Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Quilt? >

Chemo Quilt?

Chemo Quilt?

Old 06-27-2014, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Just advice, but avoid the pink ribbon fabric. I had a friend who was so sick of pink during her treatment that she packed it all away when she completed chemo. Just make it bright and colorful with interesting patterns.
I agree. I am a two-time breast cancer survivor and would not make a quilt using the pink ribbon fabric. Just my opinion. I received so may items with pink ribbons on them during my treatment and recovery, and I know they were all given with the best intentions so I appreciated them, but really got tired of the same thing over and over again.
I would suggest the warm wishes pattern. Easy and fast but looks good.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 AM

I made my cousin a twin size quilt when she was going thru Chemo, she said it kept her real warm an comfy!
Old 06-27-2014, 07:27 AM

Here is an idea with encouraging sayings about what cancer cannot do.
http://www.blockpartystudios.com/sho...asp?itemID=680
Old 06-27-2014, 07:58 AM

I've made several chemo blankets and they are very much appreciated. I usually use a good fleece backing for the men and minky for the gals. I have found that no batting is needed because the lap blanket w/o batting folds up easily and they carry it with them to the hospital for the chemo treatment. I've used jelly rolls quite often because there are so many patterns that can be made quickly. The Missouri Star Quilt Co website has lots of good easy patterns. Your efforts will be appreciated so much.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Whatever pattern you decide will be great. Bless you for doing this for her. Surely much appreciated!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
I agree. I am a two-time breast cancer survivor and would not make a quilt using the pink ribbon fabric. Just my opinion. I received so may items with pink ribbons on them during my treatment and recovery, and I know they were all given with the best intentions so I appreciated them, but really got tired of the same thing over and over again.
I would suggest the warm wishes pattern. Easy and fast but looks good.
ditto to from me - still on treatment. I have managed to avoid the pink ribbon and would not want a quilt with any of them - label included.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Two time breast cancer survivor here, too. I never liked pink and after going thru this whole ordeal, I wouldn't mind if I EVER saw pink ribbons or anything pink for that matter. JMHO.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:32 AM

I agree. My cousin who was only 33 when she went through this, wanted a bright cheerful quilt and no pink ribbons on anything. She had radiation, chemo, and a double mastectomy and the blue and yellow quilt I made her was with her all the way. Now it is her "picnic" quilt. I made a Take Five pattern and it went together really quickly.

Dina
Old 06-27-2014, 10:47 AM

A friend of my aunt's made a quilt like this for her. I don't recall how big it was, I think maybe throw size. That way it could be brought to the hospital for treatment too. Then she had friends and family members sign it or write messages of encouragement. As others have said, I'd go with things the recipient likes, or happy cheerful colors, staying away from the traditional pink and so forth. I'd also go with materials that will wash well. I wonder if maybe flannel/minky for the back and just traditional cotton on the front so if she is feeling warmer or colder she will have a choice about which fabric she wants against her skin.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

You are so sweet to do this. If you have any extra fabric, you may want to also make a bag so she can carry it to treatments if she wants. It's always nice to have a bag for storage!