Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it? >

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Old 01-23-2012, 04:03 PM

I have a kit that has been sitting on the shelf forever. Yesterday, I took it off the shelf, scrapped the pattern and am doing my own thing with the fabric. Some times that's just what happens.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:16 PM

I have three quilts I hated. I didn't even bother to fold them up, I just wadded them up in a plastic bag and tied it shut. That was several years ago. I came across them while looking for Christmas. Gifts I had hidden, OMG, where did
These come from. I hardly recognized them. They are now being finished because now I like the fabric colors
Which I did not before. Our taste's really do change over the years.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Yes been there done that. I too used cheap fabric in colors and patterns that I realized I did not like. I threw it out and have never regretted it! I know some would say finish it and give it away but I feel my time is worth more than that and I don't want to waste time working on something I dislike. So my advice, start over with fabric you like and know is good quality.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:48 PM

That is onc source of UFO's! LOL Its your project! Do what you want with it! Finish it, UFO it, through it out the window! Who cares, it's your do what you want. That being said there are a lot of good ideas being shared here, any one would work.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
there is absolutely no reason to finish every quilting project you start, and even less reason to feel guilty about it. You don't have to put it away for later, you don't have to donate it somewhere, you don't have to cut it up and make something else out of it. You are allowed to stop doing things that don't bring you pleasure or make you feel good about what you're doing. You don't have to justify that in any way to anyone. Move on with your life and make a quilt for your son that brings you both joy. You deserve nothing less.
amen sista!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:16 PM

I have 5 nephews. All like different sports and camping and are generally rough on anything cloth. Since they grow into and out of colors ,patterns and themes so often It doesn't really matter if it's made from top line fabric or Wal-mart. They love it to pieces anyway!! I am too cheap to throw out something I hate. I have traded with other quilters and some UFO's are stuffed out of sight until I decide what to do. Rip it all apart and start over or keep going just to finish it.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:46 PM

Oh that is a tuff one! I guess I would finish what I started, quilt it then wash it up. It will soften once the sizing washes out, will be just fine for a young boy who will love it regardless. I guess I just dislike not finishing what I started, and many times I find I like it better after it is all done and washed up. Lesson learned and move on hugs
Old 01-24-2012, 03:39 AM

I have one now that the binding is 1/2 done. I hate it and sew have not finished it or started any more.
I like the previous idea to finish the project and donate it somewhere other than the intended one.
Thanks for this suggestion.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 AM

Funny, I actually convert a qulr I had started in a wall hanging and chair covering couple of days ago :-) So you are not alone ;-) I just had a better idea to replace the project I was working on.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 AM

For a 9 year old boy, I would finish it and give it to him to use howevery he pleases. He won't understand the quality of the material, etc., and you will enjoy seeing him dragging it around or putting it in his dogs bed, or whatever 9 year olds do. Now, when he gets to an important time in his life, college graduation, marriage, first child, then pull out that good fabric and make him another quilt. I have to tell you that the ones I have made for my children and grandchildren are now mostly in their closets, except for my oldest son. He uses his in his boat for him and his wife to cover up when needed. I must add this, however, if it is making you very unhappy to continue with this project, put it aside and do what your heart tells you.