Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas projects

Christmas projects

The Christmas projects are showing up-near completion. Guess I better get started. One I saw was fairely easy tree-so Cute. I can just see it in a forest of sizes hanging on the wall. No dead needles! No moving furniture to make room. Easy to pack and light weight. Even I can decorate without waiting for someone to help!

What Christmas projects do you have planned/started/made?
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-20-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    oh--this makes me feel like such a failure! I usually try to make presents for family members and I've done zilch so far this year. I haven't even done any shopping! And I usually have most of my shopping done by Oct 1--not going to happen either! Hope I do better than last year when I was finished with my homemade gifting in March!

I am working on a Classic Santa applique quilt, tho, I'm not pushing myself,to finish it before Christmas. However, the individual Santa blocks would make darling pillows for gifts so I may do a few of those.. No pressure... I may not craft gifts this year with us moving but we'll see.
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

I work better under pressure LOL

I'm planning to make some cell phone pillows for my cousin and her kids. Not sure I'll make it though.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

No shopping or gift making done here either. Time to get started. Think I'll make red pepper relish and make a cute little bag for it.

What is a cell phone pillow?

I am in creating table toppers for 6 people. The toppers are all different about 24" x 44" and are Christmas on one side and a spring or flowers on the other. I have the tops of 3 done (only them) and working on the other 3 more. However, I haven't got the backings yet. I have checked my fabric for the backings and also, ordered some beautiful backings. I should get them all done by the end of October. I always hand sew the bindings on all of them (while watching the snow and TV in the evenings before Christmas).
    Busy in Ohio

I'll be making some Christmas decorations for the house and tree ornaments. I going to make some small stuffed trees, crochet angels, snowman ornaments, hanging dishtowels, and Swedish heart ornaments. I have to finish making my Halloween witch's hat before I can start my Christmas decorations.

Here's a link to a video tutorial for a cell phone pillow. http://sew-whats-new.net/how-to-sew-...free-patterns/

I’ve completed placemat sets for all 3 siblings- not very Christmassy since they’re neant for year round use. I will be starting work on potholders for some of my barn friends. Still trying to figure out what to do for adult stepson, DIL and both Adult Granddaughters...not to mention my elderly parents...
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen

I have been making quilts for all the households in the family for the past few years. There are 4 households total. This year I think I will do the same time permitting. I purchased enough Christmas fabric last year on clearance to make them all. The pattern I wanted to use is:

http://inspiredbyfabric.blogspot.com...er-day-12.html

I really like the finished quilt. Hopefully making 4 copies of each block will speed up the fact that I planned to make 4. I may end up just making something small for everyone like zipper pouches, lol.

Wow....some of those projects sound very nice. I try to start in July if I'm going to make Christmas presents. This year, no dice. I'm not making any for Christmas. Focusing on finishing other gift quilts. I like that cell phone pillow. Was wondering if it would be useful for those of us who have a Kindle or Nook. I always read before bed and end up propping it on a pillow or leaning it on something (I don't like to just hold it). Hmmmmm, maybe a good idea for me? Everyone have fun with whatever you are making!

We're a small family in the stage where everyone is getting older (usual topic of conversation is who is on what meds and for why), even the "kids" are 30ish with no grand/great-grand children yet so don't do a lot for Christmas.

I do have a top I made for one of my cousins that I'd like to get finished in time for this year but don't know if I will get it done or not... That's why I keep what I'm doing hush-hush, the only deadlines are my own (top's been done but not quilted for a couple of years now). Top is lovely and I'm happy with my workmanship, a Roman Stripe, my cousin loves purple. The background is a dark dark Kona "Midnight Purple" and each set of stripes has at least one purple solid. It's funny how colors react with each other, some of the light purples look grey and some of the grey look purple - heck even some of the browns somehow have a purplish/plum cast! I designed a nice triangular quilting design that will repeat on each of the solid background and the striped triangles, it is a little complex and so when I'm rusty with my LA skills (like I am right now) I have to do a "practice" piece first, and then somehow life comes up and I don't get to the Roman Stripe for long enough that I have to do another practice and so forth...

I made a Garden Maze quilt for my mom a couple of years ago when she turned 80. I have material to make pillow cases to coordinate with it but have so far missed 2 birthdays and Christmas opportunities. In my defense, she doesn't use it on her bed -- maybe she would if I made the pillow cases??, so those are on my mind as well.

I'm not really planning on anything right now, but wanted to stop by and say "Petthefabric" is the best online handle I've seen here, yet.

I really like this pattern...thanks for sharing!
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
    I'm not really planning on anything right now, but wanted to stop by and say "Petthefabric" is the best online handle I've seen here, yet.

Thanks. It's all about the fabric and sensory stimulation.

Blog Entries
    I really like the looks of that quilt, but did someone find the pattern somewhere on the link?

I want to make a few zipper bags and put in a few goodies. And I'm doing a tree skirt for a gift. Nothing is started yet though.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by mmac71 View Post
    I really like the looks of that quilt, but did someone find the pattern somewhere on the link?
    Are you talking about the Christmas sampler? If you scroll down the page, there are links to all of the block patterns listed by day.

Quote Originally Posted by maudeflanagan View Post
    I have been making quilts for all the households in the family for the past few years. There are 4 households total. This year I think I will do the same time permitting. I purchased enough Christmas fabric last year on clearance to make them all. The pattern I wanted to use is:

I really like the finished quilt. Hopefully making 4 copies of each block will speed up the fact that I planned to make 4. I may end up just making something small for everyone like zipper pouches, lol.
    Thank you for the pattern link! Our guild does a block exchange with Christmas blocks, size 12.5".

I am going to be quilting a disappearing 9-patch from Christmas fabrics. Am going to a quilt retreat in a few weeks and that will be my project.

I try to make little gifts for our library staff each year. One year it was mug rugs, and this year it will be wristlet key fobs. I have a couple of small strips pieced and will attach them to heavy ribbon. We have 3 men on the staff now, so I will mix up the fabrics and colors to appeal to a variety.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for all the suggestions, Christmas is right around the corner
    Mary

My 12 cousins get together each month to stay in touch and have a fun day. We do a gift exchange each year and this year I am making everyone a composition book cover with the composition book and a pen. We are all of the age that we do still use paper and pen! Got the composition books for $.25 during the back to school sales and picked up a couple of packs of pens for about 3.00. We don't spend a lot for these little gifts. Got to get with it or will not get it done by Christmas. I too work better under pressure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
    Here's a link to a video tutorial for a cell phone pillow. http://sew-whats-new.net/how-to-sew-...free-patterns/
    **** It's a great link for a number of free patterns. Thank you! ****
    Last edited by thrums; 09-22-2018 at 08:32 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast