Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A children's doll quilt swap???? >

A children's doll quilt swap????

A children's doll quilt swap????

Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM

Cutebuns, Thank you for giving ME the confidence to do this. LOL
She has always watched me sew and play with scraps and tell me how she wanted them sewn together to make whatever she wanted! I always knew I would teach her to sew just didn't know when but I guess there is no time like the present! Right?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Power Poster

Right, I was a stay at home mom from the time the youngest was 1, and so we would spend a lot of time at the machine. she sat on me and one day she asked if she could help. so I of course said yes. (all three of my kids love to play with scraps) and so off we went. and the oldest is running aorund making bags and dresses and such right now. she is doing a good job as well. It is now the time to do it, when they are interested and they don't have a fear of the machines like an adult may. my youngest has been playing with the serger for years, how many people on the board say that they are scared of them? off she goes, serging all sorts of things. My 15 year old uses the big embroidery machine much better than a friend of mine that has more then twice the time on it.

She will have no such issues, she will just know that she can do it.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by justwannaquilt
I think since my machine doesnt have a stitch regulator I will see about fashoning one out of a dowel stick to the foot pedal!
Mine hasn't either and THAT is an excellent idea! :D
You can use an eraser to stop the foot control from going all the way down. (Read that on a site on how to teach kids to sew)
Old 09-29-2009, 01:51 PM

I will ask my kids 9yrd son and 11yrd daughter. They like machine sewing. Hope I can post a good reply from them.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

So far I have two yes's, one from the youngest, 12 and then my son 13(as long as he gets to do two so he can keep one) and the oldest, Hammy, isn't home yet.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I now have a third yes that they would like to participate. And the oldest when asked if she minded getting a quilt from a 5 year old, thought that it would be cool. So you don't need to worry about her age and trying to match her up with anyone near her age or anything. All my kids love little kids and everything that they do.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Since you are all real quilters, I'm sure you have better ideas than this, but here is what we used to do.

My daughter took her little toy sewing machine and sewed all the scraps she like together to make a pretty "pattern". At 5 she was able to understand right sides together and such as that. When it was big enough to suit her, we'd cut a piece of flower sack towel to fit it. She would sew three sides and then turn it like a pillow. I'd turn the open end under for her, pin it and let her top stitch it closed and all around the other 3 sides.
She would then take embroidery thread (usually some wild outlandish color) and tie her blanket.

They were never perfect and not often pretty but she loved to make them and they kept all her dolls from Barbie to babies warm.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Gwyn, I kept meaning to respond to you! Thanks for your terrific suggestions. I know my daughter is in 5th grade and took a quilt class over the summer so she thinks she knows it all. She needs help sewing straight lines, and organization, so I will be there to guide her. She does not want me too involved (but won't let me leave the room!!). However, I think these ideas are great for the younger ones.
My youngest is also in 5th grade and she's the same exact way..now you know why Lorel' is my friend! :-)
I'm pretty sure she'll want to as she saw my quilt for the swap and she wanted it :-) :roll: :lol:
Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Banned

i don't have time to read the entire thread right now, off to doc's, but my niece samantha would love to do this.

she's 5, some of you might have seen her work, i always post her stuff on the forum.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

I think this is such a wonderful idea!!!:D:D:D
One thought came to me...you could start with a cheater panel square in the middle and sew the borders on separately or sandwich it in a QAYG manner...
I can't wait to see these little cuties... what a great way to keep those youngin's interested or to get them started in sewing 8) 8) 8)