Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it? >

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM

Unlike so many on this board I HATE doing the D9. I started one for a California King bed (ours) and after about a year, maybe two, I finally took it to a retreat with me and finished it in about 10 minutes. When I took it out to work on the lady across the table kept talking about how beautiful it was, how she loved the colors, etc. I said, "Do you really?" When she answered 'Yes', I shoved it and all the extra fabric across the table and said, "It's yours, I'm sick of working on it."
Yeah, had that sucker finished in a matter of minutes.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM

You know your boy. Will he like it because MOM made it for HIM????Maybe finish it for now and look at something later on ??? There are numerous patterns for t-shirts maybe wait till he's older and do that ???? We are always hardest on ourselves.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler View Post
Just wondering if I'm wasting my time. I started a quilt for my son (very simple disappearing 9-patch), and as I go on I'm hating it because the fabric I used (because of all the colors) was cheap. I'm thinking about bailing & just maybe using the blocks I already finished for a small couch throw, and starting a new one with better fabrics.

Anytbody else do this? Am I nuts for wasting my time? I have everything cut out, and probably finished about 3 rows.
I have started many projects, knitting, quilting, crocheting and sewing... if i don't like them, i pkg up with needles (lord knows I have enough to share an occasional knitting needle)... project, scraps, pattern and put in a clear bag so people can see what the yarn AND pattern are.... someone else will love it and if they are shopping at a thrift store (as I have needed to many times in my life), then they just may need a project they couldn't afford otherwise.... if they tear apart and use any other way, fine, if they complete it.... fine.... it isn't sitting in my closet, taking up space and not being used...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM

I would finish it and give it to him, it might not last forever but I'm sure it won't fall apart. When I first began quilting I only had the local Joann's for fabrics and believe me some of the fabrics I used was kind of thin, the batting was cheap and really thin and the quilting was about 12" apart. Made the quilts for my young grandkids and they used them and abused them and after 10 years those quilts are still intact. As I learned more about quilting I began using better fabrics, batting and threads and made the grandkids bigger quilts but those first quilts they love and still use them.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

Maybe you should finish it and donate it. But then make something else for your son.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM

Funny thing is that I started a quilt for him with this same fabric (literally) about 3 or 4 years ago and changed the pattern from triangles to this one! I may cut WAY back on the size & make him his own couch quilt with a fluffy, comfy & cheap poky batting. I know he will use & love it. I did find enough fabric in my stash to make the other one, PLUS now he wants to paint his room blue instead of green!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

At least one year! When a quilt is just not working for me I stop where I'm at, add a back, turn it and give it to someone that needs a pet quilt. I don't feel guilty at all. I have even thrown a few unfinished in the trash because I was so frustrated.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
Unlike so many on this board I HATE doing the D9. I started one for a California King bed (ours) and after about a year, maybe two, I finally took it to a retreat with me and finished it in about 10 minutes. When I took it out to work on the lady across the table kept talking about how beautiful it was, how she loved the colors, etc. I said, "Do you really?" When she answered 'Yes', I shoved it and all the extra fabric across the table and said, "It's yours, I'm sick of working on it."
Yeah, had that sucker finished in a matter of minutes.
Your quite funny but you did a good thing for that lady and yourself.
The only UFOs I have are tops waiting for me to get them quilted and I have more of them then I wish I had. LOL
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM

I made my son a quilt from Walmart fabric 3 years ago I think, maybe 4... he was still in his toddler bed and is about to turn 6. Between the kids and the animals quilts get well loved in my house and it's holding up as well as any other quilt I've made for my kids (maybe better). But, I did buy some really cheap fabric from Walmart once because I wanted a cheap project to work on right then. The pattern I chose had triangles, and thin, stretchy material and triangles are not a good combo. The blocks are in a bag waiting for they day when I might have the patience to block them -- but more than likely I will get tired of moving them out of my way and just toss them.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

We should have a UFO exchange! Ha ha