Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas Presents >

Christmas Presents

Christmas Presents

Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Ellsie
I am making cookie jars for my family. Hope the picture goes through , so you can see them. There are four embroidered cookies. I am going to put two of each in the jars. With a pretty bow and sprig of holly around the lid, I think they will be real cute.
i started them last Spring and have 56 cookies made. I am now looking for the right jars to put them in.
What a great idea! I like that!

TreeFrog
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
I got a late start this year, so no time to sew. Making the Quilted Star ornaments.
Yours is just fabulous! I love your fabrics! I've got a pattern or tute for these somewhere....you've inspired me, but I may be running out of time for this!
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
My best and favorite gift last year was from my SIL she gave me a recipe box with lots of recipes from her side of the family . So i got to thinking my family has recpies too. So I called all of them and asked for the favorite recipes. it took several months but i got them all together and printed and gave every one a copy of all the recipes. they loved it.
I did this for my hubby's side of the family at a family reunion that I had. They had to send them in early and I had them typed up and took them to Staples..and then just put them in on of the file folders......they loved them

Another good thing about this is that everyone gave the very "bestest" recipe so we all got the "cream of the crop"..

Maryjane
Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Perhaps I have the wrong idea, but I've completely cut back on Christmas gifts as I think the gift giving has gotten completly out of hand and many people just don't need any more "stuff". Now my gifts fall into two classes. Close family only get small practical items (mitts, socks, underwear) and extended family, neighbours etc. get a Christmas card saying a gift of $ has been sent to the Salvation Army in their name or they get a card and a small tray of homemade squares and cookies ready to serve. We have a wonderful large family dinner, play lots of board games and nobody has been bent out of shape by the lack of gifts. In my opinion, Christmas should be about being together and I don't want to spend all Advent season making and buying gifts which most people don't need. It's not that they're not nice or that I can't afford to do it but it just isn't a priority fo me any more. I know many will completely disagree with me but this is where I am. During the year I may make little gifts and often give something at Easter or Valentine's Day but I'm just not into the Christmas shopping/gift making frenzy anymore.
You've got the right idea!I've completed a quilt for my youngest son and I'll top quilt that for him in November. I do have 'requests' from a couple of friends for a quilted tote or purse, so there's 4 of those to make. I'd love to finish a quilt for a friend for Christmas- but the reason for the season is Jesus Christ.... being mindful of his mission; giving to the poor, etc... speding time with loved ones and loving others you never thought possible- that's Christmas.
Blessings,
MaryAnna
Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 AM

[/quote]

You've got the right idea!I've completed a quilt for my youngest son and I'll top quilt that for him in November. I do have 'requests' from a couple of friends for a quilted tote or purse, so there's 4 of those to make. I'd love to finish a quilt for a friend for Christmas- but the reason for the season is Jesus Christ.... being mindful of his mission; giving to the poor, etc... speding time with loved ones and loving others you never thought possible- that's Christmas.
Blessings,
MaryAnna[/quote]

I agree, so that I why I have chosen to make my presents this year. Should the recipiants not like what I have made for them, then they can kiss my butt! LOL

TreeFrog
Old 10-25-2010, 10:18 AM

I am taking the position of keeping it simple this yr. I sewed my fingers to the bones the last couple of christmas's and received very few thank-yous-those people will be lucky to receive a card-as alot of thought went into my gift giving and I am just appalled at the rudeness of people that can't even take the time to say thank-you. I even had to call to make sure the gifts arrived...rude! Sorry if i sound like a scrooge, just a tad fed up can you tell...lol
for those that are getting gifts I am thinking placemats & maybe a few table runners. I have a GD living w/ me and another GD & DD close by that do appreciate me so they will probably make out the most. I already have some wall hangings, quilts and pot holders made & stashed away.
and of course the regular holiday baking that I share with all my friends & neighbors.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:33 AM

Thank you I will go thre now
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 AM

Two of the best gifts I ever gave was for my bro in law & the same for my bro.These were both guys who needed/wanted nothing,so very hard to buy for them

I bought 2 smaller photo albums & added more pic sleeves to them, so they'd hold a good many photos.Spent days going thru older photos, starting with Grparents(bro) & Gr Grparents (bro in law).From there I moved thru the yrs finding pics of the older folks as youngsters,maybe with a car,their bride,the babies....& on to their family growing up, including the one who it was meant for, ending with their school days,service overseas,marriage & children/Grchildren.For my bro, the final pic was one of the 2 of us showing our arms around each other & bro planting a kiss on my cheek,at ages 4&5.

Some of the pics,no one else had, so made copies for the albums.Each was wrapped in fabric.....football for bro in law & computers for Bro.

Bro in law said thanks, but hardly glanced at his.A day later, he called & said it was the best gift he'd ever received.So that was a hit.

My bro had no idea what was in that small pkg & he took a look, then another look & said.....I'll have to go thru it later.He looked up with tears in his eyes.Another hit & it was kept on the table by his chair.

We never know what tomorrow will bring.Bro in law passed away 3 yrs later & bro died of cancer 18 mos ago.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 AM

Justmetoo! Big hugs, what wonderful memories of your bros and their gifts.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM

I've made about 25 crocheted coat hanger covers -- My mom was in the hospital, and to take up time, I just crocheted! I could make one an hour, without interruptions.

http://www.craftygardener.ca/craftysprojects17.html

I've also made quilted coasters and table runners and Christmas-themed place mats. -- All the ideas on this site are making me wish it was June instead of October so I would have more time to do new projects!