Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Chemo Quilt? >

Chemo Quilt?

Chemo Quilt?

Old 06-28-2014, 08:23 PM

Default Prayer Quilts

I make prayer quilts and give them to people. I use the trip around the world pattern that I cut down from the large size and it makes a perfect size quilt...not too heavy, but just cozy enough for those cold rooms. I use 5 different fabrics which are tailored for that particular persons likes. For instance a man I knew came down with cancer. He liked hunting, fishing, worked for a tire plant, was a Christian and loved his family. So each fabric depicted one of these things. I add borders out of the same fabrics and they turn out so nice. I usually quilt by hand the borders and then we send the quilt to their church and each person comes up, says a prayer and ties a bow in the ribbon used to tie the quilt. The recipients are so proud to have their personalized quilt.

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS View Post
A family member is undergoing a mastectomy next week and at will be followed by 3 months of chemo. I want to make her a quilt to keep her warm for chemo. For those of you who have made chemo quilts, I'm wondering what size is best, should I use a flannel backing, and can anyone recommend a quick, easy and pretty pattern? I want to get this to her as soon as possible. Any other suggestions welcome. Many, many thanks for your help!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Yes, I back my chemo quilts w flannel. I'm sure that anything you make her will be greatly appreciated.
Take care ~ I wish her the best.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 AM

I did a simple nine patch and backed it with Minky. Only 42 square. When I go to the Cancer Center I get so tired of seeing pink that I avoid it at all costs. I know it is just in my head, but I associate pink with my cancer.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 AM

I'm a survivor too and I also nix the idea of pink ribbons or any BC designs and pink in general. Make her something that she can use in her home after treatment. Also, the chemo kills off all the good cells as well as the bad. So if she is hasn't gone through menopause the chemo will put her into it. Instant menopause is what I called it, the hot flashes hit with a vengeance. So maybe take that into consideration when making a "warm" quilt. My friend made me a quilt in my favorite colors and 12 years later I still have it in my chair in my sewing room.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:14 AM

A bag to carry it n is an awesome idea!!!!! Fortunately, I have not had to deal with this but had several MRI and CAT scans and just carrying my quilt was a pain. A bag would have been delightful!!!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:54 AM

I made a quilt for my sister when she was battling pancreatic cancer. It was backed by fleece. I made a zippered pocket to hold her cell phone, lotion, paperback, ID card, or whatever she wanted to keep with her. It also included a foot pocket. This kept her feet warm without allowing her to pull the quilt up beyond her feet. She apparently received quite a few queries from other chemo patients on where to get one. I don't recall precisely the size, but it was essentially, the width of the fleece by 6 feet. I needed the quilt quickly, so I used VERY large fabric pieces; the sewing is nothing to brag about, but it served its purpose. I chose all dotted fabric, since she told me she liked circles. I embroidered her name on the quilt, in case there was ever any question about who the quilt belonged to. Sadly, she passed away on Good Friday (April 19) this year, but she used the quilt every day, whether at home, in the hospital, or hospice.

I intended to include photos, but I can't get them to resize. I'll do some more research and try again later.

Marcia
Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 AM

OES184's story about the foot pocket on her sister's quilt reminds me of my sister's quilt. I had made a quillow for her teenage son to carry to the hunting camp. She mentioned that the pocket would be great from warming his feet on cold nights. Then she said that she'd "borrow" it for watching TV when he brought it back home. So, for her birthday I made a quillow of her own that had a "foot pocket." In those days I wasn't quilting but I was doing whole cloth and tying. So instead of tying, I used a decorative stitch to tack at close intervals.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:56 AM

I have made several comfort covers recently. I have used no-pill flannel. One was football themed for a guy using his favorite football team's logo. The second was for my SIL and the front was pics of puppies (she is a dog lover), flowers, etc. The back of her's was a very hot pink. Her's was 60"x72". Both of these were clipped around the edges and tied. MSQC has a tutorial on how to do this. Very quick and easy.

Both of these were used during their treatment times, at home afterward treatment, and was large enough that a grandchild could cuddle with them under the throw. They said they like the warm fuzzy feel of it being flannel and happy prints.

I do wish I had put ties on one end so it could have been rolled and tied as sleeping bags are sometimes and I wish I had made a small travel pillow and case to go with the throw.

Rest assured that your quilt will be appreciated and loved.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:04 AM

I hope and pray she doesn't have to go through chemo. I had a mastectomy and with very minimal aggressive cancer cells found by the pathologists, I did not need chemo. The Oncologist will determine this. It still is painful to go through it all, both physically AND MENTALLY. Be a attentive and caring friend. She will always remember your kindness. A nice cozy quilt is wonderful. I want to make holders for those drain bags, that go around your waist. Very difficult to shower when you have to hold on to drain tubes. And a nice pillow is great for under the arm. If she does have chemo and losses her hair, a nice cap is also comforting.

this
Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 AM

Thank you for all the great comments and suggestions. I love the idea of a foot pocket and if I can figure out how to do that, I will do it! I will also include a side zip in the bag so she can add a few goodies she might want to carry to hospital. She is having a double masectomy, radiation plus chemo. She has a long haul ahead of her.