Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: CHICKENS!!!

I thought you might like to see a picture of one of my favorite roosters!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://www.quiltinghen.com/shows/winners-2005.html

check out these chicken quilts, hope this hasn't already
    been posted.

Texasquilts

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    I thought you might like to see a picture of one of my favorite roosters!!
    That is a good rooster! I like him in red. :lol:

Maple Grove, MN (by way of GA, NC, PA, NC, AL!)
    yummm....I've had that rooster before! I thought he only lived at my house! I prefer my rooster red, too :wink:

Love the pattern choice, and the rooster material. Good job,
    get-er- done :!: :!:

Quote Originally Posted by TEXASQUILTS
    http://www.quiltinghen.com/shows/winners-2005.html

check out these chicken quilts, hope this hasn't already
    been posted.

Texasquilts
    Some cute crowers and cluckers on that site. :D

http://www.quiltshops.com

This link was posted on another thread so I checked it out for chicken fabrics....just type chicken in the search box and you'll get pages of chicken fabrics.

I was cruising a site called www.fatcatpatterns.com and there are some awfully cute chicken patterns fo print up for free. They are all applique and she doesn't give instructions, but they are pretty simple to do. I can't participate this year cause we'll be packing up for the big move, but some of you might like these patterns.

vicki - those are fabulous!!! Thanks for posting the link!

you are welcomed! I am doing the nativity scene off the same web site. I'd have to live to be 1,000 to do all the quilts that I like. :)

http://www.summerscountryquilts.com/...tore/store.cgi I saw some chicken wire fabric on this website in case your in need of some. I won't be participateing in this "CHICKENS!!!" thing either. I am sure there will be lots of cute quilts, so don't forget to post them for us to see. I just trying to NOT buy any more fabric for awhile and use what I have. Also catch up on things started or kits etc. I have a long list, OH MY do I. :oops: :roll: :lol:

When I was collecting fabrics for my chicken quilts I made sure to find some fabrics that read "solid" to use for backgrounds. Chicken wire fabric in tan, light blue or black and white is great. I also found a shirting (I think it may have been by Judie Rothermel who does a lot of CW fabrics) that had little tiny chickens on it.

I also bought several panels that had chicken blocks on them. They are fun to fussy cut and use in the center of a star block, for example. Smaller ones also make great little filler blocks.

When you are making blocks, some of your chickens will face the left and others will face right. I try to also have some chickens that are facing the front-like they are looking at you. They are harder to find, but balance the quilt better.

Just some advice (my two cents worth).....you can all take it or leave it-it won't hurt my feelings!!

Here is a shirting background fabric
    Name:  Attachment-1237.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  58.1 KB

Three little chickens that I fussy cut and used to fill a space.
    Name:  Attachment-1279.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  44.4 KB

Here is an example where I used a chicken I cut from a panel in the center of my star block
    Name:  Attachment-1562.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  53.0 KB

I also ended up with a bunch of fabric that I did not use on the front of my quilt--it made a nice backing all pieced together.

The back of my chicken quilt
    Name:  Attachment-1681.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  72.4 KB

Hey girl... you're the chicken queen in these parts. Your advice is more than welcome.

BTW... Postman keeps driving by... SOOOOOn I hope!

Lori

When I was collecting fabrics for my chicken quilts I made sure to find some fabrics that read "solid" to use for backgrounds. Chicken wire fabric in tan, light blue or black and white is great. I also found a shirting (I think it may have been by Judie Rothermel who does a lot of CW fabrics) that had little tiny chickens on it.

I also bought several panels that had chicken blocks on them. They are fun to fussy cut and use in the center of a star block, for example. Smaller ones also make great little filler blocks.

When you are making blocks, some of your chickens will face the left and others will face right. I try to also have some chickens that are facing the front-like they are looking at you. They are harder to find, but balance the quilt better.

Just some advice (my two cents worth).....you can all take it or leave it-it won't hurt my feelings!!
    Thank you so much for all the "chicken" advice!! Very informative!

Thank you!
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Mamagus
    Hey girl... you're the chicken queen in these parts. Your advice is more than welcome.

BTW... Postman keeps driving by... SOOOOOn I hope!

Lori
    I hope soon too--I mailed over a week ago, but I know it takes a while internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by vicki reno
    you are welcomed! I am doing the nativity scene off the same web site. I'd have to live to be 1,000 to do all the quilts that I like. :)
    i feel your pain, or pleasure, however you want to look at it! Unfortunately, it's the fault of all those creative people out there who keep designing amazing patterns and fabrics! :D

Awesome advice - thanks so much for posting it Marcia! I love your pictures and I will have to find a shirting fabric with chickens on it, it would be fun to throw in with any quilt just for the whimsy of it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by DebJ
    http://www.summerscountryquilts.com/...tore/store.cgi I saw some chicken wire fabric on this website in case your in need of some. I won't be participateing in this "CHICKENS!!!" thing either. I am sure there will be lots of cute quilts, so don't forget to post them for us to see. I just trying to NOT buy any more fabric for awhile and use what I have. Also catch up on things started or kits etc. I have a long list, OH MY do I. :oops: :roll: :lol:
    thanks Deb! I've never seen this fabric before, but I guess i've never really looked at chicken fabric before either! :lol:

wow! i'm excited! just got back from a quilt store and they had this

http://sewmanyquiltbooks.com/item_in...ubcat=applique

you probably can't see the details, but one of the chickens is sitting on a toilet! i just had to have it! guess i'll be joining the challenge! can't wait!

i just put that pattern into my "chicken" folder in my favorites list!!! SO CUTE!!

I ordered the rooster patterns from Florine Johnson Designs and they are so cute and expensive for all 9, but I had a weak moment. Never done applique before, so it will probably be a 10 year project!!!

those are quite the roosters for a 1st time applique project!! How exciting, send pictures as you progress!

http://www.florinejohnsondesigns.com/patterns.html

saw these at equilters.com

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...13108203511.c6

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...59108193111.7d

http://www.equilter.com/cgi-bin/webc...50108213911.c6

Type in Chickens in the search box and you will get about 90 results - not all are specifically chickens/roosters, but most are!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast