Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FPP help needed >

FPP help needed

FPP help needed

Old 10-03-2014, 12:41 AM

Default FPP help needed

Hi,

I'm doing my first ever FPP pattern (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5OF...JlYTlm/preview) and have run into a little difficulty, hoping someone can enlighten me!

In the main block pattern, the first 4 little squares are very confusing to me...I followed them round from 1-4, but when you get to the end, you can't join block 1 to block 4.

I ended up just folding the edge over and attaching number 5, which sort of pinned down the other side of it, so there is no stitching between block 1 and block 4...was this the right thing to do? When it's quilted, I imagine it will get sewed down, so can I do all the blocks this way? Or do I need to make a 4 patch before I start paper piecing? Is there some special trick that I'm supposed to know about?

I think I may have chosen quite a tricky one for my first attempt (but it still came out beautifully!)
Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 AM
Power Poster

Make your 4- patch, (piece #1-#2, then #3-#4, sew the 2 sets together) place that in the center section and continue to piece around the center in order.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:30 AM

Yes you need to pre assemble the middle, it looks like to me. (at least that is what I would do) either as a complete 4 patch, or in sets of 2 then you could treat the set of two as a unit.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Power Poster

Wanted to ask... What does FPP stand for? I've been paper piecing for years but have no idea what the F implies??? Sometimes when abbreviations are used people here do not look/respond because they do not know what it's about, or think they know nothing about the topic when they actually might if it was written out. I just thought I would start asking when it's some new abbreviations
Old 10-03-2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Wanted to ask... What does FPP stand for? I've been paper piecing for years but have no idea what the F implies??? Sometimes when abbreviations are used people here do not look/respond because they do not know what it's about, or think they know nothing about the topic when they actually might if it was written out. I just thought I would start asking when it's some new abbreviations
foundation paper piecing
Old 10-03-2014, 01:51 AM

Thank you! I'll have a go at piecing the middle before hand. I wish the pattern had had some explanation for it, I got so confused!
Old 10-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

looks like a great pattern!
Old 10-03-2014, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sisty88 View Post
Hi,

I ended up just folding the edge over and attaching number 5, which sort of pinned down the other side of it, so there is no stitching between block 1 and block 4...was this the right thing to do? When it's quilted, I imagine it will get sewed down, so can I do all the blocks this way? Or do I need to make a 4 patch before I start paper piecing? Is there some special trick that I'm supposed to
I would suggest that you slip stitch these little "gaps" by hand before you quilt. Otherwise you may end up with a mess the first time that the quilt is washed. If you have not made too many you may want to reconsider using these ones and start over with the four patch center stitched together before placing it on the PP foundation.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by yadroc View Post
I would suggest that you slip stitch these little "gaps" by hand before you quilt. Otherwise you may end up with a mess the first time that the quilt is washed. If you have not made too many you may want to reconsider using these ones and start over with the four patch center stitched together before placing it on the PP foundation.
That's a good idea! Luckily I've only made the one so far, so I'll either slip stitch it or abandon it.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:20 AM

I have made a similar block before...yes, you do make the 4-patch first, then continue with paper piecing as previously noted.