Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 AM

I'm thinking of sending one of my quilt to a LA for the first time but am hesitant because of reports like this. Hopefully sending it to a LQS will be a little more reputable - especially since it is a local business in a small town.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM

Not getting what I asked for the first time would be enough for me. I'd ask around for another LA'er.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 AM

As a longarmer, you gave her 2 chances more than I would have!!!! NO excuse for her not doing as you asked or TALKING to you before doing what she did. Keep looking. There are some great quilters here on QB that do quilting for a business and would be happy to do your quilt! BTW -- I don't do customer's quilts anymore but when I did, a queen size quilt would fit in the "all you can cram in a box" postal boxes for $15.95!! So don't let postage slow you down from getting what YOU want!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM

Hi Well after the first time they made a mistake I would be very wary of them.After all the expertise you put into making the top I think you should expect them to do the same. Lets face it ,it is not cheap to have our tops quilted.I am of the old generation, I either hand quilt or do what I can on my own machine.I really cannot afford to have my tops machine quilted anyway. I have a friend who made a wonderful top and she lacked the courage to quilt it herself so had it done by a longarm quilter and it came back with puckers and knots at the back.I know there are many expert people who can do this, they show their work on this site,really fabulous work.Therefore be careful and remember' Once bitten, twice shy'.Go with ther experts.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
This is the third quilt I did not get what I asked for from the LA. The first one I asked for cotton batting, I got poly but the quilting was okay. The second one I asked for cotton batting, and green quilting thread to be used in top and bobbin. I got poly batting and white thread front and back, again the quilting was fine. The third time I sent the batting I wanted and spool of Aurifil thread 40wt of the color she could use or match the color. I got poly batting and cream color thread, quilting was fine. I asked her why she used the poly batting when I wanted cotton. She said poly was thinner and easier to work with and her classes said the customer always ask for things the LA can change. And she didn't like changing thread, it messed up the tension. Ugh!!@!!!! Now to find another LA in the area which is more like find out who bought a LA recently and put up business sign. Even the quilt shop that does LA, the quilting isn't that good, skipped stitches and too many knots on the back for what it cost. Frustrating!

You can send your quilt to Missouri Star Quilt Co. They quilt quilts and I'm sure they would follow your directions.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM

I don't think I would have tried a third time. After the second of not what you wanted, that would have been enough for me. But then I've never sent anything to a LA, I do all of my own quilting on my domestic, even if it isn't fancy stitching, it works for me and have had no complaints from the few I have sold to, or from friends and family. Good luck. Hope you find someone who will do what you want done.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 AM

Maybe LA quilter are like baseball players? My Dad always said give everyone 3 chances but if they fail the 3rd time - they are out!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
I'm thinking of sending one of my quilt to a LA for the first time but am hesitant because of reports like this. Hopefully sending it to a LQS will be a little more reputable - especially since it is a local business in a small town.
Look at it as an opportunity - when you are considering hiring a LA, take the time to question her about her policies. Tell her you've heard horror stories, such as quilters who switch thread colors because they ran out, and ask her how she would handle those situations. And get referrals! Check with your LQS and guild. If you can't find anyone who has used her services, then ask HER for referrals. When you talk to the people she's referred, ask them if they know of other quilters who have used her, and contact them also.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM

And adding one more thing to Peggi's suggestions...ask to see samples of her work.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:35 PM

ONCE, I think we put a lot of money in the fabric, batting, backing and a lot of time constructing, not worth it to get bad quilting or not what I asked for.