Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chatelaine anyone? >

Chatelaine anyone?

Chatelaine anyone?

Old 11-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Hunt through the pens in the house until you find a pen cap that fits snugly over the points? Or how about a small pony holder made for babies? Or a pretty elastic loop?
nope - no elastic or plastic allowed to be seen in a historic camp
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=miriam;6960768]nope - no elastic or plastic allowed to be seen in a historic camp[/QUOTE
Could you sew a little blade cover for them? or tie the handles together when your not using them?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I think I had a little piece of ribbon on them for a while. I need to do that again - maybe make a little tip cover out of leather and some ties to keep it on.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 PM

What exactly is a chatelaine? I'm not familiar with them.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Here is a pic of my chatelaine - mine more of a thing of a mabob holder with momentos than a functional chatelaine.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498180[/ATTACH]
You can see the top part of the chatelaine attaches to my apron when I do some historical camping. Then there are chains holding things that were gifted to me including a pin holder, a magnifying glass, a snuff holder, (it really used to hold snuff ) a whistle so I can call my son and some scissors. The snuff was a gift from the lady that used the snuff. I cleaned it out and put an old thimble in it. At one time it also had a key and a stitch ripper (not historical but someone bought it for me) If you do a google search for 'chatelaine' then look at images you can see all kinds of chatelaines. There are also chatelaines made to go around your neck. You will see them if you google search 'quilted chatelaine' then go to images.
Attached Thumbnails chatelaine-002.jpg  
Old 11-09-2014, 05:16 AM

Miriam...thanks for the pic .........will have to hit the goodwill store and see what I can find to start this chatelaine ....
Old 11-09-2014, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

That one in the picture is not from Goodwill - that is all hand made and very costly. I'm just saying you can cut corners if you have some talent.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
What exactly is a chatelaine? I'm not familiar with them.
In the old days - chatelaines were used by the lady of the castle when she hand embroidered her fancies. It held her tiny scissors, needle case, pins, thimbles, etc.., and she could pin it to her gown as shown in the photo by Miriam. (Ladies of wealth and leisure had their personal seamstresses to fashion their gowns) but some did enjoy fine sewing. I understand Queen Victoria did a lot of embroidery/stitchery.

Nowadays chatelaines are mostly made of fabric and hang around the neck like a scarf for ease. That's what I'm looking for - ideas on how to fashion one. Someone suggested using a man's tie as a base/pattern and adding the goodies to it. I'm taking Miriam's suggestion and will make another Google search.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=Sew Krazy Girl;6962853]In the old days

Thanks for the explanation - I just keep a small sewing box next to me when I'm hand sewing and don't think I would like something like that hanging on my neck. However I can understand that some would like the convenience of it and there is a certain charm about it to be sure.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 AM

Mine is actually a vest with all the necessities in their own little spots or pockets.