Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Choosing thread color >

Choosing thread color

Choosing thread color

Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Default Choosing thread color

I just finished piecing my very first quilt top (and they say you can't teach and old dog new tricks) but I'm not sure how to choose the color of thread. The main part is a very pale aqua, it has other colors from brght greens, some purples, violets, light blues. Not my color choices, this is for my 12 year old granddaughter, she picked the colors.

Anyway, how do I know what color would be best to use? Would you suggest the light aqua? Or would it be best to use a neutral color?

I've been sewing for over 50 years and this is my first attemt at a quilt. Why I'm doing this at this age I'm not sure but I did it anyway, just stuck on what color thread to use.

I thought I better ask so this thing that took me two weeks to piece, doesn't end up getting shoved in a drawer some where.

Thanks!
Diana
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM

When I have a quilt with multiple colors in it, I try to find a variegated thread with those colors in it. If I can't, I'll use either a dark or a light neutral (depending on how the quilt affects you, ie, does it come on a dark or light?) Hope this helps and makes a little sense to you!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM

How about a medium light silvery grey - that would compliment all of your colors.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:45 PM

Can you post a picture of the quilt?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM

To choose a thread color audition colors by unrolling a fair amount of thread over the different color areas of the quilt all at the same time. Stand back and take a look over the quilt. Does the thread accomplish your goal? Have you thought about the look you are going for? Does the quilt need "perking" up? Maybe you want a shiny thread or something that really shows up. Do you want the piecing to shine? Go with a thinner non-shiny thread. First time quilting? Maybe if you aren't confident of your skill you should go with a thread color that blends blends well. Is there a color you want to emphasize. Go with the thread matching it.

Keep auditioning threads until you find what works for YOU!! Not what great aunt Matilda would have done. Have fun and welcome to the quilting world..."warning - warning- this is addicting"
Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Power Poster

Ditto to auditioning threads, but I think the grey/silver would probably be the winner.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM

variegated works well but costs tons more than regular thread... take to your thread supply and pull off a yard or two and lay across the quilt....after 4 or 5 choices, it will appear pretty obvious... the spool won't do it... you have to put a bit off the spool and lay across several colors in the top... you will be surprised at what looks good... i have a color from joann's called 'Sand' and it is a gold/pale, pale green/beige and it goes with about 70 percent of peoples quilts...it seems to pick up and reflect whatever's there... but try your threads at home first, you may have something that's just right...