Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Just wondering if I'm wasting my time. I started a quilt for my son (very simple disappearing 9-patch), and as I go on I'm hating it because the fabric I used (because of all the colors) was cheap. I'm thinking about bailing & just maybe using the blocks I already finished for a small couch throw, and starting a new one with better fabrics.

Anytbody else do this? Am I nuts for wasting my time? I have everything cut out, and probably finished about 3 rows.
    There is no monotony in real joy.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Maybe you could donate the quilt to a homeless shelter or something and make your son a new one.

No , you are not alone. I started a dissappearing nine patch and just did not like the way it was looking. So I unsewed all the strips I has sewn ... and made something else. There have also been a few projects that only me and the garbage man ever know existed. When your heart and mind aren't in it .... just stop.

I wasn't going to just trash it, and don't really have extra funds or time to finish & donate it. The backing & batting wouldn't be cheap for me. My reasoning is that I wanted to make something that lasted for him, and I'm afraid the Walmart material I bought just won't stand up to the test of time, especially for a boy.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

If you think it won't hold up, then I would start another one for him. I have actually tossed out a couple projects that just weren't coming out the way they should. Or they have become cat blankets!
    Heather

All the time. It goes with being a quilter.
    Diana

Blog Entries
    Well if it's for a boy that MIGHT be hard on it, I'd probably finish it and let him use it well. Then you might not stress when it's dragged outside on the lawn , or maybe to the ball game. Finish it and let him love it well, them made him a better one with nicer fabric when he might be less likely to harm it
    fatquarters

I think it depends on the age of the boy. What is ok at 4 years old might be babyish at 6 yrs. If he is young, make it for him and take your time and buy good fabric as you can for the next quilt. He will get his use out of it, and you can have time to buy the perfect supplies needed for the next one. If he is older, then maybe I would look for something else if I didn't like the first one.

He will actually be 9 in March. It's my birthday week this week, and I thought maybe I'd buy some fabric for his new quilt to add to what I already have in my stash. Hoping to spend the day quilting!
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

The quilts I've started and tossed aside for one reason or another I call my UFOs.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

How far have you gotten? Have you cut the nine-patches into smaller sections yet? Maybe it is just in the layout. Once it is cut into four it might look better.

I have several quilts I've started and never finished. Most of them were discarded because I tried to do things that were beyond my experience. I've kept them, thinking I would go back and finish them when I had the knowledge and experience. However, I find there is always a new pattern or tool I'd like to try and they are still in the UFO box, even 10-20 years later. I think they have found a permanent home!
    Check out my free online home decorating course at http://www.home-decorating-room-by-room.com/quilt-sewing-room.html

Blog Entries
    I have a BOM that I am not satisfied with, and paid a lot a money for it. I squares aren't as large as they are supposed to be, so I put it away and did something else. UGGG makes me mad, but I WILL get it done (someday).

Blog Entries
    i've done this more than once. however, after putting it away for a while, it didn't seem so bad anymore
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

There is absolutely no reason to finish every quilting project you start, and even less reason to feel guilty about it. You don't have to put it away for later, you don't have to donate it somewhere, you don't have to cut it up and make something else out of it. You are allowed to stop doing things that don't bring you pleasure or make you feel good about what you're doing. You don't have to justify that in any way to anyone. Move on with your life and make a quilt for your son that brings you both joy. You deserve nothing less.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
    Well if it's for a boy that MIGHT be hard on it, I'd probably finish it and let him use it well. Then you might not stress when it's dragged outside on the lawn , or maybe to the ball game. Finish it and let him love it well, them made him a better one with nicer fabric when he might be less likely to harm it
    I totally agree! I can't quit on a quilt, because I don't have the funds to allow me this option.
    Sadiemae

Blog Entries
    ....and that's why people have UFOs. Maybe you just need to put it away for a while and get back to it later.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Yes, I have abandoned projects. I used to feel guilty, but not anymore. I chalk it up to a lesson learned. Sometimes its a color study (like the orange quilt my son requested. HATED making it, LOVE the quilt done! Go figure!) Sometimes I use it as a leaders/enders project just to 'git 'er done' and move on! Once or twice I have even passed it on to someone who LOVED it. Guess those were not mine! I have enough to do that I dream about and cannot WAIT to work on . I know i"m not into it, if I am happy leaving it to go make supper! Pass it on if you are not WILD about it!
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Funny this topic comes up. Just this weekend I'm scrapping a scrappy. Had so many fabric going on that it completely obliterated the star pattern. Not enough uniformity in the background fabric. Figured I'm out about 12 hours of my time but nothing in materials. It's all in a zip lock bag and if I don't use it in a year's time, out it goes. First time in 30+ I've completely bailed on a project. Life is too short to hate what you're doing. I do that enough for 40 hours at my job!

If you hate it, stop working on it, and give the fabric to a thrift store, or throw it out. There's no sense continuing with it. Wait till you have some money saved up & buy top quality quilting fabrics from now on - don't use WalMart fabric for quilts - it isn't worth all your time, and the cost of batting, etc. You can get great deals for top quality stuff from stores online. And don't feel badly - you learned a bunch - so, move onto a new project, one that you delight in.

Unlike so many on this board I HATE doing the D9. I started one for a California King bed (ours) and after about a year, maybe two, I finally took it to a retreat with me and finished it in about 10 minutes. When I took it out to work on the lady across the table kept talking about how beautiful it was, how she loved the colors, etc. I said, "Do you really?" When she answered 'Yes', I shoved it and all the extra fabric across the table and said, "It's yours, I'm sick of working on it."
    Yeah, had that sucker finished in a matter of minutes.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

You know your boy. Will he like it because MOM made it for HIM????Maybe finish it for now and look at something later on ??? There are numerous patterns for t-shirts maybe wait till he's older and do that ???? We are always hardest on ourselves.

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler View Post
    Just wondering if I'm wasting my time. I started a quilt for my son (very simple disappearing 9-patch), and as I go on I'm hating it because the fabric I used (because of all the colors) was cheap. I'm thinking about bailing & just maybe using the blocks I already finished for a small couch throw, and starting a new one with better fabrics.

Anytbody else do this? Am I nuts for wasting my time? I have everything cut out, and probably finished about 3 rows.
    I have started many projects, knitting, quilting, crocheting and sewing... if i don't like them, i pkg up with needles (lord knows I have enough to share an occasional knitting needle)... project, scraps, pattern and put in a clear bag so people can see what the yarn AND pattern are.... someone else will love it and if they are shopping at a thrift store (as I have needed to many times in my life), then they just may need a project they couldn't afford otherwise.... if they tear apart and use any other way, fine, if they complete it.... fine.... it isn't sitting in my closet, taking up space and not being used...

I would finish it and give it to him, it might not last forever but I'm sure it won't fall apart. When I first began quilting I only had the local Joann's for fabrics and believe me some of the fabrics I used was kind of thin, the batting was cheap and really thin and the quilting was about 12" apart. Made the quilts for my young grandkids and they used them and abused them and after 10 years those quilts are still intact. As I learned more about quilting I began using better fabrics, batting and threads and made the grandkids bigger quilts but those first quilts they love and still use them.

Power Poster
    Maybe you should finish it and donate it. But then make something else for your son.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast