Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cheap machine recommendations! >

Cheap machine recommendations!

Cheap machine recommendations!

Old 07-15-2012, 03:27 PM

Love my Brother from Wal Mart 10 years ago - has 70 different stitches - I can do FMQ, but it has a small throat. I did wavey quilting on my first quilt - a queen size. Anyway, it was just under $400 on a Christmas special, but I have not had one day of trouble with it. I used Consumers Guide and then started looking. Good luck - there are some nice, inexpensive machines out there.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM

I agree with Dunster. What model Singer do you have? Does it have a vertical or horizontal bobbin?

I have a "newer" machine (about 2 or 3 years old now) and hardly ever use it...I'll take one of my old vintage machines first!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:47 PM

I've purchased several mechanical machines most for $30. or less. (sorry, one was $43.) They ALL work and do what they were intended for. No frills on most but they do have decorative stitches which I've found over the years I've never had much use for...(hope to change that soon)....one, a Singer, has letters for monogramming. I haven't tried it but that one was $35. Most of your sewing is probably straight stitching....since you are still in school, you could save $170-$370 and buy a garage sale find. If you choose that route, be sure they let you test it out. The ones I bought are 30+ years old...but still sew! Be sure also if you hit the garage sales that even if you don't see any machines out, ask if they have one for sale. I got one that was owned by a relative of the person have the garage sale.....they contacted them and the relative brought it over....I tried it out and it was fine. She just never did much sewing. A couple of machines that I bought were relatively clean for their age and they sew just fine. I've also gotten a couple of sergers....they too work! The very first machine I got at a garage sale was tagged $20.00...I got it for $18.00. It was a Brother that I think sold at Walmart for $79.00....v e r y basic.....it only has 10 stitches and has a buttonholer.....I got it because it was still in the box....and like I said....I really mostly only need it for straight stitching.....good luck with your search.....and.... if you have $400 squirrled away to purchased a new machine, again, consider the garage sale find and keep squirrling away your money for a really nice one one day. (bells and whistles are awesome!!)
Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 PM

I lovemy brother pc420 for both piecing and FMQ. It's $420ish on amazon and comes with lots of attachments. I also love my vintage straight stitch only machines. If you don't need fancy stitches then a singer 15-91 might be for you.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM

I have a Brother portable I got about a year ago, that does 80 stitches and came with the extension table and all the presser feet and accessories. It weighs all of about 10 lbs so it's easy to tote to classes. Got it on Amazon for about $180. It does really well for piecing and SID on smaller quilts. I also have a Singer 501A that does heavier stuff. You might check Craigslist or your local thrift shops for used (but working) machines. Good luck!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:17 PM

I got my brother SQ9050 at walmart for 200. I have loved mine very much. I haven't FMQ on it but there are some on here who have
Old 07-16-2012, 05:48 AM

There are frequently machines listed on a yahoo group called "Sew its For Sale." I have a computerized machine (an older Janome MC 4800) but have to admit that I prefer to sew on my vintage Singer 15-91. No frills, straight stitch only, no automatic anything - but I love it - and it FMQ's beautifully. It is electric. I got it and the table it is in for $150. Many get theirs for less than that. You just have to check out the machine first to be sure all works (eventually the electrical needs to be replaced on these machines).

I did see a posting for a computerized New Home machine. My first machine was a New Home machine (it is a more basic model than this one). Still works as good as the day I got it, nice stitches, and I also used it for FMQing. Thought I would post a link/details in case this is of interest to you:

Here's a link to the Sew its For Sale site: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SewItsForSale/

Here is the info on the machine:

[h=2] FS New Home 31 Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine HF-3000 [/h]
[h=4]Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:27 pm (PDT) . Posted by:[/h] [h=3] "dblackthistle" dblackthistle [/h]
non smoking
no pets
paypal/personal check

I have an 8 year old excellent condition New Home Model 3000 sewing machine that has barely been used. It is totally computerised and is
a very nice little machine with many features. I am attaching the advertising write with its list of features. It is a great little machine for basic sewing and quilting, as it also sews horizontally.
It has been stored as a back-up machine for myself, and, as mentioned
has barely been used. In anticipation of selling it I sent it our for
cleaning and service check last month. This would also be a great machine for a student or young sewer as it is exceptionally complete, easy to thread. It also has a built in needle threader for anyone with mature eyesight.
The features are as follows:
New Home 31 Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine HF-3000
Features:
15 Needle Positions
Easy conversion to free arm
Fail-safe needle insertion
See-through bobbin cover for checking thread supply
One-hand side thread cutter
Easy lay-in threading
Horizontal spool pin for snag-free performance
Extra-high presser foot lift accommodates thick seams and bulky fabrics
SFS Superior Feed System 7-piece feed dog insures precise control of all fabrics
Free Arm for sleeves, cuffs and hard-to-reach areas
Quilting guide for parallel rows of stitches
Drop-feed for free motion applications, darning, attaching buttons
7 mm 1/4" stitch width for attractive designs
Built-in storage compartment
Halogen lamp provides bright swing area
Steady, consistent electronic speed control
Convenient carrying handle
Hard Cover
Touch Panel for stitch selection
LCD message and display screen
Computer Memory Program and combine sequences of up to 50 stitch patterns
Perfect one-step Sensor
Powerful DC motor for extra power
Built-in Needle Threader
Jam-proof
Top loading bobbin system for easy insertion, removal and cleaning
Whisper-quiet
Needle Up/Down Needle Automatically Stops Up for easy fabric removal or Down for quick pivoting your choice
Fail-safe needle insertion
Auto-declutch bobbin winding
See-through bobbin cover for checking thread supply

I am asking $175.00 plus postage. Local pickup is available also depending on your location. I am on the upper coast of Maine.

picture is in July machines folder.

diana thompson
[email protected]
Old 07-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Don't overlook older Kenmores either. I have an older mechanical one (about year 2000) that was under $200 when I obught it new and just keeps trucking along. It is now used to teach little girls sewing and machine use.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 AM

I did, and would again, look for a used machine. You can get a "better" machine for your money!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ssgirly View Post
I also have a brother... mine is the xr9000. I bought it refurbished on Overstock and paid a grant total of $170, which included a 2 year replacement warranty and shipping. It is great for piecing and have FMQ two small baby quilts (the one on the left being one of them). It has started to get a little angry when I use a 100% cotton thread on it recently, but considering what I have spent on it it does pretty well. I did have a run in a few weeks ago (you can read about it on my blog) but it seemed to resolve itself. I agree that cheap is cheap, but sometimes cheap is the only option. This machine handles well enough and has 80 stitches plus basic block letter embroidering.
http://www.kenssewingcenter.com/brot...googleshopping

I am glad someone agrees with me about cheap being the only option. I'm so broke. I have dipped into my grocery money to buy fabric. If I had more time I would get a second job, but until school is done its not plausible. I don't mind spending $200 on something that will last me a year or two and I can upgrade when I have the means to.