14, I'd be using that.

If you are nearby a copy shop, you may find it cheaper to have them print your patterns if you are printing a whole bunch as printer cartridges cost so much and copy shops around here charge very little per copy for just regular b&w copies.

Have fun and let's see you practice blocks!

Watson
Old 08-16-2018, 02:22 AM

Thankyou Monale and Watson. I feel I can go to my lesson a little bit more confident now.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180812_151811-small-.jpg  
Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Ruby, you're doing great!!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:43 AM

It looks like you're doing a great job with your pp'ing. I had a really hard time figuring it out on my own. Taking a class at my LQS was the only way I finally 'got it'.

I use regular copy paper all the time with no issues. I couldn't even tell you what size needle I'm using but probably a 12 or 14. When I took the class, the instructor made zero mention of type of paper or needle size. I used primarily batiks for my project for that class - and selected the fabrics with the aid of the instructor, so if the batik/paper/needle size was to be an issue - she certainly never mentioned it.

Enjoy your class.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:47 AM

I use the cheapest copy paper I can use, shorten my stitch length, and usually use a #12 needle. You're doing a beautiful job.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 AM

It sounds like your instructor is a member of the quilt police academy. Her way is not the only way to go. If what you are using works for you, go with it.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:20 AM

cjsews, the lady at the shop didn't say I absolutely "shouldn't"....just that she was concerned that it wasn't the best or perhaps the usual way to do it. I guess she just wants me to have a successful experience. My being "new" at this I just want to do things right so I then began to worry that I was sabotaging myself.
Thanks everyone....appreciated. Feeling happy about my choices now.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 AM

I normally use a 12 or 14 needle and copy paper and I do a lot of FPP. The only thing I would say you might want to do is to shorten your stitch length slightly (I normally use 1.4-1.6 or 1.2 for very tiny pieces). This is so that it is easier to rip the paper off - but if you have had no problem ripping off the paper then it is fine.

Do what works for you!!