Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheap quilting frame

I don't understand the batting and cover: how do you avoid quilting the quilt to the top of the table? Doesn't the top need to be "open"?

Jory

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jory
    I don't understand the batting and cover: how do you avoid quilting the quilt to the top of the table? Doesn't the top need to be "open"?

Jory
    You cut the top of the table away and discard it. It's no good as a table after that - just a quilt frame.

Very clever idea! You might also use PVC pipes, split down the side, to clip the quilt over the edges of your frame. Would love to see a picture of your invention.

For bigger size quilts, yes up to a king size, you can buy 1 x 2's (any length) from a lumber yard and c-clamps. You will also need thumb tack (big box). Lay out your layered quilt and thumb tack your quilt to the 1 x 2's stretching as you go. Use your c-clamps at the corners. On the thumb tacks you may have to use a hammer to secure. Now you can use chairs, tables or whatever you have to get the frame to the height you need to quilt. Also, you can roll the quilt to make it smaller on one side. Rolling is usually a 2 person job. This is the way my Grandmother did her hand quilting.

A few years back I made something like the card table frame.
    3x3 frame with folding legs like a card table. Then made 2 L's from 1x2 wood, (90 degree L bracket) on the inside corner of wood and a L bracket on the ends (bent to a 135 degree )and used bolt with wing nuts to hold open corners together. (Ends sticking out for bolt and wing nuts) The 2 L's formed another square that set around the outside edge of the table. The quilt top is placed on top of the table and inside the L's and wing nuts tightened down. It is really great for tie quilts.
    I used it to take to outdoor concerts and quilt while I listened. Small and very portable. At home, when set up, I seem to have a elevated 3x3 cat bed. Have a hard time quilting on it because the cats have to see everything you do and try to help quilt.

You are a genius!

I also made a PVC frame that was 2x3 on top and had one U shaped set of legs in the center of the 2 end pieces (removable for ease of storage). It could rock toward you as you set in a chair. Only problem was, PVC (C shaped) split pieces used as hold down quilt would rotate and not hold the quilt securely. Needed friction on PVC to stop rotation, top and bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by kdlingenfelter
    At home, when set up, I seem to have a elevated 3x3 cat bed. Have a hard time quilting on it because the cats have to see everything you do and try to help quilt.
    I just love what you said about the cats!! Great story, and so true!

Way to go! Thanks for sharing your talent.

Go to your local second hand store, they always carry lots of card tables. Rosie

If you can find one with the "pressed" tops, like heavy cardboard, the top comes off easier. Those were 40s, I think,....

Aren't we absolute genius'!

Blog Entries
    ahhh... very ingenius. Thanks for sharing. I may have to try this out.

That is such a great idea. good for you. recycle.

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    I made a quilting frame from an old card table with the top in bad shape. We removed the top, then I padded the top frame by wrapping with strips of batting, and sewing a fabric cover over that, so I can pin the quilt to it.
    I would not want to quilt a queen or king using this, but works great for twin or smaller!
    The handy part is it just folds up when not in use.
    I think this is genius!! I am going second-hand shopping for an old card table..... or on second thought, I have already been shopping for an old, wooden, smaller top desk to cut the top out of it so that I could insert a sewing machine into it for the family room..... but what a good idea to make something stable and pin a quilt to it. I think I could make it work to alter a desk, so that I have the drawers for stuff, and have a quilt pinned in the open space.....then move the quilt around as it gets quilted.....hmmmmmm.....you are giving me something to think about!!!! Great idea.

That's a great idea. I only do smaller things by hand, so it would be perfect for me.

Blog Entries
    Well, aren't you a smart cookie!! Way to go! I'm on the hunt now, too!

Blog Entries
    Necessity also breeds genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey
    Necessity also breeds genius.
    So true--and I learned from all my friends who grew up in the depression---use it up, make it do, or do without!

I used 1x2s (boards)and wrapped them with some old blankets, (or any type of sheeting for padding.) & stiched them in place Used C clamps to hold the 4 boards together. As someone else said you can place the boards on top of straight chairs. You can attach the backing, batting and quilt top w/pins to hold taut while working on quilting. When you need to work in a different area on quilt, do so by rolling one end in. Worked great for many yrs. You could always have 2 sets of boards, one for sm. quilts & another set for larger quilts. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Justmetoo
    I used 1x2s (boards)and wrapped them with some old blankets, (or any type of sheeting for padding.) & stiched them in place Used C clamps to hold the 4 boards together. As someone else said you can place the boards on top of straight chairs. You can attach the backing, batting and quilt top w/pins to hold taut while working on quilting. When you need to work in a different area on quilt, do so by rolling one end in. Worked great for many yrs. You could always have 2 sets of boards, one for sm. quilts & another set for larger quilts. ^_^
    That is what we use at church to tie quilts-----I made sleeves to pin to.

I did this many years ago. Works for any size quilt, just keep moving it around. Our big old cat, Romeo, thought it was a wonderful cat hammock and was rather miffed when I made him get down so I could quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Justmetoo
    I had heard of this in the past, but it wasn't described this way. I think this is totally do-able, and I can visualize wrapping the boards with something to pin to.....and c-clamps are not expensive at the hardware store..... this works, too. Good advice to all of us. Thank you.

You are welcome, I am enjoying this quilting board very much, friendly group w/ good ideas! We all need to help one another. As things get tough I hope more of the... AHEM "more mature" quilters will pass on ways that were used earlier in their lives while quilting. Some are very unique and inexpensive. ^_^ :thumbup:

Oklahoma people are smarter. Thanks for the idea, I have just the card table. Violet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast