Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Blog Entries

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

This is the third quilt I did not get what I asked for from the LA. The first one I asked for cotton batting, I got poly but the quilting was okay. The second one I asked for cotton batting, and green quilting thread to be used in top and bobbin. I got poly batting and white thread front and back, again the quilting was fine. The third time I sent the batting I wanted and spool of Aurifil thread 40wt of the color she could use or match the color. I got poly batting and cream color thread, quilting was fine. I asked her why she used the poly batting when I wanted cotton. She said poly was thinner and easier to work with and her classes said the customer always ask for things the LA can change. And she didn't like changing thread, it messed up the tension. Ugh!!@!!!! Now to find another LA in the area which is more like find out who bought a LA recently and put up business sign. Even the quilt shop that does LA, the quilting isn't that good, skipped stitches and too many knots on the back for what it cost. Frustrating!
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I'd go to someone who did what I asked for or I'd learn to do it myself
    Patski
    always learning

I just took my classes on a LA and they said nothing of the sort. You give the customer who is paying you, what they ask for. I do not own a LA but I can rent the one at the shop. I am not up for hiring out, but if I was, I would not use that excuse that "waaaa, it's too hard" I am really sorry that you have had this experience. I can tell you that quilting well is one thing that I'm sure is hard to find, but you may find you have to mail your items out of area to an established and well vetted long armer. it will be worth it. Remember you are the customer and you are paying for what you are paying for and expecting. I think whoever you have been working with has already had their chances.
    ..)) -::-
    ​.... .))
    ((. .. -::-
    -::- ((.*
    Fabric choice can make all the difference. Be fearless.

She should have told you up front that she wouldn't use cotton batting or change thread colors. You are a paying customer. It would be different if she's doing it for free for you as a friend.

But sometimes close enough is better then doing it yourself.

I can't believe you would end up with what you did not ask for. That doesn't sound like very good business sense to me. I hope you find someone who listens better. You might try looking at members of this board. There is probably even a list of them somewhere...I think I remember someone saying that. It would involve mailing your quilt, I think, but it might be a better answer for you.

Good luck on your next quilt, whatever you end up deciding.

Dina

I've never used a LA'er but for me once would be enough. I expect to get what I paid for, any changes should be discussed first.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Well you are more generous than I am I guess. I would not have gone back the third time. I might have gone back a second time, thinking I didn't explain myself well enough. But not ever again. There are some ladies on the board that do amazing quilting and will do what you request.
    Join the JUNE Pincushion & Needlecase swap:http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...t-t247379.html

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries A. A. Milne

I would have not gone back after the first time, three times? Run away now and don't go back!

It seems like all of these things should have been discussed with you before the actual quilting was done. Especially if you have specific request that she doesn't want to do. I can't understand why she would not talk to you about these things but just go ahead without your permission. LAQ is expensive and you should get what you ask for or know the reason why it is not feasible before hand. Frustrating but definitely time for a new LA quilter.
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

After one time I would have very firmly told her that these (batting/thread etc) were requirements, not suggestions.

Taking it to her the third time- well, that's on you. I don't really go with the Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me- because I think people deserve a second chance. However, a third chance (which she failed again) tells me this person is not serious about running a business!

That is not acceptable at all. If your customer wants cotton batting, you use it. I have a LA there really is not alot that you have to change to change the loft of the batting or thread for your tension. it's maybe a 5min process. Did she atleast return your batting to you and your thread? I'd be finding a new person for sure. It almost sounds like she is rushing your quilt to go onto the next. Most quilters go by word of mouth when picking a LA quilter and this would not make her get any additional business.

I did 2 for a friend at christmas and she sent the thread that she wanted me to use so I used it but there wasn't enough so I did as close as I could to the spool that she provided. I wouldn't think of using something that wasn't close to what she wanted or calling to confirm the change before I started.

You've already gone back twice more than I would have! LOL
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Once is enough! The LA'ers I know ask you to sign an agreement that list type of batting, thread, etc. everything is in black and white so both parties know what is going to happen . it also states if the LA has a problem and wants to change anything she must contact customer before making those changes.

Blog Entries
    I'm flabbergasted. If I tell my contractor that I want white grout in my tile and he uses blue, guess what. He's gone. If there was a good reason why he used blue, HE SHOULD HAVE DISCUSSED THIS WITH ME FIRST, back when I first told him I wanted white! I'm amazed that you told her specifically what you wanted and she totally disregarded your instructions, not once, not twice, but THREE times.

When I take quilts to LA, the quilter and I go over different options and fill out a form. I sign it, and she does too. If she doesn't do what you both agree to, she has to notify me first. No notification, no pay. I might have given her a second chance, but never a third. If you don't want to mail your quilt (and I wouldn't blame you), ask at local guild who they might use....satisfied customers are the best references. I don't know where you live, but if you give that info, somebody on here may be direct you to an excellent quilter.

After the first one, I would have explained that, while the quilting was good, it was NOT what I asked for and told her I would never use her for quilting one of my quilts again.

"The classes" told her that it was ok to DIRECTLY disobey her customers? She went to the wrong classes, or conveniently heard what she wanted to hear to justify what she does.

You change thread ONCE when you're long arming a quilt with the same color throughout. Sooner or later you have to change your thread anyway, so what's the big deal? If you're in business and getting paid for what you do, you really need to do what the customer wants not what's easier for you.

At the very least she should have told you what she planned up front and let you decide whether to leave the quilts with her or not. How hard is that?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramie bj View Post
    Once is enough! The LA'ers I know ask you to sign an agreement that list type of batting, thread, etc. everything is in black and white so both parties know what is going to happen . it also states if the LA has a problem and wants to change anything she must contact customer before making those changes.
    That is what my LA does.

It is a business. You are a customer. If she (LA) keeps doing as she pleases and not listening to her customers she will start loosing them . . . then she will no longer have a business.
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Banned
    No more she works for you........regardless of how good the quilting might be

Blog Entries
    I do know she extended her finances to buy the big LA set up and is having to pay for it with quilting business. The actual quilting is very good, of course the computer does it, but better then I could do. She just won't listen. I told her my guild members would know why I won't use her again. I asked for 50% refund and she gave it to me and she was very angry that I was so 'picky' and giving her a bad rap when I didn't know about LAing. LOL. I think her machine may be reprocessed and I might find a deal (not really).
    Got fabric?

Being a longarmer myself, I am shocked! I write up a sales ticket for each customer, there are 3 carbon copies, on it I write everything they request and that is what I do. What is the matter with this person. I would have a chat with her and tell her she either honors the customer's requests or you will find someone who will. I cannot BELIEVE this!
    Michelle Guadarrama

I quilt for others, and would never ignore a customers request without discussion. There is very, very little difference for the machine when using poly or cotton. Maybe change foot height if high loft and a MAYBE a tiny tweek of tension. I don't understand why you also didn't get the color thread you wanted. Sounds like she needs to find a different teacher and get a lot more CORRECT information IMHO.

There are a lot of us here on the board, there is even a list of us. I believe it is a sticky on the sale forum. Remember to get things in writing and ask for a prices sheet.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    One chance. You do not change what the customer asks for without a discussion. Period. If after that discussion, the customer still wants it her way, do it. Even if it is ugly. If the professional feels it can't be done the way the customer wants it done, the professional should refuse the commission.

Your quilt -- your way.

I think you will have to find a new LA. It is hard to believe that she would just do what she wants when the quilts are yours. Good luck!

Once would be enough for me to know I need to find somebody else, you put a lot of work into your quilt and it's yours to decide what you wanted unless you specifically said it was up to the la'er to choose.

I do LAing for other people and that's just wrong! I spent $100.00 trying to get the right lavender thread for a customer. I didn't charge extra....but that' s just me. A happy customer is a returning customer with a friend. Find someone that'll give you what you want.
    Do what you want...Love what you do!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast