Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything. >

Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Christmas quilt for niece with dog who chews everything.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:00 AM

I think I would be offended if I had a chewing dog and someone made me a quilt and then said they would keep it for me until my dog could behave. Isn't that a back handed way of saying 'I don't think you're capable of training your dog'? The fact of the matter she hasn't trained the dog but making/saving a quilt is sorta in your face, so to speak. I vote for table runner & placemats and I would NEVER say anything about her dog's chewing problem. just sayin
Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 AM

I think I'd make a whole cloth quilt out of a Christmas print and then tie it instead of quilting it. That way if it gets chewed its no big deal and it is a "quilt."
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 AM

Try a tied fleece blanket/quilt, it's very soft and warm (for people) and extremely durable (for dogs that like to chew). Make a fleece dog toy for the dog!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
Make the quilt with love.... give it to her and let it go. Either you care enough about her to make one or it is more important how the quilt is cared for. I always appreciate it when someone I give a quilt to cares enough to take care of it. But when you give something away, it is no longer yours. It is the act of creating and giving that counts and not the how the person responds or how they use your gift. That is my 2 cents. (And oh yes, I do have lots of experience with the letting go and not always good results)
Oh yes I agree with you entirely. A gift given with expectations and conditions is not a gift at all. Give with a whole heart or not at all.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:15 AM

I've made a few quilts for dogs. I don't know what it is, but the dogs love the polyester batting. When they get on their quilt, they start to dig in and scrunch it up to make their bed. In that process, they usually tear the fabric with their claws and then they see the bat and start tugging at it. So I send along extra fabric to patch the holes. In the end, it looks like a scrappy quilt with these weird patches all over. Because of this, when I make a dog quilt, I don't put a lot of time/money into it, usually just get a panel fabric, use a thicker poly bat, and tie it.

But if you are making a quilt for the human, I agree that you should make what your heart inspires you to and give it away and not fret if the dog does chew it. If she comments about her dog's chewing, you can always say that you read somewhere about stuff to stop that. If she asks for more info, you can type the recipe out for her. They also have something called Bitter Apple that is used for the same thing.

My dogs kept chewing on the fence. So I brushed it with Tabasco Sauce. Guchi bit it once and got the message. Sweetie bit it, shook her head and barked at it, then bit it again. She bit it three times before she got the message. Problem solved.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM

Why not make her something very different a selection of bags purses etc to hold all her rubbish sorry important items
Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM

Maybe you could whip up the wall hanging on this blog she titled "Deconstructed" --

http://bittenbythequiltingbug.blogsp...revisited.html
Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
How about a wall quilt? Not all quilts have to go on a bed.
LOL!

This is a pic of my only hand quilting endeavor. It was a wall hanging, until my Ibis pulled it down and, well....
Attached Thumbnails dsc07802.jpg   dsc07803.jpg   dsc07804.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 05:50 AM

I am in the same boat so to speak with a 7 month old puppy. I decided to make a fleece tie blanket for him. He likes to drag anything he can chomp his teeth on...bathroom rug, kitchen rug, blankets rolled up in a large wicker backet.
my older dog has a flannel rag quilt which he sleeps with every night. The little dog tries to get it but only gets barked at when he rries to take it. When older dog not looking the smaller dog curls up in the quilt.
I tried the pepper spray and manufactured spray for staying off furniture but the little dog just loves it! Go figure!
Make him something that he can call his own but don't put much time into it. It's the thought that counts.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 AM

I would just be honest & why beat around the bush??? Quilts cost money & take time . I would just tell her your dog chews everything & I won't make a quilt for you until problem is solved ! To me it is plain stupid to give a quilt to someone that control a dog!