Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Quilt? >

Chemo Quilt?

Chemo Quilt?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:13 AM

Default Chemo Quilt?

A family member is undergoing a mastectomy next week and at will be followed by 3 months of chemo. I want to make her a quilt to keep her warm for chemo. For those of you who have made chemo quilts, I'm wondering what size is best, should I use a flannel backing, and can anyone recommend a quick, easy and pretty pattern? I want to get this to her as soon as possible. Any other suggestions welcome. Many, many thanks for your help!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 AM

I'd use a disappearing nine patch, it is fast but looks interesting. Make it a throw size. Mine are typically 60 x72 or so. Big enough to cover up when she needs to get warm, but not too big.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

That is so sweet of you. I would look at the pattern Falling Charms from MSQC. So many companies have come out with cute fabrics with the pink ribbons representing the fight on breast cancer. Charm squares are used for this pattern.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 AM

I had a mastectomy in November and followed it with 3 months of chemo. I had made a pinwheel top and I asked a friend of mine to quilt it with no batting, just a fleece back. Fleece stretches and she had difficulty with it but did an amazing job. I pieced the quilt to use up some scrap fabrics - little did I know it would be my recovery quilt. But it's bright fun colors and cheered me up. The blocks are 10" and the border is 5". There are 4 blocks across and 6 down. Hope this helps. Oh, by the way, there is an easy way to make pinwheels. Missouri Star Quilting shows it as well as many others. You cut the fabric into squares and then stitch all the way around the four out side edges. Then you cut the square in a big X and you have the 4 components to make your first pinwheel. I even made a pillowcase with the border fabric for my daily afternoon naps.
Tell your friend that I said, "You can go this!" It's not easy but it's worth it to beat this monster.
Attached Thumbnails my-pinwheel-throw-001.jpg   alices-recovery-quilt-2013.jpg  
Old 06-27-2014, 04:39 AM
dd

The one I made was pretty large but she liked it large. I did a rail fence and everyone in the bible study group signed the center pieces. Then I made her a matching pillowcase to carry it back and forth to chemo. It matched her living room so it could be left out for display if she wasn't using it.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:00 AM

Just advice, but avoid the pink ribbon fabric. I had a friend who was so sick of pink during her treatment that she packed it all away when she completed chemo. Just make it bright and colorful with interesting patterns.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Mostly what I sew are comfort quilts for chemo patients. Pictured is one I designed to use up larger scraps. Size is 42 x 62, which is normally the size I use. Guild buys the batting and backing, which are both 48 inches wide. The 42 width is just close enough so I can do my QAYG method.
Attached Thumbnails shirleys-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-27-2014 at 06:23 AM. Reason: remove affiliated link
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM

Also, for chemo quilts make sure to wash your fabric before sewing. The chemicals in the fabric making process are not good for chemo patients.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:17 AM

During my treatments, I used a quilt that was a large square. Large enough to cover me on the recliner and hang over the sides. The ones that I have made since have been 60x65 or there about depending on the pattern. I have used the slk/bamboo batting and minky on the back. The best think I can tell you is BIG, LIGHT and WARM. I think that is why I have started using the silk/bamboo batting - so light but, by itself, it can be cool or warm as needed. The minky just makes it really soft and warm. HTH
Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Just advice, but avoid the pink ribbon fabric. I had a friend who was so sick of pink during her treatment that she packed it all away when she completed chemo. Just make it bright and colorful with interesting patterns.
i agree with this... but add your encouragement and maybe a ribbon on the label