Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it? >

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Old 01-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Everyone has those, but sometimes you can donate or give away unfinished items and let someone else adopt and finish them.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM

This is so interesting as it is exactly what I have been experiencing, let me tell you how I have solved this. I made some additional 9 patch blocks for the disappearing 9 patch, and added those to the mix, with some co ordinating fabrics, then did some blocks with the two combined, by the time I was finished with these I had all the blocks I needed for a king size quilt. THEN I still felt it needed something else to pull it together, now I have added sashing in a totally different fabric, on all the vertical rows I will include eyelet with ribbon laced through, and on the horizontal sashes I will use a machine embroidery pattern (yet to be selected and what I am trying to decide now). I am now loving this quilt. My advice is to think about how you might change this to make it something yhou respond to.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:54 PM

I agree-I've had a lot of family issues recently and find that i'm not in the mood and stressing about patchwork, so I've started knitting instead.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM

I have never made a D9P and had to look it up to see what it is! I plan to make one soon. Please don't trash what you have. Make a couch throw as you suggested. Then make another one you would enjoy more. Just a couple of comments to fatquarters. My sister's quilt was used by her son to lay on the ground under his truck when he was changing the oil!! And when do you think she would be able to "make him a better one with nicer fabric when he might be less likely to harm it?" Probably not in her lifetime!

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
Well if it's for a boy that MIGHT be hard on it, I'd probably finish it and let him use it well. Then you might not stress when it's dragged outside on the lawn , or maybe to the ball game. Finish it and let him love it well, them made him a better one with nicer fabric when he might be less likely to harm it
Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 PM

You might not like it now, but maybe after it is finished it will come alive. I would finish it, but maybe get something you are more excited about to work on, to break it up. And honestly if it is for a young boy, why not let him wear it out. Even quilts made with not so good a fabric will wear a while.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:42 AM

Finish piecing the top and donate it to someone locally who makes charity quilts. They'll probably finish it up and donate it to someone who is cold or homeless. They will love having the warmth.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 AM

Happy Birthday. And many more.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:32 AM

I made a disappearing nine patch in neutral/creams that I didn't like at all, so I used it as a back for another quilt. Of course, if you think the fabric won't hold up, you might just put a piece of fleece or flannel on the back and use it for a beach blanket.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:43 AM

You might consider finishing it into smaller sizes for projects for nursing homes. lap quilts tote bags wheelchair bags. Even a toys for tots program making doll quilts. Then you would'nt waste fabric and can use cheaper fabrics.
dawn227 in NY
Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by fatquarters View Post
Well if it's for a boy that MIGHT be hard on it, I'd probably finish it and let him use it well. Then you might not stress when it's dragged outside on the lawn , or maybe to the ball game. Finish it and let him love it well, them made him a better one with nicer fabric when he might be less likely to harm it
I totally agree.