Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chicken Quilt

Chicken Quilt

Hi all, I'm making this quilt for a friend of mine. Now that I've finished the top I'm pretty sure I should wait another 10 or 15 years before attempting triangles again. This was really challenging and I obviously haven't perfected my seams enough for triangles and/or so many small pieces, because I had a lot of issues with pieces being too small or too big because I hadn't got the quarter inch seam exactly right. So anyway I think it came out OK considering ...

Now I'm looking for some ideas on how to quilt the thing, so I've posted a picture. I still have tension issues when FMQing so I don't really want to do that with this quilt since it is a gift. I also really dislike burying a lot of threads so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how to quilt this with a walking foot, preferably using only a few lines? Maybe that's an unrealistic plan?

Anyway would love any suggestions or ideas. Thanks!

Becki
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    it looks great so far. how far apart does your batting say the quilting needs to be? if not too close, then just X's in the blocks?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Power Poster
    I would use my walking foot to quilt all the straight lines. I would then quilt straight lines inside the blocks like the tick tack toe pattern.

I agree with Tartan.Corner to corner.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

I agree with our friends that corner to corner would be easiest.......
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

Blog Entries
    Looks great! Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Great quilt. I agree with Tartan she had a great plan!!!!

I love your quilt.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

This is so cute! You should be proud of yourself!!
    Laura

Originally from Canada living in Pucallpa, Peru
    I was reading on this blog the other day about doing this stretched zig zag with a walking foot. I want to try it.
    http://www.crazymomquilts.blogspot.c...-quilting.html

Blog Entries
    how big are your blocks and if you use warm and natural you can quilt 10" APART if so you can quilt std along the sashings

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I would use my walking foot to quilt all the straight lines. I would then quilt straight lines inside the blocks like the tick tack toe pattern.
    Thanks! Can I just make sure I understand what you meant by that? Do you mean just horizontal/vertical lines down each third of the blocks, and then down the center of the sashing? Sorry! I'm still new enough at this that I need the dumbed-down version, haha. :-)

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    I love it!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

very nice first quilt...you did a great job!

You've done a fantastic job! I also recommend using a walking foot and quilting with straight line. A diagonal grid works great.
    Rilène

Off your topic but have you tried using the triangle papers???? They have been a lifesaver for me. Your quilt is delightful! Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagetouch View Post
    I was reading on this blog the other day about doing this stretched zig zag with a walking foot. I want to try it.
    http://www.crazymomquilts.blogspot.c...-quilting.html
    Love your chicken quilt. I am still a newbie to FMQ, but I like the stretched zig zag.

That looks pretty good! Nice warm colours.
    Quilt outside of the box!

Power Poster

Chicken quilt

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo View Post
    Hi all, I'm making this quilt for a friend of mine. Now that I've finished the top I'm pretty sure I should wait another 10 or 15 years before attempting triangles again. This was really challenging and I obviously haven't perfected my seams enough for triangles and/or so many small pieces, because I had a lot of issues with pieces being too small or too big because I hadn't got the quarter inch seam exactly right. So anyway I think it came out OK considering ...

Now I'm looking for some ideas on how to quilt the thing, so I've posted a picture. I still have tension issues when FMQing so I don't really want to do that with this quilt since it is a gift. I also really dislike burying a lot of threads so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas how to quilt this with a walking foot, preferably using only a few lines? Maybe that's an unrealistic plan?

Anyway would love any suggestions or ideas. Thanks!

Becki
    What a great quilt. My sister would have loved this quilt as she loved collecting chickens. Your quilt looks great. I'm not sure if I can explain this easily, but I would SID with your walking foot, start at the inside top of the top triangle, go straight down, then turn the quilt to quilt up the triangle, then turn again and go across, and reverse to go down t he side of that triangle,then up, etc. This means you have a continuous line of SID without having to start and stop, leaving many threads. If machine quilting when you start, hold the quilt in one place for a few stitches, or start with smaller stitches, then go to normal stitches, that way you won't have to bury threads, just pull the bobbin thread up at t he beginning, then cut off whenyou finish that area. Cross-hatching would also work, making "X's" across each block. Look forward to seeing your completed quilt.

Rather than trying to quilt by following your piecing lines, I agree a corner to corner grid would work perfectly. I have had good luck using 2" blue painters tape and then using my walking foot, quilting along both sides of the tape. I started with the longest area (like the top right corner and then down and left at a 45 degree angle). Once that was done I took off the tape and reusing it, positioned one edge along the previous sewing edge, and quilted that line and so on. Repeat in the opposite direction so you end up with a grid on point.Name:  J & C's baby quilt front.JPG
Views: 168
Size:  1.24 MBIf you use two lengths of tape it will go faster. Use the first one butted up against your previous line of stitching, then place the second line of tape butted against the first tape. If you remove the first "spacer" tape before you sew, you can sew along both sides of the second tape before repositioning again. Hope that makes sense. I don't know if you can see the quilting on the baby quilt, but it was done using this method. Very quick and accurate. Good luck. What ever you do, your quilt is amazing. Great job!

It is darling!!

Blog Entries
    This is sooo neat!

Blog Entries
    Wow! For someone who claims to have issues with triangles, you made a darling - shall I say delightful? - quilt! I love the chickens! If the batting says you can quilt 10 inches apart, go with Tartan's Xes.

Stitch in Ditch is way too much trouble and frustrating. Xes are fast and and easy. Marking them with tape is a great idea.

Just don't be chicken about it. (sorry--couldn't resist)
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

Power Poster
    looks good to me
    QUILTNMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast