Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it? >

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Old 01-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Banned

perhaps you could just donate the top to a church group that makes charity quilts and let them finish it.
and yes, I think we have all abandoned a quilt for one reason or another!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I would finish up what I have cut and use it to practice my machine quilting on. The machine quilting will probably stabilize the fabric enough that it would make a nice couch blanket and then you can move on to something else.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Maybe it might work as a quilt back. If you decide to toss then maybe donate it to your local quilt guild and a member might finish it for a community service project.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM

I like your idea of making a couch throw, that way you can still get some use from it and feel good about going on to something else. You aren't nuts....we've all done things like this and we can just chalk it up to learning. Good luck!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 AM

happy birthday! hope you have a great week and a wonderful year!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 AM

I've done that many times. Make your son something that you enjoy working on and your heart is in. Just put the other one away in a bag or box and if you have a yard sale get rid of it to someone who may like it.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler View Post
I wasn't going to just trash it, and don't really have extra funds or time to finish & donate it. The backing & batting wouldn't be cheap for me. My reasoning is that I wanted to make something that lasted for him, and I'm afraid the Walmart material I bought just won't stand up to the test of time, especially for a boy.
Cheap thin ~ boardy- fabric in my humble opinion wouldn't be worth my time and for me I would not continue and invest any more money in batting or backing just to see the fabric fade, shred, and not hold up to possible frequent washings.

If you are not liking it because of the colors...well I've found I rarely like my quilts on the design wall but once quilted they take on a new life.

So I guess it's a judgement call...maybe you could put it away for awhile and work on something else then look at it with a renewed perspective...if then, it still feels like cheap fabric do whatever you feel comfortable with .... donate the fabric and blocks .... I just don't see that if you take apart the blocks you've already sewn, that you will feel any differently about the fabric in another project, if it's truly cheap fabric.

Last edited by onaemtnest; 01-24-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM

I've done that, too. I used the blocks to practice FMQ and moved on to something else.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
The quilts I've started and tossed aside for one reason or another I call my UFOs.
I call mine LIW's. Ladies in waiting
Old 01-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Zoe

Smile

This happens to me too, but I keep this UFO's to give away to friends. If someone says they like it, then they get to take the half-finished project home. I am too old to continue with a project that is giving out negative vibes. Sometimes I have been lucky enough to sell some of these projects on EBay, being absolutely honest about where I stopped in the process. Good luck and try another project for your son.