Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas 2013

Red face Christmas 2013

Hello,
    I was wondering if any of you have started to make Christmas gifts, and if so, what are you making?
    I need ideas
    Thanks Much and Happy Quilting

Not yet. I'm working on quilts for the quilt show next June.

The "thought" is there...just havn't done anything except buy fabric yet. I always make pillowcases for our 5 grand kids....they love them. I have a lap quilt that I want to make for hubby. Mug rugs, pincushions, pot holders, these are all on my "to do" list. I will be watching this thread for more ideas. Thanks for starting this, as quickly as this year is flying by, I think I'd better get started!

Blog Entries
    LOL are you kidding - I am still trying to finish quilts from 2 years ago ... seriously though I try to make one quilt every year for some family member - haven't started it yet though I work better under pressure ....
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    I have ideas forming but haven't started yet.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

so far three lap quilts , four table runners, 2 mug rugs and four ornaments. Other than that nothing else is finished this year. I have one more lap quilt to do, at least 2 more runners, and 4 more mug rugs and a dozen ornaments (everyone gets a handmade ornament) and if I can wing it two aprons. That is what I am making/have made. I would love to fit in a tree skirt my daughter wants an elegant red/cream-gold one. but fitting in moving in this whole thing also. I can't afford to buy gifts so its terrribly important to me to get these done this year. I hate not having gifts if I can help it.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    Have table runners, lap quilts, pot holders, mug rugs, wall hangings in process. All need finishing.......Not my strong point!! LOL

My plan is to make new flannel quilts for my family, six in all, as a surprise. Thus far, I have a lot of pattern ideas and the fabric to make them the modern quilt style. Hope to be able to pull that off in time for Christmas, cross my fingers !

This is my plan for the summer. The only problem is that school doesn't end until Jun 27th

I'm making these as Stocking Fillers
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

My Christmas comes early for some of my family members at are family reunion in August and my family memorial get together for my dad in September (this one is just for use kids, mom, my dads sister, and the grandkids). So I made some placemats, potholders, coasters for the women in the family. I have not made anything for the men and children yet because I just do not know what to make them. But I have a brother who is a truck driver which I am planning on making a quilt for him to use in his sleeper in his truck. I am working on getting pictures of all the trucks that he drove from the trucking firm that he drives for to but in the quilt. I have some fabric that has road, street, highways, street signs on it that I am going to use as background fabric for the quilt.

Mary/stitchengramie
    Last edited by stitchengramie; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 AM.
    "Our deeds determine us as much as we determine our deeds" George Eliot

Christmas Gifts for 2013

My Christmas comes early for some of my family members at are family reunion in August and my family memorial get together for my dad in September (this one is just for use kids, mom, my dads sister, and the grandkids). So I made some placemats, potholders, coasters for the women in the family. I have not made anything for the men and the children yet because I just do not know what to make them. But I have a brother who is a truck driver which I am planning on making a quilt for him to use in his sleeper in his truck. I am working on getting pictures of all the trucks that he drove from the trucking firm that he drives for to but in the quilt. I have some fabric that has road, street, highways, street signs on it that I am going to use as background fabric for the quilt.

Mary/stitchengramie
    Last edited by stitchengramie; 06-08-2013 at 03:07 AM.

I'm doing a BOM in Christmas fabrics that will be for a Christmas present. It's sampler blocks and instead of BOM, it's a new one each week.
    There's some new cardinal fabric coming out in July which I plan on making a lap quilt with. There's also a new fusion fabric coming in July which I'm going to make wall hanging.
    I want to make one of those sweatshirt quilt jackets.

I have made a lot of what is already mentioned but last year I made the teenagers those Snappy bags and they loved them. So may make some for the adults this year.

I found the two tops for my twin GD aged 8. Will add sashing and get the backs done. Then on to the LAQ.Now am making 2 single quilts for the Moore, OK survivors. June 25th is Half Way to Christmas !!!1 Get buzy girls. Hugs

I'm working on two queen quilts, one double quilt, two lap quilts, table runners, mug rugs, place mats and two handbags. If everything works out as planned they will all be finished by Christmas Eve.

I made my oldest daughter a queen size quilt, my middle daughter a full size quilt, my son in law a full size quilt, my youngest granddaughter a queen size quilt with pillow shams, and right now Im working on a wedding quilt for my granddaughter who is getting married in Nov. Now none of these is quilted yet, but the tops are made

Blog Entries
    I have made midi bags (smaller version of the mondo bag that is made with preprinted interfacing) and snap bags (close with measuring tape), embroidered on kitchen towels, small stockings for small gifts. Have fabric for placemats, more bags, and hotpads.

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
    I have made a lot of what is already mentioned but last year I made the teenagers those Snappy bags and they loved them. So may make some for the adults this year.
    mic-pa,

What is a Snappy bag?

Quote Originally Posted by stitchengramie View Post
    mic-pa,

What is a Snappy bag?
    They are small fabric bags that use metal measure tape parts to keep them closed. There is a pattern available called the Snap Happy Bag or you can use the tutorial on this blog:

http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html

I made 17 quilts for Christmas last year, so I don't want to do that again this year. (All of THIS year's quilts are for ME!) For gifts this year I'm going a simpler route and making shopping bags - several of my family members live in areas that have banned plastic bags and are now starting to impose fees for using paper bags, so I think they'll be appreciated. I'm thinking I probably have the budget/patience to make about 3-4 bags per person/couple (I don't want to think about how many bags this really is quite yet...I will be an expert by the time I'm done, though!). Oh, I do plan on making a pair of quilted wall hangings for my aunts but haven't decided on subject matter yet.

Am planning to make pot holders, coasters, hot pads for table, placemats, rice bags, a tote bag or two, and a scrappy quilt to donate. May help do small stockings and ornaments for local kids program.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    Wow a lot of very busy/ambitious quilters here.

Me, my time is very limited (I work 6 days a week). I plan to make https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCy1uNKAv2k Charm Pack Skirts for my two nieces. And table runners or place mats for other family members. I picked up a magazine last year with fun place mats for kids. I may personalize them for my kids and each of the nieces and nephew, plus a couple extra for my kids friends.

I need to start on a 80th birthday quilt for my Mum. I need to have it completed by next April. I am tossing around ideas.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

I have two special quilts to make for Christmas - one for my sister and one for my son. I am trying a new apron pattern this weekend, so some may get aprons for Christmas.

I am planning on making a bunch of pillowcases to use up some of my excess fabric but also what I have and have avoided are cross stitch hand towels. I'm starting out with his and hers and just names for singles. Using some varigated colors and will be shading them light to dark. I haven't figured out how to cover the stitches on the back but maybe just a plain applique piece the size of the lettering. Last year I did some scrap hearts and have that stuff ready to pick up....if I get that far.
    http://lyndaswhoknew.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast